• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 oraven OFFLINE  

oraven

• Member No: 4702
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 03:19 AM

I have a need for a good picture of the wiring on a 317 JD kohler one cylinder.

Good Tractor but my memory is failing:-) need help with wiring.

:confuse:

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 06:38 AM

I have a need for a good picture of the wiring on a 317 JD kohler one cylinder.

Good Tractor but my memory is failing:-) need help with wiring.:confuse:

Welcome to the forum! A 317 should be a twin cylinder unless the engine has been changed. That is quite likely as the original engine had reliability issues. If you do have a 14hp k321 in the tractor then you can download the manual from the manuals section of this forum for the 200 series tractors. The electrical wiring is very similar. I just finished fixing the wiring on a 314 which is the little brother of the 317. I used the 200 series diagram as a guide. Service manuals for the 314/317 do not seem to be available free anywhere online. JD sells them for about 80$. So far I have been getting by without one. If you have any specific questions please post them and we will try to help.

#3 oraven OFFLINE  

oraven

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 11:50 AM

Thanks Brian I will do as you say the engine is a 341 kohler single cylinder I understood JD built some of these from the factory but I could be way off.

I sure do appreciate your help these older tractors aare sometimes hard to find data on I should buy the manual and post it.
I may do so when I get my first social security check:-)
My Father was a JD Block man for 37 years started in 1947 long since passed away but he would have been a great source in retirement miss him dearly.

Oraven

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 12:25 PM

Oraven, Are you sure that you don't have a 316 series 1. JD. built a 316 with the k341 in it. Maybe someone replaced the hood, they were the same on the 316-317

#5 MF14 plowday special OFFLINE  

MF14 plowday special

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4377
  • 33 Thanks
  • 255 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 01:02 PM

Oraven, Are you sure that you don't have a 316 series 1. JD. built a 316 with the k341 in it. Maybe someone replaced the hood, they were the same on the 316-317

Hmmm interesting discussion going here... I have known of 317 tractors being repowered with both K341 and K321 engines. The 317 series replaced the 316 Kohker series in 1979 I believe. The 316 frame had to be notched or cut out to accommodate the opposed twin cylinders and heads. Sooooooooooo if this tractor is a repowered 317 the side rails of the frame should be cut out

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 01:55 PM

It's hard to say what happened. If you look at the serial No. plate on the console the model is there, sort of. On my 314 it has M00314X then the serial no. So have a look and see what it says. If you go to weekend freedom machines.com they have a list of JD serial Numbers for each model by year if I remember correctly.
Electrically the K321 and 341 should be pretty close. The 341 may have an anti diesel solenoid on the carb. that the 321 doesn't have. In the 200 series manual the electrical diagrams are pretty close but some of the wire colours may be different. There is also the CTSM document for the 140. The hydro drive and rear axle is nearly identical to the early 300 series on the later serial no. 140's. You can also go on JDParts.com and get access to the parts diagrams. Some pictures might help with the ID.
  • MF14 plowday special said thank you

#7 oraven OFFLINE  

oraven

• 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 01:51 AM

This 317 I think is not re-powered but original, there are no cut out on frame. The serial numbers are C317j-127411m
engine serial #9920271
This has been a problem at times finding correct information my first go around with old JD mower:-)
Good machine ran for long time on a weak cylinder and piston. Blew a hole in the head a large crack in it, still ran to the shed, kinda woofing under powered but still ran!

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 11, 2011 - 10:07 AM

Cracked head! Are you going to rebuild the engine or look for another one. There a probably options to go to a twin Vanguard or Honda engine as well.

#9 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 16, 2011 - 04:02 PM

Cracked head! Are you going to rebuild the engine or look for another one. There a probably options to go to a twin Vanguard or Honda engine as well.

I seem to remember reading somewhere, if you repower with a vanguard, you have to cut the side panels as it is wider than the kohler. But I could be wrong. As far as the 16hp one lunger being stock, never heard of that. Series I KT17 kohlers, onan, then series II KT 17 kohler from what I have read were the 3 different engines that were in them. And I believe the onan was only used to retro-fit tractor with the series I.