• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 09:12 PM

Well, as some of you know. There was a Bolens that I had my eye on for the past 4 months. Every day I would drive by and see it sitting there in the yard. I kept looking to see if anyone was home but no one was ever around. I even knocked on the Door, and still no one there. Well, today Someone was finally outside so I stop. His wife came outside. She told me what she knew about it and that her husband would be around later tonight, so I came back when he was home and inspected the Bolens some more.The Bolens was in Rough shape. A square backed snow blower was sitting next to it. As soon as I greet him, The guy said he wanted to get $250 for it. There was also a deck with it that was sitting in the dirt and covered with debris and leaves. The deck looked sound but the spindles and gear Box were frozen solid. The guy kept telling me that he paid alot more for it than he was selling it for. And he kept telling me he has got alot of people looking at it. ( I find that hard to believe, because the thing has been sitting there for about 5 months.) I go to turn the engine over by hand and the starter is frozen. he takes the starter belt off and The engine is free, but there is no compression what so ever. I told him that in the condition everything is in , and not knowing the status of the transmission and engine I'd go no more than $175 for everything and he said NO. Then he tryed to scare me again by saying he'll just part it out on ebay. By this point I was getting a little angry,So I said unless I see it running I'm not going to pay anymore than that. I told him I know my tubeframes and that he probably will never get what he is asking. So I drove away empty handed. I really didnt need another 1050 anyway. If I end up getting another I'd probably want to get a 12 HP hydro one like a 1256 or something. Mabye even a 1250.......:wave:

Edited by Bolens 1000, April 06, 2010 - 09:44 PM.
Spelling

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 09:38 PM

You did the right thing, sad it may be, but still the right thing. If he paid more in the same condition, then he screwed up. Likely it was in better condition & maybe the price he paid was fair. Funny how some people give X dollars for something, let it sit & rot, then think it's still worth what they paid!

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 09:42 PM

Yeah, I'm glad I did what I did. Everything was rusted up pretty good. It sat out in the elements for who knows how long ,and it was buried in the snow this winter. It was definietly not worth the asking price.

#4 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 06, 2010 - 10:13 PM

There was a real nice 1054 for 250 down here on CL not into anything pre1972, had to pass, good deal? I don't know

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 07, 2010 - 04:49 AM

Sorry it turned out that way Brian.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 07, 2010 - 07:46 AM

You did the right thing Brian. It sucks passing stuff up but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, especially when the seller won't budge and they think it is worth more and that it may be a gold mine.

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 07, 2010 - 09:04 AM

Well, I drove by this morning, and the Bolens and attachments were gone. I'm guessing he dragged it behind the House to make it look like he sold it. :ass: :D

#8 NUTNDUN ONLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 07, 2010 - 01:01 PM

Wouldn't that be funny if that is what he did. Although it would be funny too if he sold it for what he was asking. Talk about coincidence LOL

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 07, 2010 - 02:37 PM

Wouldn't that be funny if that is what he did. Although it would be funny too if he sold it for what he was asking. Talk about coincidence LOL

I doubt he sold it. It was around 7:30pm when I left his house last night. The chances are pretty slim that he was able to sell it that very night. There was no For sale sign on it, And I went by the house at 7:00 am.

#10 Raspy ONLINE  

Raspy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 113
  • 1 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted April 07, 2010 - 10:03 PM

As soon as you found out the guy liked it more than you did or tried to convince you how valuable it was, the conversation was pretty much over. Deals come along when they come along and not necessarily when you want them too. My motto is "never buy a car when you need one". But it is disapointing to find a cool thing and have it slip away because of an attitude.

#11 pulltilbroke OFFLINE  

pulltilbroke

MMMMmmmm DIESEL

• Contributor
  • Member No: 50
  • 469 Thanks
  • 454 posts

Posted April 07, 2010 - 10:13 PM

I have found this all to often to be the case, seems like it rains tractor when you don't have the bread to buy em up but when your looking and have the cash there is nothing to be found anywhere

#12 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted April 08, 2010 - 07:22 AM

Sounds like you did the right thing, Brian.

#13 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted May 03, 2010 - 09:34 PM

Hey Brian,
I passed by that thing numerous times, and I have stopped to look at it a few times. It is in very rough shape and like you said the guy wouldn't budge off $250. He said he bought it off a friend for $650 a year ago and that everything worked great. The only reason he wasn't using it was because the gas tank developed a leak(rusted). I did the same, found the mower deck laying in the dirt, the blower sitting in the dirt and the tractor has been outside for at least a year. The steering was siezed, starter siezed and motor like you said needs work. I'm sure thats not all thats wrong with it. If he paid $650 from a friend for that junk he better find a new some new friends!!!! Oh well I doubt he sold it, If he did I feel sorry for the poor soul who got ripped off at $250. He probably put it out back with the rest of his junk he has laying around everywhere. Good job walking away. I have a hard time doing that!!

#14 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted May 04, 2010 - 05:25 AM

Hey Brian,
I passed by that thing numerous times, and I have stopped to look at it a few times. It is in very rough shape and like you said the guy wouldn't budge off $250. He said he bought it off a friend for $650 a year ago and that everything worked great. The only reason he wasn't using it was because the gas tank developed a leak(rusted). I did the same, found the mower deck laying in the dirt, the blower sitting in the dirt and the tractor has been outside for at least a year. The steering was siezed, starter siezed and motor like you said needs work. I'm sure thats not all thats wrong with it. If he paid $650 from a friend for that junk he better find a new some new friends!!!! Oh well I doubt he sold it, If he did I feel sorry for the poor soul who got ripped off at $250. He probably put it out back with the rest of his junk he has laying around everywhere. Good job walking away. I have a hard time doing that!!

yep, that's the same tractor

#15 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 08:05 PM

UPDATE:
Its back outside sitting near the driveway...rotting away....