16 replies to this topic

#16 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 10:28 AM

Thanks! I might get to try it out next week when I head back to my grandparents farm.

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 12:29 PM

Nice Find!! Bill and Craftsman kid you are both right on the engineering thing. I worked 16 yrs in the Farmhand Plant building farm machinery.
The neatest job in the factory was Experimental Engineer. The Engineers in the office would design machinery.
The blueprints would go to the Experimental shop, where guys with engineering degrees and mechanical talents, would fabricate and machine all the parts and assemble the prototype. Then they would take it out in the field and beat it till it broke, to find design flaws.
Then it was back to the drawing board and the process started over. Once they had found all the flaws(which could take an infinite number of revisions and prototypes), the product would go to the production floor to see if there were flaws in the design that made production difficult or too costly.
A product may take years to go from concept to a produceable item.
Engineering (and Machining & Fabrication) are professions worthy of pursuing regardless of where you find yourself in life. you you will use it daily.
One of the engineers I worked with is a Vice president of Sales for a major Ag Company(much larger than Farmhand ever was) . So you never know where it might take you but is good experience you will use daily.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 14, 2011 - 12:37 PM.