Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,713 Thanks
  • 1,793 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 10:12 PM

I have a Dayton 3Z678A, which is a private label of the White 142-995.

IMG_20170517_175305490.jpg

I got the ol' girl out of winter storage today, put a battery in her and cranked her up.  She started good and runs okay, so I hooked up my 3ph Aerator to do my lawn and some neighbors.

I started noticing little drops of oil where I looped around on driveways, etc.  Got to checking and it appears the lift cylinder is leaking from the rod end.  My parts book says it's a 727-0159. 

Does anyone know if this cylinder can be rebuilt, and if so, where can I find the kit?

Also, what fluid do you recommend for the hydro/hydraulics.  The manual recommends straight 20 weight SE, SC, or CC rated oil, although straight 30 weight, IHC Hytran and Dexron B can be used.

Regards,

Smitty

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 4,311 Thanks
  • 3,417 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 10:41 PM

Nice tractor.

Found one on Ebay. Looks to be NOS but not cheap.

https://www.ebay.com....m4383.l4275.c4

I'm not sure how that one is put together but you can technically rebuild any cylinder If you can get it apart. I've seen some that were welded together and some had a nut and some that had a locking ring. 

It might be easier to find one that has the same stroke and adapt it to work on your tractor. Finding one with the same eye might be difficult.

You could make this one work. It's $50 shipped. https://www.ebay.com...rcAAOSwy6hamEuf

The Traveller Universal hydraulic fluid that they sell at Tractor Supply TSC is slightly thicker than Hytran but is listed as a Hytran replacement. It might be just thick enough to seal up your cylinder. $20 for 2 gallon. 

https://www.tractors...lic-fluid-2-gal

Pull your cylinder out and flush it with kerosene or diesel fuel. It might have some gunk built up in it that's causing the leak. 

Edited by EricFromPa, April 17, 2018 - 10:48 PM.

• Utah Smitty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Utah Smitty ONLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,713 Thanks
  • 1,793 posts

Posted April 18, 2018 - 09:48 AM

Thanks, Eric. Tractor Supply finally opened some stores here in Utah a couple years ago...I like their products and the prices best the big box stores.

I'll try out their fluid

Smitty

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,797 Thanks
  • 7,290 posts

Posted April 18, 2018 - 10:01 AM

The welded ones can be rebuilt also.  Have to grind the weld down to the cylinder,  then cut through the outside and it comes apart.  Mark where it joins for purring it back together.  New "O" rings installed and then wire welded back together.  I have not done one but did have one done at my local welding shop.  Have to wrap both ends in cold water soaked rags to keep it cool, changed frequently.  I don't trust my welding that far and welded is not heavy enough.

• Utah Smitty and VTXrider have said thanks

#5 VTXrider OFFLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 551 Thanks
  • 399 posts

Posted April 18, 2018 - 06:01 PM

The lift cylinder can be rebuilt. I have done 3. Unscrew the front fitting and the piston can be pulled out with the seal block. 

Hard part is getting the piston or the clevis off without damaging the shaft or piston. They are screwed on very tight.  The leaking o-ring is inside the shaft block. All o-rings were found at Ace Hardware in their plumbing o-ring assortment.

Use blue Locktite on the threads of the shaft when reassembling.

Straight 30W oil will work fine in the transaxle as will 20W hydraulic oil from TSC. 30W in the winter is a slower warmup.

Eric from PA - that cylinder has had the clevis welded onto the shaft. The clevis breaks off due to a very poor design. When it pulls to lift the deck or rear implement, there is side force applied to the clevis. Welding can sometimes be successful but will fail again for the same reason it broke originally.

Attached Thumbnails

• Image01.jpg

Edited by VTXrider, April 18, 2018 - 06:18 PM.

• Utah Smitty and Rock farmer have said thanks

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,849 Thanks
  • 8,036 posts

Posted April 18, 2018 - 07:21 PM

Pack of soaker pads, lay under tractor, Cheap and Done!  That's what I would have to do now, never time to work on stuff anymore. VTX here is the Guru on these tractors, good wisdom!

• Utah Smitty, Rock farmer and VTXrider have said thanks

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,849 Thanks
  • 8,036 posts

Posted April 20, 2018 - 07:32 AM

A note, just saw one for sale, the whole cylinder and control on some for sale site. I can't recall now, and I'm on many. Try Just Garden Tractors group on facebook.  Sorry I didn't right info down, was funny it came up after seeing this issue on here.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dayton, 727-0159, 3z678a, mtd, 142-995