• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 05:51 AM

Lots of good ideas here. Thanks for all the input. My Ford weights 856 pounds from the factory with no attachments, hydriv. With fuel and oils added, it gets awful close to a 1000 lbs. Throw on the deck, and it's over. That's why I bought a 3000 lb. winch, plenty of strength. Just need a sky hook to attach it to, anybody got a spare one hanging around.:rofl2::rofl2:

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 06:36 AM

I put this in my garage for lifting with a trolley & chain hoist , 4" I beam held up with 2 truck spring U-joints at each end with bolts through the eye beam at the middle ( might not be able to see them ) the rafters are 2x8" and laying on top the length of the I beam is a 2x12" laying flat , kind of like a big washer . Even though it seems strong for most jobs but when I used it to install a small block Chevy w/auto trans together P7080351.jpg I added some temporary 4x4's post , " just in case " . Also I have an assortment jack stands & 6x6 wood blocking once the load is raised weather it's from this or the floor jack

Attached Thumbnails

• P7080352.jpg

#18 DGS345 OFFLINE  

DGS345

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 06:52 AM

how about a set of auto mobile ramps. I know they are not the best answer but would work and are pretty low risk for injury

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 07:07 AM

how about a set of auto mobile ramps. I know they are not the best answer but would work and are pretty low risk for injury

Ramps take up more space, but I sometimes use them. When needing to work under the tractor, I slip them under with the floor jack so they point away from underneath.

#20 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 08:23 AM

Lots of good ideas here. Thanks for all the input. My Ford weights 856 pounds from the factory with no attachments, hydriv. With fuel and oils added, it gets awful close to a 1000 lbs. Throw on the deck, and it's over. That's why I bought a 3000 lb. winch, plenty of strength. Just need a sky hook to attach it to, anybody got a spare one hanging around.:rofl2::rofl2:

Kenny,
My hoist idea isn't expected to lift the total weight of the tractor.

It only has to lift the front of the tractor off the ground. For the sake of the discussion, let's say your tractor weighs 1150 WET with a deck. Let's say that 60 percent of the weight is on the two front tires. The winch would have to lift 690 LBS for about 3 feet before that 690 LBS would start to transfer to the rear wheels. The higher the winch lifted the front of the tractor, the greater the amount of transfer of weight to the rear wheels. By the time the front of the tractor was at 5 feet from the ground, the winch would be lifting less than 100 LBS. Once the tractor is dead vertical, the only pull on the winch cable would be in balancing the tractor in the vertical position.

The winch is rated at 1500 LBS. It has a substantial gear reduction box that would be difficult to override even if the tractor was dead weight and hanging from it.

This is a low cost solution.

If you move, you can pack up the winch in a small space and take it to your next home.

It takes up zero real-estate in your garage.

It can be used for other things.

It puts no strain on your body to operate it.

Since you only use it a couple times per year, it should last you for decades to come.

If you make the cable double back to the winch and add a snatch-block, then you can lift 3000 LBS with it but the lift rate takes twice as long.

You could put in a suitable I-beam with a trolley on it that would allow you to position the winch anywhere along the beam.

Of course, everyone is welcome to choose whatever method they wish but floorspace in most garages, shops, sheds etc is pretty valuable. No matter what size building we have, it is never big enough. We all manage to max it out pretty quickly and then dream of something larger. If there is a downside to my suggestion, then please tell me what it is.
  • KennyP said thank you

#21 DouglasFir OFFLINE  

DouglasFir

• Member No: 4698
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 11:42 AM

You guys will probably laugh at me but remember, I'm new to working on engines and tractors---it's only been a few months now. I have never even tinkered with a car before. I bought this house five years ago and the previous owner had an auto shop built in the back corner of the property some years prior. I've only used it for storing furniture but here is a photo of it when I bought the place. It's probably the type of shop a lot of guys would like to have and I guess I already have a hoist! I thought it was called a winch but what do I know? I didn't even think of using this thing for lifting my tractors as I thought it was for doing something with engines. I'm glad hydriv gave such a detailed description of how to use these things. Now I just need to move a bunch of furniture to clear some space around this thing and figure out how it works. Thanks hydriv for your helpful information.
Hoist_2006_10.jpg

#22 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 01:19 PM

Life is a constant learning curve. Don't sweat it. We all started out knowing nothing.

What you have there is called many things. Chain fall is one term, Chain block is another. Chain hoist is used by some people. Others will chime in with their description.

You have two types of chains on that hoist. One chain is lighter in weight than the other and it travels in a circle because it is continuous. This chain is the one that causes the heavier chain with the hook on it to move upward or downward depending on which side of the light chain you pull down on. It's very simple to use. That one is likely a one ton rating. You can stop lifting the load at any time and it will stay put due to the gear reduction in the head of the hoist.

#23 lsmith2610 OFFLINE  

lsmith2610

• Member No: 4533
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 01:27 PM

I agree way to risky. farm jacks have many usages, but thats not one.

#24 tankdriver OFFLINE  

tankdriver

• Member No: 3674
  • 2 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 03:34 PM

This is what I use. I have had it about 2 years, and am very happy with it. I took the bolt and lock nut out where the screw fastens to the frame, and used a pin and clivis pin where it would fold flat in just a couple seconds for storage.....

You drive on it and crank it up. They give you a speed handle and a power drill adpater to run the screw, I use the drill. It runs about 100 bucks at Sportsman guide.

not my mower shown....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by tankdriver, July 09, 2011 - 03:40 PM.

#25 DouglasFir OFFLINE  

DouglasFir

• Member No: 4698
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 01:15 AM

I got the shop building cleaned out enough to clear the area below the hoist, drove the tractor in and within five minutes had the thing lifted high enough to easily change the blades----all without getting myself underneath. Thanks hydriv for educating me about what a chain hoist is for. I had the tool right here in-front of me for the last five years and didn't even know it!

#26 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 04:28 AM

I just love "happy endings", don't you? (sigh......)

#27 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 12, 2011 - 08:14 AM

I got the shop building cleaned out enough to clear the area below the hoist, drove the tractor in and within five minutes had the thing lifted high enough to easily change the blades----all without getting myself underneath. Thanks hydriv for educating me about what a chain hoist is for. I had the tool right here in-front of me for the last five years and didn't even know it!

That's Great News! And yes I'm envious, that's the kind of building I want to build on my place. I only have a small two car garage and a gabled roof storage shed now.

#28 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted July 13, 2011 - 09:02 PM

I too use the chain hoist. I have an 8' 2x8 spanning over the top of the rafters and maybe three more set up each a little shorter. I have two long eye bolts (welded shut) that I have a chain hoist hooked to. I have used it to pull car motors and even front wheel drive motor & transaxle's I have been known to unload shop equipment and tractors too.

Posted Image

#29 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 03:19 PM

I pull under the apple tree, hook up the cable come-along and go at it.

#30 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,592 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted August 09, 2011 - 10:19 PM

This is my mower/ATV lift. I just drive the front tires of the mower on the lift and hit the lever. It has a capacity of 2500 pounds and is electric over hydraulic. In the picture it is more than high enough to clean out the grass buildup but by tying the front axle on I can stand the deck straight up. If I am going to be under it, I place jackstands under the lift and strap the mower so it can't roll off the lift. Works pretty sweet! I got this lift free out of the city dump several years ago. The lift frame [not free] is self propelled, air-conditioned, and four wheel drive. :bigrofl:

lift.jpg
Posted Image
  • KennyP said thank you