16 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,347 Thanks
  • 1,502 posts

Posted April 16, 2018 - 03:50 PM

So, I read that youtube uses algorithms or artificial intelligence to determine which commercials to show me.  I am not talking about the popup ads, just the commercial videos that interrupt the show.  Anyway, that got me thinking, can i teach it which ads not to show me, or more importantly, not to show me the commercials at all?

Apparently you can. Every time a commercial started, I closed the browser as if the ad crashed my browser, and then restarted the browser and went back to the video.  If it played a commercial again, I repeated the process a couple of times.  If it didn't stop, I would give up and come back in a week or so and try again.  I've been doing it for about three months, and I am down to one commercial every couple of weeks.  

• DH1, Cvans, boyscout862 and 6 others have said thanks

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 11,010 Thanks
  • 5,978 posts

Posted April 16, 2018 - 04:03 PM

They get paid every time the commercial starts to play so you're making them rich anyway!  In order to watch commercial free you have to...

YUP-  Give them $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..  

(Just like this website!)  

I just mute E-mercial and turnt he sound back on when they end.  Also you can skip many E-mercials after 5 seconds (Skip commercial box appears)

BTW--  If you are jonesing for commercials you can always turn on the TV!!

• boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Doxey have said thanks

#3 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 393 Thanks
  • 436 posts

Posted April 16, 2018 - 04:41 PM

I just use an ad blocker. Some of the money from the ads goes to the video creators as well though, not just YT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner, Sawdust and Doxey have said thanks

#4 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 211 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 16, 2018 - 05:18 PM

Ad Blocker Plus.  I never see any ads.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#5 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,495 Thanks
  • 6,179 posts

Posted April 16, 2018 - 05:50 PM

I used to use as block quite frequently. But. I watched avideo from a YouTube channel that I got a gre as t deal of enjoyment from. He posted a new video or two every day. 30 minutes each.

He made a video saying that YouTube showed him the percentage of the ads that were being blocked. It was like 30 or 40 percent. He said that it cost him enough money that he was going to have to close his channel.

I removed ad block and just skip the ads when I can. If I enjoy their content I can support them. Some may go to google but I can deal with that

Keep in mind not all videos play ads because they are not monetized. So your idea may not be working at all. It might be your are simply watching videos that don't have ads.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
  • boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Doxey have said thanks

#6 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • 211 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 16, 2018 - 08:21 PM

I  used to  get many ads until i installed Ad Blocker Plus.  One short ad at the beginning would be ok, but when they keep coming, i would just leave.  But not now.  If people want to make money, just get a real job

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,970 Thanks
  • 3,244 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 03:27 AM

I switched from Ad Block+ to AdGuard about a year ago. Pirated full version. You can block Anything on Any web site. I don't see any ads on youtube at all. And it works on all Phones and Tablets as well which is awesome.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Doxey have said thanks

#8 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,495 Thanks
  • 6,179 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 05:16 AM

I used to get many ads until i installed Ad Blocker Plus. One short ad at the beginning would be ok, but when they keep coming, i would just leave. But not now. If people want to make money, just get a real job

Define real job in 2018. Its 1950 not anymore. Digital content creators make a good living. If I was creative enough I would be doing it.

I dont know what you do for a living but how would you feel if someone stole your product from you? Essentially that's what you are doing by running ad block. You are stealing money from website creators. Many websites and services are free because of advertisements.

Running ad block on gttalk has the ability to do potential harm. The hosts of this webpage make zero money from you posting and charge you zero dollars(unless you choose to be a site supporter) They do however make money from ads being displayed. They dont make money, they close the site.

Edited by toomanytoys84, April 17, 2018 - 05:17 AM.

• Cvans, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Doxey have said thanks

#9 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,347 Thanks
  • 1,502 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 08:12 AM

Define real job in 2018. Its 1950 not anymore. Digital content creators make a good living. If I was creative enough I would be doing it.

I dont know what you do for a living but how would you feel if someone stole your product from you? Essentially that's what you are doing by running ad block. You are stealing money from website creators. Many websites and services are free because of advertisements.

Running ad block on gttalk has the ability to do potential harm. The hosts of this webpage make zero money from you posting and charge you zero dollars(unless you choose to be a site supporter) They do however make money from ads being displayed. They dont make money, they close the site.

I think we missed the point I was trying to make.  I was trying to say you can teach Google/Youtube to do what you want it to do, because it tries to learn.  I was trying to provoke a discussion about what else you could teach Google to do for you.

• Cvans and Doxey have said thanks

#10 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 7,067 Thanks
  • 6,285 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 09:06 AM

:yeah_that:  :iagree:

Edited by Cvans, April 17, 2018 - 09:10 AM.

• Doxey said thank you

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 14,261 Thanks
  • 10,108 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 06:01 PM

how would you feel if someone stole your product from you? Essentially that's what you are doing by running ad block. You are stealing money from website creators. Many websites and services are free because of advertisements.

Aaron, I think you may be missing the point on how and why this site was created. This site was created by a dude named George to share and promote this hobby. It was not created to be a revenue stream. It was built by the members. It grew because of the members. It was attractive to a buyer (Carbon Media, in this case) because of the passion, collective knowledge, and donations of the members. The current ownership of this site had absolutely nothing, nada, zip, zilch, bupkis, to do with building up and making this site what it is today. Arguments can be made that they have been delinquent in the promoting and upkeeping of this site since the buyout, even. So, if we're running adblock we're stealing from ourselves as much as any entity such as Carbon Media.

There is 68 members and 1,095 guests currently viewing the site. The guests are the folks that get the full brunt of the ads displayed on this site, by signing in as a member you don't see as many. I think CM can be happy with the revenue stream coming from the 1,095 guests, and the 68 members can keep on posting and attracting more visitors, new members, and building the analytics up. That way we can teach Google that we are the place to discuss garden tractors.

Edited by Cat385B, April 17, 2018 - 06:08 PM.

• DH1, Cvans and Doxey have said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,495 Thanks
  • 6,179 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 06:11 PM

I understand full well why this site was created. I have been part of more than one enthusiast forum that was created for the same purpose. All but 1 of those was sold off to a group much like carbon media. And after they were sold the Original membership fell apart.

If those 1068 visitors ran ad block and the site generated 0 revenue would it still be here? Carbon media group cares zero about the tractors and all about what this site brings in as cash. I'm sure they aren't going to pay for hosting for 68 members to talk about tractors.

Advertisements pay for hosting and give incentive to the creators to keep doing the work.

Were there ads here before carbon media?

Don't quite understand why you are so upset....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edited by toomanytoys84, April 17, 2018 - 06:14 PM.

• Cat385B said thank you

#13 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • 211 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 06:14 PM

Edited by Doxey, April 17, 2018 - 06:16 PM.

#14 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • 211 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 06:17 PM

So, big deal.  

#15 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • 211 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 06:35 PM

I said short ads in the beginning of the video, not the ones in the middle.  Also "still" ads along the borders are ok too.  Besides, these videos seem more like hobbies then a job.