• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 08, 2011 - 09:35 AM

so with the newly acquired cub. when i turn the key to the start position. nothing happens you just hear a knock. just 1 knock. anyone have an idea of what it is? it sounds like it coming from the dash or under it.

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 10:56 AM

so with the newly acquired cub. when i turn the key to the start position. nothing happens you just hear a knock. just 1 knock. anyone have an idea of what it is? it sounds like it coming from the dash or under it.

That is the start solenoid engaging, so it IS getting power. If the cable leading from it to the starter is also getting power when engaged, then likely a starter issue. If the power is not making it to that cable, then the solenoid is likely bad.

#3 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 08, 2011 - 11:48 AM

well theres 2 orange wires in my wire harness i can see are cut. any idea where they go to? also how much is a starter?

#4 Texas Deere and Horse ONLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 11:56 AM

j, Try putting a set of jumper cables on the starter directly to the battery and see if it will turn the motor over. If it does, it's a bad solenoid, if it doesn't, the starter needs rebuilt. You may have a starter, alternator rebuild shop around your area, if so take the starter to them and see what they want to rebuild.

#5 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 08, 2011 - 12:01 PM

the starter was moving last night, slowly, and struggling. can i rebuild it myself? =D i know a kit is 55 bucks, which i would invest since it would increase my turn around.