• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 758 Thanks
  • 387 posts

Posted April 12, 2018 - 10:20 PM

Hey Guys, I have been looking for a sleeve hitch for my 1669L XL series tractor for a while with no luck. I decided to fabricate one from the parts drawings on the forum. Then I happened to be PMing Paulgo and he mentioned he had a sleeve hitch for sale that would fit my 1669L tractor. I purchased it from Paulgo and received it in the mail about a month ago.

Today I had a chance to begin to clean the sleeve hitch up and to paint the brackets.

Here are the before pictures.

DSCN5712.JPG                         DSCN5714.JPG

DSCN5713.JPG

Setting up and started preparing the brackets for paint.

DSCN5787.JPG                         DSCN5797.JPG

DSCN5796.JPG                         DSCN5798.JPG

DSCN5799.JPG                         DSCN5794.JPG

Cleaned the brackets with lacquer thinner and applied 3 light coats of self etching primer waiting 2 minutes in between coats.

DSCN5795.JPG

You have to wait 30 minutes for the self etching primer to dry before applying the dark hunter green gloss enamel. Applied three light coats of dark hunter green gloss enamel waiting 2 minutes between coats.

DSCN5800.JPG

The clear coat can be applied 2 minutes after the last coat of dark hunter green is applied. Applied 3 light coats of gloss clear coat enamel.

DSCN5801.JPG

Here is the finished bracket.

DSCN5802.JPG

• Alc, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 6 others have said thanks

#2 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 4,015 Thanks
  • 2,883 posts

Posted April 13, 2018 - 03:36 AM

Spring is almost here, good time to put it to use. What attachments do you plan on using with it?

• logmillingman said thank you

#3 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,315 Thanks
  • 1,142 posts

Posted April 13, 2018 - 06:48 AM

Hey that's great. Like Tom says it's time to get it ready for work. 

#4 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 205 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted April 13, 2018 - 06:59 AM

nice job!

I picked up a "trigger handle" for the spray from the local sherwin-williams shop - think it's krylon brand(?) - makes spraying with cans much easier - don't get a cramp in the index finger

again - nice job - looks like you're ready for a show....

#5 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 758 Thanks
  • 387 posts

Posted April 13, 2018 - 08:18 AM

Spring is almost here, good time to put it to use. What attachments do you plan on using with it?

Thanks Tom I plan on using a Agra-Fab 42" box grader on the sleeve hitch to grade my driveway. Picked up the box grader last year on sale, it is still brand new in the box.

Hey that's great. Like Tom says it's time to get it ready for work. 

Thanks Ed can't wait to use it, looking forward to giving my 1669L something to pull against, Bolens tractors love to go to work!

nice job!

I picked up a "trigger handle" for the spray from the local sherwin-williams shop - think it's krylon brand(?) - makes spraying with cans much easier - don't get a cramp in the index finger

again - nice job - looks like you're ready for a show....

Thanks firedudeti1 I do have a handle but sometimes on the small parts spraying with my finger on the spray tip itself give me more control. I use the handle on the larger parts. I know what you mean your hand cramps up after awhile doing large surfaces.

Its kind of like doing base coat clear coat on a car, the clear gives it a deeper richer finish and also  more protection but this system has no hardener in it. I like making things look good even though I will be using it for work and it will get scratched up. 

The nice thing about the rust-oleum and also Krylon (check with Krylon Tech service on their instructions) is you can do primer and finish all at the same time so the part or piece is complete in one setup, that is why I explained the process with the pictures. unless you are going to do some high end automotive type work this makes the process easy and fun. Once finished you can hang the parts in another area to dry and cure and then cover them and store them away and move on to the next set of pieces to be painted. It just gives me peace of mind that I know that part is done, out of the way, and protected from damage.

For the large pieces like hood and fenders once the three clear coats are sprayed I would let it cure for a week come back and wet sand the paint surface and apply 3 more coats of clear. After that has cured it can be buffed out.

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#6 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 758 Thanks
  • 387 posts

Posted April 13, 2018 - 08:26 AM

Also wanted to give Paulgo a big THANK YOU! :wave: for thinking about me on that sleeve hitch, it was timely, he did not know I was looking for one. I am very happy to have it, it will be going to work this spring!

• KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and Paulgo have said thanks

#7 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 758 Thanks
  • 387 posts

Posted April 13, 2018 - 09:03 AM

One more thought the clear coat enamel is very touchy, on the first bracket I applied it a little to heavy on one side and it started to run. Spray it on light it may not seem like it is enough but it is and it will flow together nicely.

Other wise if you are like me you will be back out there sanding it and re shooting it again with the color and clear. :D

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#8 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 721 Thanks
  • 471 posts

Posted April 13, 2018 - 11:06 AM

Wasn't really sure I wanted to part with it until I heard the grin in your response. Glad to see it coming together for you!

Paul

• KennyP, WrenchinOnIt, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#9 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 540 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted April 13, 2018 - 01:13 PM

I have a nos sleeve hitch for that. It's for sale .
  • KennyP and logmillingman have said thanks

#10 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 758 Thanks
  • 387 posts

Posted April 13, 2018 - 09:11 PM

I had a little time today to work on the sleeve hitch again. I prepared the cable bracket for paint.

DSCN5803.JPG                             DSCN5804.JPG

DSCN5805.JPG

Applied 3 light coats of primer, dark hunter green, and clear coat enamel.

DSCN5809.JPG                             DSCN5810.JPG

DSCN5812.JPG

Began to prepare the sleeve hitch for paint.

DSCN5814.JPG

• WrenchinOnIt, TomLGT195, 29 Chev and 1 other said thanks

#11 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • 758 Thanks
  • 387 posts

Posted April 14, 2018 - 07:09 PM

Today I took sometime to finish preparing the sleeve hitch for paint.

DSCN5814.JPG

There was wear from use to the sleeve hitch so I took the grinder and cleaned up the metal.

DSCN5815.JPG                                 DSCN5816.JPG

Took the mig welder and filled in the metal where it was worn then ground down the weld.

DSCN5817.JPG                                 DSCN5818.JPG

DSCN5819.JPG

Whipped the sleeve hitch down with lacquer thinner and sprayed it with Rust-oleum Rust Reformer. I used Rust Reformer because there were places that still had a light rust residue that was impossible the remove without sandblasting.

DSCN5820.JPG                                 DSCN5821.JPG

DSCN5822.JPG                                 DSCN5823.JPG

The weather is turning cold for the next few days so that will put a stop to the progress. All that is left to do is finish paint the sleeve hitch and recondition the lift cable.

• KennyP, WrenchinOnIt, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#12 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 9,996 Thanks
  • 3,237 posts

Posted April 15, 2018 - 07:32 AM

Do you know if this version of sleeve hitch is the same shape and width as one for a tube frame?  Just wondering if the only difference is the lift brackets or if there are other differences?

• logmillingman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#13 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,689 Thanks
  • 986 posts

Posted April 15, 2018 - 08:21 AM

Do you know if this version of sleeve hitch is the same shape and width as one for a tube frame?  Just wondering if the only difference is the lift brackets or if there are other differences?

The hitch it’s self looks to be ,I’ll do a comparison when/if we can get a few more days like yesterday and the day before. If you want a looksee , pic four shows the hitch mounted on the 1669 more pieces than a TF one but again the frame looks the same.

http://gardentractor...69l#entry680025
  • 29 Chev and logmillingman have said thanks

#14 Corvairguy ONLINE  

Corvairguy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 89226
  • 103 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted April 15, 2018 - 09:20 AM

Hmm... thanks for posting pictures; they triggered a vague memory.  I think I got one when I purchased my H16 25 years ago or so. I'll have to dig around in the barn and look for it.  Dumb (really dumb)  :bigrofl:  question... what's it for?

#15 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 205 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted April 15, 2018 - 12:15 PM

thanks for the update on the project and the painting process - I usually wait until the next day to recoat - nice to know I could be doing it more quickly

great looking job!