5 replies to this topic

#1 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 07:58 AM

Thursday is my usual mowing day so later in the afternoon I went to the shed and backed out the 106. It started right up and I was feeling good about myself since I had just changed the oil and put a new ($) belt on the pto to deck drive also sharpened the blades, greased etc. So I cut the front first usually and I was able to make one pass when it started to slow down a little and finally died. Pull out the choke, restart, it dies again. Hmmm, I've been here before I think. Pulled the sediment bowl off and sure enough, no gas coming through. I couldn't get it going long enough to move to the driveway so I'm out in the middle of the lawn working on this. Run to garage, get tools and drain pan, take off gas tank and drain it. I didn't see any big goobers in the fuel when I emptied the tank and I had to scrounge around to find a paint filter cone to run the gas through. Tank back on and filled, turn on the gas and still no gas! So it has to be the sediment bowl asm. Off with the tank again, drain gas, etc and remove and disassemble the sediment bowl thingy. I didn't want to haul out the air compressor and hose for this job so I found a can of computer duster air stuff and blew out the holes. Tank back on, gas in and finally have some gas flowing freely except now it fills up the glass bowl and starts running down around the outside! Off with the bowl and check the gasket. Yeah it's probably the one from 1969 and its got a crack in the edge. Can't run it like this with gas dripping down on the side of the engine and ignition coil. By now it's almost 5:30 and closet dealer is the next town over. Checked on the internet parts supplier site and find out the gasket is $3.47. The dinky glass bowl is $14! I'm glad I didn't drop that! So I'm setting there draining a brewski and I kinda remembered having some sheet cork in the garage somewhere. Out to the garage and hunt up the cork and a compass along with some iris scissors I got at the flea market. The cork was about 1/16" thick so I figured I didn't have much to lose except time.Using the bowl to draw the outside dimension and the compass to do the inside and the scissors to cut it out I soon had a homemade gasket. After installing it the leaking sediment bowl was fixed although I was still getting some leakage along the gas valve stem itself. I think there is some packing inside to prevent leaking but I bet its NLA. Probably want to sell you the whole asm. Finally finished mowing about 8:30 pm.
Does anyone have a good fix for leakage around the gas valve stem?
Larry

#2 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 08, 2011 - 08:40 AM

ive had 2 cub cadets, one with rubber around the top of the bowl. another with ducktape i think? i think these bowls must leak alot.

#3 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 09:04 AM

One sure fire way is to eliminate the sediment bowl completely.Put in a fitting into the tank ,then a short hose,then a inline shut off valve,then short hose then inline filter,then hose to the carb. Of course its no longer OEM but it does the trick.Larry

#4 lrhredjb ONLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 12:25 PM

One sure fire way is to eliminate the sediment bowl completely.Put in a fitting into the tank ,then a short hose,then a inline shut off valve,then short hose then inline filter,then hose to the carb. Of course its no longer OEM but it does the trick.Larry

I thought about that since I have 2 filters I bought years ago and never used but they are in my lathe bench drawer and I can't get to them very easily. Too much valuable stuff in the way.:smile1: If I could get to my lathe I would sharpen the end of some conduit and punch out six or seven gaskets. I seem to remember seeing a rubberized sort of cork somewhere. I bet that would be the best material.
Larry

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 09:01 PM

Does anyone have a good fix for leakage around the gas valve stem? Larry

There should be a hex "nut" that surrounds the stem of the valve. If you give that about 1/4 turn or less worth of tightening, that should stop the leak, providing that the grommet inside the packing nut isn't completely deteriorated. Don't get carried away with it, just a little snugging should do the trick.

#6 Operator OFFLINE  

Operator

• Member No: 1871
  • 8 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 09, 2011 - 07:30 AM

I've had the same problem with the leaky bowl, cut some cork gasket to the bowl size but left the "inner" hole a bit smaller for strength. But I was thinking here why not take bowl to parts store and find an O-Ring put a dab of grease on it and use that? Might work.

Randy