14 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 06:07 AM

In the April 1970 Popular Mechanics article a pic of a prototype deck is shown, with what appears to be symmetrical overlapping blades ( 4 ) . The drive is not shown however it is known it was done with 2 motors. This prototype was ruled out for production but still shown for promos. A big what if occured to me - maybe the intent was to make it reversible. If one side dulled , reversing electrically would be an option - again ruled out for production. The blades had to synchronized and not enough pics of this model to define how. ....... Just clearing out the ol curiosity of how they made it to outside world circa 1968. And no baffle shrouds , dispersal of cut material was random. Sparky

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,700 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 06:09 AM

Sounds interesting. Do you have a picture of it?

#3 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 06:33 AM

It is on this website under Ge literatuure - havent figured out how to separate pic from article . Have pic of topside from ebay listing. Maybe santa needs to bring me a scanner for computer.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 07:12 AM

Sparky , I'm not sure if this would help but I down loaded a free program called " PrintKey 2000 v5.10" it takes a snapshot of your computer screen , you can then either copy or save the snapshot , options to make a rectangle of just what you want too . I use it all the time for saving things , used it below as a sample , Al
file:///C:/Users/al/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-8.pngtest.jpg
  • KennyP said thank you

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 07:32 AM

I just use "control + print screen" and open a new Paint and hit "control + v" and then I save it and open it into Microsoft Office Picture Manager to mess with cropping, autocorrect, and compressing if need be. No frills but it's effective.

#6 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 08:59 AM

4 bade deck.jpg Image of tractor w/4 blade 2 motor deck used in ads but not mass produced. Apparently when OPEO was setup they used demo models pre 1970 for lit.
  • Bolens 1000 and sacsr have said thanks

#7 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 10:18 PM

Apparently both a three blade and 4 blade sychronized prototype was tested. The pic I included has to be three before it was retrofitted to have a third motor and delete the synchronize. Staring at the Pop Mech pic showed synch gears that may have needed repair. Mr Laumeister and crew had whale of an idea.

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 05:59 AM

I happen to have the April 1970 issue of PM in hand.
The 2 motor - 4 blade deck doesn't look to be sychronized between the center blades - there is just no provision for it. I can't tell for sure from the pic but I think they must have been setup like a modern disk mower where every other blade is clockwise and the blades in between are counter-clockwise. That works well for cutting hay - I wonder about a finish cut "lawn" mower. It could work and that every other blade is CCW would keep them from having to be sychronized and also keep them from hitting together.

#9 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 03:10 PM

The answer to what it is has been an enigma but the fact that they used it for promotional material and has been preserved for historical purposes leaves the door open for the right answer at some point . And the recreation of it would be a big blast ! And the original article did say they cut alfalfa. Thanks, Gtractor.

#10 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 01, 2011 - 07:58 PM

There is so much to Electrak history that I am not giving away much - but the blades did not disperse wet grass well at all - this from the team . As to exactly how I am working on an idea for recreation - just not enough time !!!! Must confer with olcowhand !!! Sparky

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,467 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted August 01, 2011 - 08:08 PM

Go fer it , Sparky!

#12 acguy96 OFFLINE  

acguy96

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5431
  • 26 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted August 10, 2011 - 02:22 PM

I wonder what happened to it.

#13 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 11, 2011 - 06:34 AM

acguy - I have had the good fortune to meet and talk with Mr Laumeister. I got one or two answers already . Pushy only goes so far but I will try for that one also .. Sparky

#14 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 06:52 AM

As part of my curiosity about the 4 bladed proto it also occured to me that every other blade would need left handed threads on retaining bolts and left handed lock washers to do it right. The blades would have to be symmetrical to be interchangeable. Mr Laumeister did spend time on a farm before working for GE. Most of us techies did back then. Sparky PS - and therefore it would not be advisable to reverse the blade direction which Mr Laumeister said was not provided for.

Edited by Sparky, August 20, 2011 - 08:56 AM.

#15 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 20, 2011 - 07:44 PM

The 1970 Popular Mechanics article in the GE manuals section shows the underside of the 4 blade deck> Brochures & Misc - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums