10 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 10,495 Thanks
  • 6,179 posts

Posted April 05, 2018 - 08:23 PM

My radio in my jeep died. Did some reading and found the factory radio every where I looked was 300 to 500 dollars new and used. That model from dodge had problems and failed frequently so why buy another. I couldn't find a radio that was bolt in without using an installation kit that I liked.

I came across this company called insane audio. They had a pretty sweet setup but it was 1100 bucks. I could not justify an 1100 dollar radio. So after research I found that they used basically a Chinese android head unit, put some jeep style stuff on it and sold it to you for 1100 bucks.

I found an xtron with better specs. More memory. More ram. Faster processor and supports more functions. Plus it fits in the dash with no modifications. Includes all the needed wiring harness that plugs into the factory stuff with no splicing.

I hope it all works. I guess if it doesn't I'm out 319 dollars.

Anyone tried these xtron units?
  • hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 10,890 Thanks
  • 6,919 posts

Posted April 06, 2018 - 07:09 AM

Why all that stuff for a radio that receives a signal and sends it out over speakers ? Somebody put a fang dangled radio in the last truck I bought.  Could not figure out how to change the station so replaced it with a OEM Bose for $125.

• hamman and Bill 76 have said thanks

#3 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

My projects take longer so I enjoy them more...

• Member No: 5472
  • 3,516 Thanks
  • 4,495 posts

Posted April 06, 2018 - 04:40 PM

What year and model is your Jeep?

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,495 Thanks
  • 6,179 posts

Posted April 06, 2018 - 08:22 PM

What year and model is your Jeep?

2015 wrangler unlimited

#5 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,950 Thanks
  • 1,806 posts

Posted April 07, 2018 - 12:41 PM

Just looked on Amazon. Is it the unit with 4G of RAM and running Oreo (8.0)? I see they've come a long way towards including current specs. I purchased an Android head unit 2 years ago and at the time most of the vehicle specific ones were at least 3 versions out of date and running WAY underpowered hardware. Every time you started the car the whole thing was completely unresponsive for three to four minutes while it finished booting and that included the volume knob. I had to remember to turn the volume down before shutting it off... I had to get everything set up with the apps I wanted and then disable all the Google services and Play Store to make the unit usable as they were all attempting to synch at startup and the hardware just wasn't up to the job.

But all that said, with modern hardware, the concept of an Android head unit is awesome. I think you're going to love it and you won't even realize just how much you can do with it until you start using it more. There are starting to be more apps in the Play Store that are designed for these units and drastically improve on some of the horrible stock interface most of these ship with. Also, if you're willing to play around a bit, most of these units are unlocked and there is a thriving developer community making custom ROMs.
I just wish my car could take a common double-DIN setup without major reconstruction.

Edited by Canawler, April 07, 2018 - 12:43 PM.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,495 Thanks
  • 6,179 posts

Posted April 07, 2018 - 01:10 PM

Just looked on Amazon. Is it the unit with 4G of RAM and running Oreo (8.0)? I see they've come a long way towards including current specs. I purchased an Android head unit 2 years ago and at the time most of the vehicle specific ones were at least 3 versions out of date and running WAY underpowered hardware. Every time you started the car the whole thing was completely unresponsive for three to four minutes while it finished booting and that included the volume knob. I had to remember to turn the volume down before shutting it off... I had to get everything set up with the apps I wanted and then disable all the Google services and Play Store to make the unit usable as they were all attempting to synch at startup and the hardware just wasn't up to the job.

But all that said, with modern hardware, the concept of an Android head unit is awesome. I think you're going to love it and you won't even realize just how much you can do with it until you start using it more. There are starting to be more apps in the Play Store that are designed for these units and drastically improve on some of the horrible stock interface most of these ship with. Also, if you're willing to play around a bit, most of these units are unlocked and there is a thriving developer community making custom ROMs.
I just wish my car could take a common double-DIN setup without major reconstruction.

That's the one. Had good specs and seems like it will be decent. I'm excited for the possibilities. I am worried about boot times. But hopefully it is at least within a minute. I have unlimited data on my phone hot spot. So I was hoping to be able to use google maps and all the goodies.

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,950 Thanks
  • 1,806 posts

Posted April 11, 2018 - 05:48 PM

I'm sure that head unit with modern specs will work well and boot times shouldn't be an issue. Realize though that these aren't generally running high end or even mid-range processors. Figure about the same performance that you would get for a comparably priced phone. The head unit I have only has 1G of RAM and that's really not enough to run newer versions of Android. I'll add though, with Google services turned off, I boot in way less than your minute requirement plus if left in radio mode, it starts the radio app before the unit is fully booted.

Edited by Canawler, April 11, 2018 - 05:49 PM.

#8 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,495 Thanks
  • 6,179 posts

Posted April 11, 2018 - 07:27 PM

Sadly it came in and as for anything from China it was garbage. Came with no manual. Plugged right into my jeep harness. But it powered on took around 5 minutes to fully boot. Played with it awhile and it would do really cool stuff. But it took too long to boot. If I touched my steering wheel controls during boot up it would freeze.

I sent it back. Got my money back and just ordered a used 430rbz high speed dodge radio. Touch screen. XM radio. DVD player. Ect ect.

It will be here tomorrow.

#9 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,495 Thanks
  • 6,179 posts

Posted April 13, 2018 - 03:43 PM

Got my 430rbz dodge radio. Fantastic. Does everything I need and the touch screen looks super clean in the jeep. Changed the whole look of the dash.

#10 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,950 Thanks
  • 1,806 posts

Posted April 14, 2018 - 10:49 AM

Glad you found something that worked out well but sorry about the first unit. Something obviously wasn't right with that Android head unit.
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#11 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 10,495 Thanks
  • 6,179 posts

Posted April 15, 2018 - 11:09 AM

Glad you found something that worked out well but sorry about the first unit. Something obviously wasn't right with that Android head unit.

Something was definitely wrong. It booted terribly slow....I tried different things but couldn't get it any better.

I'm sure quality control is super tight at the Chinese radio factory!

The 430rbz is fantastic so far. Sounds much better than the base 130res too

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk