• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Pat K OFFLINE  

Pat K

• Member No: 4680
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 12:20 PM

Just bought a SS15 tractor (917.25381) . It is painted red with white. Searching pics of this model I have only found blue/white. I don't find any blue on it, could it have been org. red ?
Pat

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 09:50 PM

Here is a pic of one that I took at PA plow day this past spring.

DSCN1975.jpg

I do not know who the owner was, but by the looks of it, that's the original paint. I know that some of the older Sears tractors were red and white, like the the Custom 10 XL and the Custom 600, but this is one of two SS15's that were there (didn't get a pic of the other one) and they were both the same color. I also believe that it might depend on what year it was made. I do not know the specifics (help me out Sears guys) but some of the same models were different colors in different years. If it were completely stripped before repainting there wouldn't be any of the blue left. However, if there is primer under the paint, that's a good clue that it has been repainted. Factories very seldom used primer in those days.

Edited by caseguy, July 07, 2011 - 09:56 PM.

#3 Pat K OFFLINE  

Pat K

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 07:08 AM

Yes that is the same colour I have found, I will look into it more before repainting,, but would like to keep in org. Info I have found showed customs where red. Mine does not have rounded rear fenders . I posted pic's in the Registry, I posted my CASE pic's also.

Thanks for your Help
Pat

Here is a pic of one that I took at PA plow day this past spring.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17085[/ATTACH]

I do not know who the owner was, but by the looks of it, that's the original paint. I know that some of the older Sears tractors were red and white, like the the Custom 10 XL and the Custom 600, but this is one of two SS15's that were there (didn't get a pic of the other one) and they were both the same color. I also believe that it might depend on what year it was made. I do not know the specifics (help me out Sears guys) but some of the same models were different colors in different years. If it were completely stripped before repainting there wouldn't be any of the blue left. However, if there is primer under the paint, that's a good clue that it has been repainted. Factories very seldom used primer in those days.

Edited by Pat K, July 08, 2011 - 07:15 AM.

#4 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 01:11 AM

to the best of my knowledge the SS 15 was made one year only, 1972, and was one color scheme only, blue and white. hope this helps

#5 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted July 10, 2011 - 01:16 AM

Pat, just checked out your pic in the registry and the hood, grill, and fenders do not look to be SS 15 parts. hood and grill kinda look like SS 12 or suburban 12 pieces to me. i have no idea what the fenders could be off of.

#6 Gibby OFFLINE  

Gibby

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4886
  • 96 Thanks
  • 360 posts

Posted July 18, 2011 - 05:49 PM

to the best of my knowledge the SS 15 was made one year only, 1972, and was one color scheme only, blue and white. hope this helps

Correct. Only made 1 year, that's why they are fairly uncommon(compared to the other SS models).

#7 Pat K OFFLINE  

Pat K

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 06:44 AM

Yes thats what I have found also blue and white .
Thanks

Pat K

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 19, 2011 - 06:50 AM

Pat, just checked out your pic in the registry and the hood, grill, and fenders do not look to be SS 15 parts. hood and grill kinda look like SS 12 or suburban 12 pieces to me. i have no idea what the fenders could be off of.

I can't find the pic you are referring too. But I am on the iPad, and pics sometimes don't show. If the fenders are flat, they may be Roper, I think they had some flat fenders

Is the model number on the shifter plate? I wonder if someone swapped the plate at some point and it's really a Roper machine... Anyone know if they made a 15 other than building them for Sears?

#9 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 03:32 AM

MH81, Pat removed the pic a few days ago. yes the fenders were flat and now that you mention it they did in fact look like Roper fenders. good call! especially without even seeing the darn fenders!!!
  • MH81 said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 07:00 AM

MH81, Pat removed the pic a few days ago. yes the fenders were flat and now that you mention it they did in fact look like Roper fenders. good call! especially without even seeing the darn fenders!!!

Just a guess, :D

Pat, this thread doesn't make as much sense without the picture... Would you mind putting it back in for the future members?

#11 Pat K OFFLINE  

Pat K

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 20, 2011 - 07:16 AM

I can't find the pic you are referring too. But I am on the iPad, and pics sometimes don't show. If the fenders are flat, they may be Roper, I think they had some flat fenders

Is the model number on the shifter plate? I wonder if someone swapped the plate at some point and it's really a Roper machine... Anyone know if they made a 15 other than building them for Sears?

Thanks for the reply . I took the pic's off the registry because I felt it was not right. I will put then back on there and I would appreciate your thoughts on it . The ID tag is correct on the shifter plate ,with the same plastic rivits as the gear shift plate, and it has a 15hp Briggs. I have not seen the grill before in any pic's , but I have not looked at any old Ropers.
thanks again
Pat
Pat

#12 jeffy1 OFFLINE  

jeffy1
  • Member No: 55243
  • 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 08:23 AM

I was actually just given one on Friday and had the same question I googled and that picture of blue one was all that popped up I'm guessing mine isn't original then hahaImageUploadedByTapatalk1397481799.317749.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397481813.463940.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 11:23 AM

You were "given one" on Friday? You lucky dog!

I had one last year, too rough for me so I sold it, someone had painted it green along the way. Guy I sold it too had it running in about 45 mins :wallbanging:  :thumbs:

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,294 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 12:32 PM

You were "given one" on Friday? You lucky dog!

I had one last year, too rough for me so I sold it, someone had painted it green along the way. Guy I sold it too had it running in about 45 mins :wallbanging:  :thumbs:

:wtf: what is this "Sold" some of you guys keep talking about???
  • TX_Dj said thank you

#15 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,947 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 12:59 PM

:wtf: what is this "Sold" some of you guys keep talking about???

Yep, Sorry Alan. Sold 2 last summer, just sold a Speedex. I also have at least 2, maybe 3 LT's that need to go too

I got 2 campers that will be going too!