• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coopduc OFFLINE  

coopduc

• Member No: 4419
  • 0 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 07:37 AM

Anyone familiar with this combo? For whatever reason, the 317 generally has less info available than the 318. I know it got a bad rep because of engine oiling issues, but is that the only negative? My guess is that the new engine will be dead reliable, like most honda products.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 08:35 AM

Anyone familiar with this combo? For whatever reason, the 317 generally has less info available than the 318. I know it got a bad rep because of engine oiling issues, but is that the only negative? My guess is that the new engine will be dead reliable, like most honda products.

Welcome to the forum. The 317 is a different tractor than the newer 318 model. I am no expert on 318's but I have a 314 which is a basic version of the 317. The 317 does not have the open rear frame design of the 318 or power steering. It is however a very strong GT with 1" frontaxles, good hydraulics and a strong drivetrain. The 318 is considered by many to be the best GT that JD made. All these tractors continue to be supported by Deere with many of the parts still available. How long this will continue is anyones guess, but right now these machines are still serviceable and in demand as working GT's.
If the Honda is installed so that it gets proper ventilation and dosen't overheat, then it should be a really sweet setup. It probably will use much less fuel than the original Onan. Honda = excellent design and reliability in my experience.

#3 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 09:00 AM

Welcome to the forum. The 317 is a different tractor than the newer 318 model. I am no expert on 318's but I have a 314 which is a basic version of the 317. The 317 does not have the open rear frame design of the 318 or power steering. It is however a very strong GT with 1" frontaxles, good hydraulics and a strong drivetrain. The 318 is considered by many to be the best GT that JD made. All these tractors continue to be supported by Deere with many of the parts still available. How long this will continue is anyones guess, but right now these machines are still serviceable and in demand as working GT's.
If the Honda is installed so that it gets proper ventilation and dosen't overheat, then it should be a really sweet setup. It probably will use much less fuel than the original Onan. Honda = excellent design and reliability in my experience.

I am not a deere guy but i think the 317 originally came with a kohler that the first series of had problems with oil flow when operating on sloped ground. There was a 2nd series of kohlers used that addressed this problem. I have heard good things about the 317 tractor and if the Honda was a good repower then I think it would be a good tractor.

#4 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 09:02 AM

From TractorData.com John Deere 317 tractor information :

Lubrication problems with the original Kohler engine gave the John Deere 317 a reputation as a poor tractor. Deere offered a retro-fit kit to mount the Onan P218G engine and, later, Kohler provided an improved KT17 Series II engine.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 10:06 AM

From TractorData.com John Deere 317 tractor information :

Thanks for the info. I knew there was an Onan engine in there somewhere. Twin cylinder engines were just being developed for GT's back then. I still like the simplicity and sound of a big single.

#6 Tmo OFFLINE  

Tmo

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2023
  • 356 Thanks
  • 486 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 11:40 AM

The 317 was a closed frame tractor, therefore attachments from the 120/140/300/312/316K/314 would work on the 317. The 318, as mentioned, was an open frame design and had power steering. The only negative about the 317 , the Kohler KT17 Series I problems aside, was the lack of power steering, which was shared on the aforementioned tractors, i.e. 140, 300, etc.

What is meant by open frame versus closed frame is the aft end of the frame. The closed frame had a hitch plate that enclosed the frame at the rear, while the open frame was just that - open at the rear of the frame.