Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How useful is a brinly disk and cultivator?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 10:46 AM

I may have an opportunity to buy a brinly sleeve hitch one bottom plow,disk and cultivator as a package deal. I definitely want the plow but don't know about the disk and cultivator. I already have a tiller on my MF10 so don't think I need the disk. It also seams I wouldn't be able to cultivate the plants once they got to high for the tractor to clear, or I would have to plant really wide rows to use the cultivator between them. If the cultivator does work well I would be willing to plant wide rows, I hate weeding and welcome any chance to use my tractors. Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks, Dan

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 02:19 PM

Myself, I don't think the disks are much useful. The cultivator can be used, and with wide rows, most of the season, especially in corn or other non-spreading crops. You could always sell the disk. If the price is right, get the whole package.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 02:20 PM

I don't know how well they work but I think it would be cool to have them anyway. Especially for having mounted while at shows. I would imagine the disc might work good although like you said you already have a tiller. I think depending on the crop the cultivator might work well but too high of a crop and you would have to have the rows planted pretty far apart.

#4 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 09:51 PM

Well the plow,disk and cultivator sold before I could get to them. I only wanted the plow anyway. I have a small one bottom from a walk behind that I modified for my MF12 but it's to small.I have been looking for a brinly one bottom for a while and they are always sold before I can get to them but tonight I finally found one. I was checking out craigslist and noticed an ad for a simplicity 7112 w/attachments, one of the attachments was a brinly plow. Then I realized that I had driven by the tractor earlier today. I went back and asked the guy if he would sell me just the plow and he said maybe at some point but not yet, he wanted to try to sell it as a package first. The plow was sitting right there, in almost new condition and there is a plow day near me this weekend, so I said "I give you $125 cash rite now". He took it and I'm going plowing this weekend. I was already going with my JD B but now I can bring my MF12 also, I really want to meet the local GT guys. I will spread the word about GTTalk and post pics of the event.

#5 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 06, 2010 - 10:09 PM

I forgot to mention I told the guy I bought the plow from about GTTalk and he asked me to post his tractor for him. I'll post it in the craigs/ebay forum. He's a really nice guy. That's one of my favorite things about this hobby, you can meet a lot of good people when buying, selling, and going to shows/events that otherwise you would have never known.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 15, 2010 - 01:04 PM

That is great you got a plow. Yes that is what makes this niche so great, you get to meet a lot of great people and almost all are always nice and willing to talk your ear off.

Thanks for helping spread the word :thumbs: Can't wait to see the pics from the plowing.

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 09, 2010 - 12:38 PM

I know you got the plow and that was all you really wanted, but I wanted to state how useful the disc and cultivator can be. We use a double gang set of Brinley discs and they work great in the spring. No need to plow if it was used last year for garden. The discs really dig in. The cultivator works well until the vegitation spreads.
I would say the disc is a great tool to have. Some weight on top of the disc helps alot. We use mason blocks.
  • broken2 said thank you

#8 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted June 10, 2010 - 07:44 PM

I know you got the plow and that was all you really wanted, but I wanted to state how useful the disc and cultivator can be. We use a double gang set of Brinley discs and they work great in the spring. No need to plow if it was used last year for garden. The discs really dig in. The cultivator works well until the vegitation spreads.
I would say the disc is a great tool to have. Some weight on top of the disc helps alot. We use mason blocks.

Thanks for the info on the disks, I think I'll keep my eyes open for some. Is the double gang set the same disks with one turned backwards or are the front and rear different? What tractor do you use to pull them? Do they pull hard? Also, what part of NY are you in. I'm about a 1/2hr east of Rochester

#9 Merl OFFLINE  

Merl

• Member No: 677
  • 1 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted July 06, 2010 - 10:41 PM

daytime dave I'm with you on the Brinley disk I have a single gang (I was going to get both front and rear gangs but the store only gets one per year!) that I pull behind my Pioneer walking tractor.
Your right they are very aggresive and will realy dig into previously worked ground if you have too much weight on them.
I have a cement plug cut out with a 10" diameter hole saw we used to mount metal working machinery with. It must go around 50lbs. in cutts the disk in about 3-4 inches deep. This is about all that little Wisconsin AB can pull ( untill I get the carb adjusted correctly) but, it does a very good job and makes short work of my 100' x 18' garden. I have a chisel plow set up on the Pioneer that I use first as I don't yet have a Brinley plow, then the disk and finely a shop made spring tooth drag that is ridgidly attached to the draw bar. This was the first year that I used all three impliments for working the garden and I must admit I'm quite happy with the job they did.
I guess I'll have to either double the size of the garden so I have more room to play or , hire my self out to neighbors to work thier gardens...
Now I just need to make a sulky for the Pioneer.

I forgot to mention that the front and rear gang are the same units.
They have a sleeve hitch on the front and a drawbar on the back. When you assembel the front unit the blades should throw the dirt to the outside. On the rear unit you would put the blades on to throw the dirt inward. To run doubles you would hook the two gangs back to back with a loose bolt and lock nut or some kind of pivot pin through the drawbars. Because they come new as a kit in a flat box you wouldn't have to put the sleeve hitch on the rear gang if you didn't want to.
A double gang disk that was doing some actual work would probably require at least 12 + HP with a manuale transmission, extra weights on the tractor and chains or ag tires.
They can be set up to be less aggresive but, what would be the point of that right?

Edited by Merl, July 06, 2010 - 11:10 PM.

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 07, 2010 - 07:30 AM

That is great info Merl. Once we ever get to doing a garden we would like to get all of the tools of the trade, even if we don't plant the whole thing it can still be a play area :D

#11 Merl OFFLINE  

Merl

• Member No: 677
  • 1 Thanks
  • 25 posts

Posted July 07, 2010 - 11:33 AM

Yes, "tools of the trade"
We have been struggeling with our garden for several years and I finely decided that "minimum tillage" does not work if you don't use the herbisides and pestisideds that go with that kind of tillage.
So this year I worked up ALL the ground instead of just the strips the plants were in and I find it much easier to maintain as far as weeds go.
I like to use what's called a "scuffle hoe" for weeding. This is a blade that you pull and push through the top 1/2" or so of soil to allow it to snip off the weed stems and break up the upper crust of the soil.
They work very fast if used regularly in dry soil conditions.
I also have an antique one on steel wheels with plow type handles that does a great job on the wide spaces in between the rows, I can get my entire garden done in about an hour per week under ideal conditions.
Because I'm an incureable walking tractor enthusiest I've been thinking about makining a set of steel spade wheels for my Gillson front tine tiller and a "scuffle" blade attachment for the rear, just to see if the tiller could be re-purposed, as they say.
The Pioneer is much too big for weekly cultivation but the Gillson might be fun...

#12 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 17, 2010 - 11:16 AM

I am still a newbie to gardening but I use my cultivator weekly. I use it with the suburban 12. the rows are only about 3 feet apart which gives me plenty of room to work between but dosent make the garden overly large. It beats hand weeding and gives me an excuse to play on the tractor.

#13 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 22, 2010 - 09:56 AM

Broken2
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I was on vacation. I'll try and take a pic and post it of the disc setup. We use a variety of older GT's. Mostly anything over 12 hp will disc with ease. Some of the GT's have tire chains, some don't. Pics coming

#14 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 26, 2010 - 07:57 PM

0725101901.jpg

Here are the pictures of the two double gang sets at dad's place. Sorry for the quality, but my digital camera broke and I had to use the cell phone for these.
Anything around 12 HP will do nicely.
Merl you were very informative. I hope you get the sulky.

The more weight, the better for these.

Attached Thumbnails

• 051.jpg
  • 0725101629.jpg

• middleageddeere said thank you

#15 big red dog OFFLINE  

big red dog

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6580
  • 22 Thanks
  • 81 posts