Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What adapters do you have for your arbor press ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 9083 Thanks
  • 8325 posts

Posted March 26, 2018 - 05:41 AM

I got a HF 20 ton press a week ago and have been thinking on what adapters/attachments to start collecting for it . It comes with steel plates ( from what I've read they used to be cast ) . I have a bearing separator and some short pieces of pipes that I've used in the vise through the years . Saw some pretty cool " press brakes " . I think it should have a way to use different size or shape on the driver . We had a Snap-On 4 ton bench brake that you could put a "V" shaped end for round bending round rods & shafts . 2 different size drivers . Those screw on the ram .

• hamman, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 52625 Thanks
  • 53125 posts

Posted March 26, 2018 - 05:58 AM

On the 20 ton, you can use a short piece of 2X2X1/4 sq. tube to attach different attachments for it. That's what I used for my vee block to bend metal. Threaded a 5/16" hole for a bolt to hold it on there. Here's the link to the thread. I've used it several times with no issues so far.

• Alc, hamman, MFDAC and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9083 Thanks
  • 8325 posts

Posted March 26, 2018 - 07:48 AM

Thanks Kenny , I remember your thread you made about it , , great :thumbs:  did you have any issues with the 2" square turning or did the bolt through the side tighten it enough ?

• hamman, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 52625 Thanks
  • 53125 posts

Posted March 26, 2018 - 08:21 AM

Thanks Kenny , I remember your thread you made about it , , great :thumbs:  did you have any issues with the 2" square turning or did the bolt through the side tighten it enough ?

The bolt holds it real well. I don't remember right now if I did this but there is usually a weld seam inside the tube. Put the bolt opposite that to keep it centered better.

• Alc, hamman, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 6798 Thanks
  • 3799 posts

Posted March 26, 2018 - 08:48 AM

On the 20 ton, you can use a short piece of 2X2X1/4 sq. tube to attach different attachments for it. That's what I used for my vee block to bend metal. Threaded a 5/16" hole for a bolt to hold it on there. Here's the link to the thread. I've used it several times with no issues so far.

This is funny. I was going yo message you to ask what wall thickness your 2x2 was. I'm going to visit my local metal fab shop to get some various materials.

Edited by Sawdust, March 26, 2018 - 08:50 AM.

• hamman, KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 6798 Thanks
  • 3799 posts

Posted March 26, 2018 - 08:55 AM

I bought the same press a few weeks ago. I've been searching the web for different attachments. The one Kenny built is one of my favorites simple & functional. I did see a few with different sizes of round stock used where Kenny used the V shape. This would create a nice round bend.
  • Alc, hamman, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 52625 Thanks
  • 53125 posts

Posted March 26, 2018 - 09:06 AM

On thin metals, I'll use a section of pipe under the round arbor to make it. May have to make something up out of bar stock to keep it from moving around.

• Alc, hamman and MFDAC have said thanks

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 6798 Thanks
  • 3799 posts

Posted March 26, 2018 - 12:35 PM

1/4" tube stock on mine won't fit my driver. OS dimensions on the driver are 1 9/16". I had a piece of 1/8" tube stock & that's too big. It looks like 3/16" is what I'll need. Maybe double check every driver before buying tube stock to fit. Some must be different.
  • Alc, KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#9 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 2054 Thanks
  • 1216 posts

Posted March 26, 2018 - 03:06 PM

I don,t have any bending adapters but I do save old bearing and races and piston pins and other assorted junk parts that come in handy for pressing things apart and back together , I keep them in a small box and I can usually find something that fits what I am working on.

• Alc, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 52625 Thanks
  • 53125 posts

Posted March 26, 2018 - 03:44 PM

1/4" tube stock on mine won't fit my driver. OS dimensions on the driver are 1 9/16". I had a piece of 1/8" tube stock & that's too big. It looks like 3/16" is what I'll need. Maybe double check every driver before buying tube stock to fit. Some must be different.

Mine is 1.5" od, so I guess the newer models are a bit beefier.

• MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3708 Thanks
  • 1771 posts

Posted March 26, 2018 - 06:57 PM

I don't have a press like these yet but the ideas going on here are making me think more seriously about getting one! If a person has a ball joint and u-joint press, some of the adapters in that may be useful with a stand-up press. Like Bill 76, I keep a lot of old scraps that he described around that come in handy bending and pressing with a bench vice or even just a hammer! I also keep old sockets that can be cut and used for drivers or notched for various purposes.

Keep the ideas coming!

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, March 26, 2018 - 06:58 PM.

• Alc, KennyP and Sawdust have said thanks

#12 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9083 Thanks
  • 8325 posts

Posted March 28, 2018 - 05:34 AM

I measured the driver  on mine and it's  1.590 .  I'll start looking for pipe or tubing with that inside , though if I went with square tubing  say with a  1 1/2" inside I might be able to grind flats on the driver which would keep it indexed when using as a brake press

• Sawdust said thank you