14 replies to this topic

#1 YosemiteRob ONLINE  

YosemiteRob
  • Member No: 89710
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 20, 2018 - 12:43 AM

Hi All,

Long time lurker and this is my first post. Been looking for a while to find the right site to post and ask Agricat questions and GT seems like it might be the best place. I have an International TD-6 gas over diesel dozer and also a craftsman GT5000. My Agricat gets the award for most time in the seat though as this machine is incredibly handy and capable.

Recently it started skipping the track and finally quit rolling. I pulled the drive out only to find one of the friction disc plates completely disintegrated. We have one “good” disc intact,but will likely replace it too. I am wondering if anyone knows of a good fabrication shop that might be able replicate it? I have photos to post but given it’s my first post I’m guessing restrictions are on.

Thanks Rob

It’s a 1946 Agricat crawler mfc by Joost Mfc in California. I’m not sure of the model. I’d guess model C based on others I’ve seen. It’s one speed forward and one reverse.
  • olcowhand and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,123 Thanks
  • 7,530 posts

Posted March 20, 2018 - 05:19 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !    Give the members here some time and I'm sure they'll be able to help you out

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,432 Thanks
  • 9,381 posts

Posted March 20, 2018 - 07:58 AM

Welcome to GTT. There should not be any restrictions on you posting pics. We love pics. For the heck of it go through our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day) and see if there is any manuals for you Agricat. There is a good chance that the clutches are a standard "off the shelf item". Look at places like Grainger and McMaster for their setups. The friction discs can be relined if they aren't warped or otherwise damaged. The lining is either glued or riveted to the disc. If you need to rivet, I can show the tools that I made to do it. If you are lucky, their may be a clutch and brake rebuilding shop near you. They may be able to take care of all of it for you. Good Luck, Rick

#4 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,109 Thanks
  • 1,508 posts

Posted March 20, 2018 - 11:27 AM

I am sure there are people here who would love to see lots of pictures. Me for one. I would love to have a little dozer but haven't found any one giving one away. Welcome Don  

#5 YosemiteRob ONLINE  

YosemiteRob
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 22, 2018 - 01:35 AM

Thanks everyone,

Here is one pic of the disc itself the whole steering clutch set up looks a lot like a slip disc you might see for a PTO set up. I’ll check the manual section, be great to have a manual for this machine. I actually see them come up for sale quite frequently in California. I bought this one a few hours away but saw a few for sale before and since. I’m hoping to get a second eventually as a parts backup.

Attached Thumbnails

• F386A9DD-1DC8-4960-A3E2-D679E3D87714.jpeg

• boyscout862 and secondtry have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,432 Thanks
  • 9,381 posts

Posted March 27, 2018 - 08:39 AM

Thanks everyone,

Here is one pic of the disc itself the whole steering clutch set up looks a lot like a slip disc you might see for a PTO set up. I’ll check the manual section, be great to have a manual for this machine. I actually see them come up for sale quite frequently in California. I bought this one a few hours away but saw a few for sale before and since. I’m hoping to get a second eventually as a parts backup.

That actually looks like it might be saved. You could clean it but be carefull of the asbestos. I have saved some discs by lightly sanding them flat but again be carefull of the asbestos. The other choice is to have a Brake/clutch shop reline it.

Post some pics of the entire machine. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 27, 2018 - 08:54 AM.

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,082 Thanks
  • 46,745 posts

Posted March 27, 2018 - 09:02 AM

Thanks everyone,

Looks like that center is not in good shape.

#8 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 4,103 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted March 27, 2018 - 09:44 AM

Welcome to the forum.

I believe you have a model-F Agricat crawler.

The model-F has two small rollers on each side to support the bottom of the track between the front roller and rear sprockets.

The model-C has one track support roller on each side.

I have a model-C that I restored.

9.JPG

I also have a 1950's model-F that I got not too long ago and it is still all torn apart.

When put back together, it would look like this ( this one is missing the seat ).

SAM_9729.jpg

This is a photo of my drive line parts for the model-F and you can see the drive clutches in the lower right.

They have a wider band of clutch material than your 1946 crawler does.

You can enlarge the photos by clicking on them.

SAM_9747.jpg

You can find company's on the internet that sell clutch disc material.

A few years ago I replaced the drive clutches on my Lindeman crawler and got the clutch disc off the internet.

The company cut the disc to the inside and outside diameter and the thickness that I needed.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the company and I haven't been able to find the paperwork so I may not have kept it.

Search for " clutch disc material " and you should be able to come up with something.

Edited by jdcrawler, March 27, 2018 - 04:00 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#9 YosemiteRob ONLINE  

YosemiteRob
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 31, 2018 - 06:47 PM

Thanks everyone. So far I’ve been able to find steel discs the same diameter 6.5” and the clutch material. I think rather than deal with asbestos and cleaning etc I am going to rebuild with new materials. I plan to reuse the center spline that slips onto the shaft and just drill out the new steel disc to the right diameter. I’ll post pics of progress. JD, I believe I have only one roller but I’ll confirm and post more pics of the whole machine soon. I had to limp it into the garage before the last storm so it’s a little tight in there at the moment.

#10 YosemiteRob ONLINE  

YosemiteRob
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 31, 2018 - 06:59 PM

Here is a pic of the little aggie against my TD-6

Attached Thumbnails

• 637FFBC0-940A-4D7D-97A5-A327A065BCF7.jpeg

Edited by YosemiteRob, March 31, 2018 - 07:00 PM.

• olcowhand, jdcrawler, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#11 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 4,103 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted April 06, 2018 - 07:37 AM

Here is a pic of the little aggie against my TD-6

Nice looking crawler and it is a model-C.

#12 YosemiteRob ONLINE  

YosemiteRob
  • 8 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted April 14, 2018 - 11:06 PM

Well, I started the rebuild process today, I’ll likely try and farm out the plate fabrication that holds the friction discs. It’s 1/16” thick steel 6 1/2” in outer diameter and 1 1/8” inner diameter. I can find plates on eBay, just not sure I have the precision

Attached Thumbnails

• E2E0C26C-D955-4A2A-946A-3E294562A893.jpeg
  • 09FF6D0A-2757-4375-8079-862A3AAD4A2A.jpeg
  • 738E2831-5261-49AD-AC97-E0FC49D04080.jpeg

#13 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 7,072 Thanks
  • 5,058 posts

Posted April 15, 2018 - 03:45 PM

Do a search for clutch rebuilding shops in your area. I'll see if I can find the info for a local guy that does that here in Ohio.

Could you get me a couple good shots of the track links? I'm trying to piece one together froma big pile of parts and don't have a link for a sample. thanks

#14 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 7,072 Thanks
  • 5,058 posts

Posted April 16, 2018 - 09:31 AM

Actually any pics of one torn down would be a big help.

#15 broken arrow OFFLINE  

broken arrow
  • Member No: 71972
  • 49 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 06:41 AM

Hey Rob,

I could turn those down for you but the shipping to me in PA and then back to you seems a little ridiculous.

But if you can't find anyone locally, I'll do it for you at no charge.

Just let me know,

Dave