• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Wolverine OFFLINE  

Wolverine

• Member No: 4138
  • 4 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 08, 2011 - 04:39 AM

I was talking with an Hydraulic Tech yesterday and we had a similar discussion on this topic. He told me that he has in the past substituted a small amount of ATF for Motoroil ( or just add some ATF) in with the oil for a short amount of time and change the oil. He said the detergents in the ATF will take away all that Crap and soften up the seals a little so the engine runs better. He also puts an ounce or two in his fuel tank if he stores his vehicles for any amount of time just before he starts them back up. This also cleans the system and softens up the seals that have been hardened by Gasoline. He tells me he has over 400,000kms on his current ride and the engine runs perfect.
Still leary about it myself but is sounds valid!

#17 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 08, 2011 - 09:54 AM

id love to change the oil in her again. but i dumped every cent i had basically into buying another tractor which isnt gonna stay in my yard long. or will it?

#18 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 11, 2011 - 12:14 PM

well i did an oil change, ran her for 20 minutes half throttle around the yard before letting the oil out. it didnt look too dark on the dipstick, but when it came out it was partial sludge. i guess its a good thing in the grand scheme. so i filled her up with rotella t 15 wt. and this additive that was 10 bucks, half of it is super thick oil and half is some kinda other stuff and it says it cure oil burning. well i cant say it cures it but its burn about 1/4 of what it did burn. so ill keep buying rotella 15 wt till winter then go to 10 weight. and keep adding the additive stuff.

#19 jupiter OFFLINE  

jupiter

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1880
  • 1 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted July 14, 2011 - 04:05 AM

I have used ATF in a car engine before with good results. It is high in detergent which was needed to free up some sticky hydraulic lifters in a oil change neglected engine. It was 1 quart of ATF to 4 quarts of oil for a 5 quart system. Normal driving, no high rpm, maybe 30 to 60 minutes of run time. Then change the oil and filter. It worked for me in the past and a few of my friends.

#20 Blukanu OFFLINE  

Blukanu

• Member No: 5099
  • 1 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted July 24, 2011 - 01:26 AM

I use Seafoam in my motorcycle after sitting all winter. Really works well.

#21 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 24, 2011 - 10:28 PM

i dont know if the engines due for a rebuild because of rings, out of roundness or what, but im really thinking about cutting and extending the frame, adding 5 inches, and putting a 4 cyl military surplus engine in it.