• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 06, 2011 - 12:32 PM

so i know my tractor has 20 years of sludge buildup in it, nodenying it. but i changed my oil 20 running hours ago, now its so black its disguesting. either pennzoil with the sludge removal is doing its job or something is wrong. also shes not burning as much oil either. i think next oil change im gonna put 15 weight rotella t in it see how that works. and another 15 dollar oil filter goes on it too =(

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 02:03 PM

When you make the switch from SAE30 to detergent multi-vis, you will get some sludge stirred up in a hurry. This can actually be a problem on positive pressure systems, old oil "plaque" breaks loose and gums up the passages.

I wouldn't go that thin on the next change. If anything, I would stay with manufacturers suggested oil, just with detergent.

#3 dstaggs ONLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 02:15 PM

Some good old STP, SLICK 50 I think helps the older engines. A friend refills with diesel and pull the plug wire a spins it over a few times then drains and replaces oil and filter.

#4 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 06, 2011 - 02:25 PM

its 10 weight oil. it just says removes like 40% of sludge first oil change

#5 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 03:33 PM

id run a little seafoam in it and change the oil more frequently

#6 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 06, 2011 - 04:24 PM

i run everything through my oil, the first oil change sludge came out, soft blobs of chunky ****.

#7 jupiter OFFLINE  

jupiter

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1880
  • 1 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 04:50 PM

Ditto what MH81 said. When I ignore my cars oil changes, it takes me about 4, 3000mi oil changes to clear the sludge, and slow the oil consumption. Then its back to normal. I go from using a quart every 2000 mi to 1/4 quart every 3000 miles.

#8 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4529
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 06:31 PM

i've noticed the oil go dark or black if the engine is running rich. i highly recommend staying away from the slick 50, stp, bardahl or any other of the snake oils out there.
seafoam is awsome, plain and simple and will get that engine clean again fast.:smile1: make sure she ain't running hot as well.

#9 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 06, 2011 - 09:40 PM

it might take 30 oil changes. this engine was neglected so bad. all the grease fittings were dry. when i got it the pto was frozen. i fixed it. i greased it really good put the engine at full throttle turned on the pto, it almost stalled the damn engine.

#10 speedyg OFFLINE  

speedyg

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4412
  • 71 Thanks
  • 434 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 12:00 AM

Are you guys saying to use some seafoam along with some oil? How long would you run the motor befor changing the oil. I have read about you all putting it in your carbs, and gas tanks too. What is this stuff?

#11 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 06:54 AM

i ad about 250ml new oil. get the oil up to the proper level, then ad the seafoam. i run the engine at half throttle for about 5 minutes, shut it off and let it sit until cool, then repeat a couple of times. dump it, splash some new oil at it and go cut grass. you will notice how much cleaner the oil is after one cleaning. you may need to re do it a few times, but the seafoam will cut it down greatly.

#12 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 07:09 AM

Are you guys saying to use some seafoam along with some oil? How long would you run the motor befor changing the oil. I have read about you all putting it in your carbs, and gas tanks too. What is this stuff?

Sea Foam | Motor Treatment

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 07:10 AM

It is a well formulated combination of Naptha, Acetone, and some other proprietary ingredients that work together to clean and stabilize ethanol gas. It also works very well as a cleaning agent in oil, with seemingly no I'll effects. There are directions on the can that tell you the amount to use, but I believe it's 2 oz in an larger oil change.

#14 brokenbudget OFFLINE  

brokenbudget

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 19 Thanks
  • 178 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 10:56 AM

the directions on the can are very generalized and vague at best. the product is fantastic, but they need clearer and more precise instructions. i just go by "feel":D

#15 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted July 07, 2011 - 09:38 PM

ive been adding mmo since ive heard it does miracles. now with my new cub cadet, which i plan to sell to buy this bolens with a loader to go on the ht20 ive got another thing to dump mmo in. o wait ive onely got 3 bucks to my name after buying the cub =(