• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 07:54 PM

Daniel, When are you laying the block? This week or in a few weeks?

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 08:37 PM

Daniel, When are you laying the block? This week or in a few weeks?

It'll be in a few weeks. We may start taking some deliveries before then though. Next week I will be gone 2 days for a dairy meeting (woohoo...vacation!), then will be chopping haylage, then promptly hauling manure onto those same fields. After that, it'll be block laying time. Likely the week beginning Monday the 25th. All things could change, and of course weather permitting.

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 08:39 PM

Nice building! Like Case Guy, I need one like that, though I would want it fully enclosed for a work shop.
Have the location picked out just need the money?

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 08:44 PM

We put this 24x48 up for $4800, but of course we saved a lot on labor doing ourselves.

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 09:13 PM

BTW....may be scaling back on the blocks a bit. Some parts of the pit have an 8'+ tall dirt wall, while other parts run 9+'. We may end up just going 8', or 4 blocks high. We'll be looking this over closer tomorrow to determine the best height. If we get too high, we'll have to truck in some more dirt to berm against the top block, but then we would increase the pit's capacity. As you go higher, the compaction greatly increases, allowing more tonnage per square foot.

#21 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 11:36 AM

Got some dirt moved today. Have to scrape the lower dirt walls till room for the blocks. This should give me enough dirt to backfill after every layer or 2 of blocks where the wall has receded. The Telehandler is actually a good enough bargain. A whole week, machine delivered for just $830. Renting this machine will be so much safer, especially since the top line will be at 10'. Mistakes at that height with 3400+lbs would be catastrophic! Being we'll likely be able to offload the truck with our loader, we'll likely only need the telehandler for 3 days or so, BUT, it would be mighty handy while it's here to finish my siding on the upper level of my home! :D

That's a fair enough price for the telehandler. I expected a lot more. But then, I'm in Canada.

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 02:13 PM

Well, things have a way of snowballing, but in this case it's my own doing. The 3rd pit, the smaller of the 3 is empty in 2 days. I've talked Dad into rolling this cutting of hay instead of chopping so we can have the option of rebuilding this pit also. Not often they are completely empty, and we don't need this smaller pit for corn silage this Fall. The way I figure it, when you see daylight to get something done, you do your best. We may not get both done this year, but we can sure try. The large pit MUST get finished though. We've been a few hours hauling off rotten silage to the field. About 3hrs worth left to spread. This is the silage that gets hung up on the top of the sloped dirt walls. Once all the pits are re-done, very little silage will be wasted as there will be no silage stuck up there anymore. Also once finished with all 3, this will finish my life as far as repairing silage pits are concerned.....well, I'll likely have to re-pour floors if I get to hang around here long enough, but the same walls will be here long after me. I also got the huge pile of dirt moved out of the pit today, so that pit is pretty much ready for blocks when we are.

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 05:09 PM

Okay, if I put two of those in the back yard, I wouldn't have to mow. But I could get a whole bunch of GT's under there. Yeah, that's what I need to do.

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 05:34 PM

Been working hard at my giant Lego blocks. We've decided we'll likely go on up 5 blocks high, so the top run will have to be done with a rented Telehandler. We'll lay all we can with our payloader, have all remaining blocks stockpiled, then rent it for just one day & get it done. I've been working at this, so besides milking & everyday chores, all else is getting behind. I need to mow the barn areas bad, plus my home yard! Need to bushhog the back fields too, but this takes precedence! Same wall in pics, just views from both ends. The blocks vary up to 3" in thickness, so the wall appears uneven, but is the best I can do with them. I really don't care, as it will do fine anyway. These aren't "pretty" blocks.

DSC00545.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00546.jpg

#25 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 05:35 PM

After a hard day's work Case & I took a break & went to Fred's for a visit. He likes Papaw's hats.

DSC00548.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00549.jpg

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 05:52 PM

Legos are looking real nice. You are getting it done. I can understand the importance of getting this done. Nearly time to fill it up.
Case wears Papaws hat well, before long he'll be wearing your shoes, too. Thanks for the update.

#27 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 06:14 PM

Tell Case, "Lookin Good" for me.

The blocks are looking good too, are you planning on backfilling behind them? I know it sounds inconceivable, but dirt can move a pretty big stone until it settles. If you backfill, now is the time to put in some anchors to keep the wall behaving itself.

Had a cut stone wall get pushed over once. Each row was backset 2 inches. Only about 3ft of backfill, we were doing it slow. The rains hit and pushed the whole thing over into the barn. Made a believer outta me.

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 06:28 PM

Most of this has some backfill already. I know what you're saying though about the backfill pushing it. The good thing is not much rain can get to this wall as the dirt on topside flows the rain away from the backfill. We'll have about 4" minimum tilt at the top of 5 block, maybe a bit more. At the bottom run of block, the backfill is gravel to allow water to drain the length of the wall. By the time we finish both walls & get the new floor poured, it'll be time to fill it with silage. NO way it'll move then!

#29 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 07:38 PM

Lookin good, and looks you've been workin real hard.

As I was lookin at the pictures in your post #24, I was thinking, what's he going to do about tie backs?
Now is the time to do it. I'm just shooting out ideas here, but maybe sink a few blocks in the bank to act as whalers.
Use galvinized chain wrapped around them, and run it out to heavy steel diagonal straps. I'd think, you'd only
have to hold back the top 2 rows.
I know how things work around here. Create more flat land, and eventually you'll end up using it.
Imagine what would happen if you parked all your GT's up there.LOL
Just throwing caution to the wind. I'd hate to see what happen, if.......

#30 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted July 25, 2011 - 07:51 PM

Looks like Case is almost ready to start driving before long, looking great, Now Papaw which one of these tractors is his.