20 replies to this topic

#16 The_SnowMan710 OFFLINE  

The_SnowMan710
  • Member No: 89670
  • 36 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 12, 2018 - 06:50 PM

From MacWorld:

"I am wondering how the bearings (and the inner splines) of the tractor PTO will handle the rotating weight of the bigger u-joint and shaft, that will get pretty heavy for it I guess. Added to this, the 1-3/8" 6T are meant for 540rpm, the forces will increase a lot at 2000rpm, adding load to the tractor parts."

Now that you say it and I've thought about it, the rotating mass of an adapter (homemade or otherwise) with the 540 knuckles and shafting probably would put an excessive amount of stress on the system.  Not only would that be hard on bearings, but it would probably start smoking belts, too. 

I've seen those shafts in Surplus Center's catalog and have been thinking long and hard about doing something with those.  For those of you on Facebook, there is a page for Massey Ferguson lawn mowers there and a guy posted a picture of a (supposedly) super rare 2000rpm to 540rpm PTO adapter gear box that was evidently made specifically for MF 1450/1650/1850's.  It's probably exactly what you are talking about, MacWorld.  It was pretty neat but it stuck out so far that it rendered the 3 point arms useless without adding any kind of extension... which seems like a bad idea to me.  However, I've been poking around the ole internet some more and think I may have found what I need:

http://www.paulbpart...ine-male-shaft/

If I've made all my measurements with my good eye, that puppy ought to fit right in there without any kind of modifications needed.  It seems a bit pricey to me, but there is surprisingly not many other solutions to be found without extensive manufacturing involved.  The way I figure, I could buy this one yoke weldment and assemble the PTO shaft with less expensive parts the rest of the way to my mower gear box. 

Edited by KennyP, April 13, 2018 - 04:52 AM.

• olcowhand and limebuzz have said thanks

#17 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 1155 Thanks
  • 1086 posts

Posted April 12, 2018 - 07:08 PM

That should get you going. Thanks cor the link.
  • The_SnowMan710 said thank you

#18 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1195
  • 189 Thanks
  • 173 posts

Posted April 13, 2018 - 06:44 AM

If I've made all my measurements with my good eye, that puppy ought to fit right in there without any kind of modifications needed.  It seems a bit pricey to me, but there is surprisingly not many other solutions to be found without extensive manufacturing involved.  The way I figure, I could buy this one yoke weldment and assemble the PTO shaft with less expensive parts the rest of the way to my mower gear box. 

Pricey is always relative, I paid ~70$ CAN for a 1" 15T union sleeve to make the pulley hub I need to lower the RPM of the front PTO for my John Deere snowblower. 

You could also convert the rear PTO to a male one using a fully splined shaft with 2 grooves. I don't know if it's allowed to link to other forums but here is what google returns if you search "massey 1655 rear pto" http://www.mytractor...-pto-shaft.html . This idea is quite easy to make using this ( https://www.surplusc...haft-1-3090.axd ) and at this point look on kijiji/craigslist/ebay and get yourself a John Deere PTO shaft from a 300/400 series tractor. 

Looking at the 12" shaft's price, I would probably have to pay around 200$ CAN to get this here ):

Edited by KennyP, April 13, 2018 - 07:15 AM.
Fixed link

• The_SnowMan710 said thank you

#19 The_SnowMan710 OFFLINE  

The_SnowMan710
  • Member No: 89670
  • 36 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted April 15, 2018 - 12:19 PM

Pricey is always relative, I paid ~70$ CAN for a 1" 15T union sleeve to make the pulley hub I need to lower the RPM of the front PTO for my John Deere snowblower. 

You could also convert the rear PTO to a male one using a fully splined shaft with 2 grooves. I don't know if it's allowed to link to other forums but here is what google returns if you search "massey 1655 rear pto" http://www.mytractor...-pto-shaft.html . This idea is quite easy to make using this ( https://www.surplusc...haft-1-3090.axd ) and at this point look on kijiji/craigslist/ebay and get yourself a John Deere PTO shaft from a 300/400 series tractor. 

Looking at the 12" shaft's price, I would probably have to pay around 200$ CAN to get this here ):

I had thought about that too, and actually would have preferred to do it that way because it has more of a "big tractor" look to it.  Heck, my dad is a machinist by trade and has a mill/lathe setup, so it wouldn't have taken much to turn those grooves into the shaft at all.  The part I couldn't rectify though was the female quick coupler for the pto jackshaft that would have splined onto the tractor's male end.  I haven't seen one of those that have the safety snap pin hold thing on it (nice technical terminology there, I know )... I haven't located a male splinded shaft on ebay yet but the one I found in my surplus center catalog is $60 USD.  I never realized how big a pain these 15T shafts/couplers were going to turn out to be! 

Anyway, after I priced out the rest of everything, it kinda just came out to be six of one or half a dozen of the other... I haven't even priced any John Deere stuff.  They always seem awful proud of that green paint haha.  If only they would sell me one that isn't painted, then I might be able to buy it for a reasonable price!

#20 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1195
  • 189 Thanks
  • 173 posts

Posted April 15, 2018 - 12:36 PM

They always seem awful proud of that green paint haha.  If only they would sell me one that isn't painted, then I might be able to buy it for a reasonable price!

Ahaha I think the same but don't worry their PTO shaft for small tractors are black and of great engineering.

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 44107 Thanks
  • 32302 posts

Posted April 15, 2018 - 01:11 PM

The pics in the link to MTF are of my stub shaft in my Massey.  This is before GTtalk came into existence.  The shaft was out of the jackshaft in front axle of a large GT.

• MacWorld said thank you