21 replies to this topic

#16 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 11:32 AM

Not that long ago, you could find those big soldering irons at garage sales, swap meets, just about everywhere - but I guess the supply has about dried up since "nobody uses that type of thing anymore." I had a  pretty big one that I used from time to time, but the element finally gave up the ghost.

You can also use a propane/map torch if you don't have access to an iron. Or even silver solder if you want a stronger bond. BUT for fuel tanks, you have to get all the gas vapor out first.  Pretty easy for small gt size tanks - get all the gas out and fill/drain with water a few times to get all the fumes out of the tank. But a non-flame option is probably safer!!!

#17 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 11:40 AM

I am not a tinbender but I see the guys at the sheetmetal shop using the old irons that you heat up using a flame. Once the big iron is hot, it is used just like a regular electric iron. I did see an old guy us a propane torch and an old tire iron one time the same way. It was for soldering up a gas tank too.

• Alc said thank you

#18 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 11:45 AM

I soldered a gas tank recently, excellent results too. Still leaks... But it is a slow leak around the fitting thread insert... Bummer, should have soldered it too lol.
  • alec said thank you

#19 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 03:01 PM

I soldered a gas tank recently, excellent results too. Still leaks... But it is a slow leak around the fitting thread insert... Bummer, should have soldered it too lol.

does that really qualify as " excellent " ?  :poke:  fixin to give it a try myself

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 09:22 AM

Not that long ago, you could find those big soldering irons at garage sales, swap meets, just about everywhere - but I guess the supply has about dried up since "nobody uses that type of thing anymore." I had a pretty big one that I used from time to time, but the element finally gave up the ghost.

You can also use a propane/map torch if you don't have access to an iron. Or even silver solder if you want a stronger bond. BUT for fuel tanks, you have to get all the gas vapor out first. Pretty easy for small gt size tanks - get all the gas out and fill/drain with water a few times to get all the fumes out of the tank. But a non-flame option is probably safer!!!

There is a company that makes the big irons, American Beauty Tools. They are expensive, they sell mostly to people doing steel and copper roofing and gutter work.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 11, 2015 - 09:25 AM.

• Alc said thank you

#21 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 08:30 AM

I have one of those big irons. Have to see if I can find it.

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 14, 2015 - 07:28 PM

Any idea how many watts would be required in an iron to do these kind of repairs?

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 14, 2015 - 07:30 PM.