DMAX

Addicted

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 264
  • 569 Thanks
  • 227 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 11:03 AM

I’m going to bring up the dreaded cogged pulley subject for the timed mower decks. I recently purchased a couple 1655’s and have been spending some time on one replacing odd and ends on the tractor itself trying to get it ready for spring. I’ve never cut grass with it yet but would like to. As I looked through past posts on here about about these mower decks it makes me uneasy about using it. My question is what is an expected lifespan for a pulley. I understand that it can vary depending on what you’re cutting. I’m cutting two acres and it’s just grass not heavy stuff. I’m sure some pulleys have lasted years and others went out due to hitting something while mowing. I read a post from back in 2013 where ducky found someone to make some of the pulley stock but nothing was said any further regarding it. I know the blades are nla so I purchased some close to the factory ones and drilled the two holes for the pins and had to add a bushing for the main bolt. So I have the blade aspect covered.
  • chieffan and KBuzz have said thanks

#2 noclue OFFLINE  

noclue

• Member No: 8104
  • 67 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 01:52 PM

when i put  i mine together i only used one roll pin in hopes that it would shear the pin before damaging the pulleys or the belts.

• DMAX, limebuzz, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#3 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 888 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted March 11, 2018 - 11:07 PM

when i put  i mine together i only used one roll pin in hopes that it would shear the pin before damaging the pulleys or the belts.

Good idea!  I sold the deck for my 1855 that I'm putting together, but memories of it were brought back when I was rebuilding my Husqvarna Rider 16, 41" deck.  It too has timed pulleys, 3 of them, and they're some type of composite material........and although they're still available, they're not cheap.

• DMAX said thank you

#4 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1642 Thanks
  • 911 posts

Posted March 11, 2018 - 11:50 PM

Roll pins are fairly hard. I don't believe they will break like that.

Thinking out loud. Have you thought about using an outboard motor shear pin? Cut it to length and use a little loctite to keep it in place. If it shears, drill it out. Or maybe have a machine shop turn some aluminum pins for you, oversized for a loose press fit and add some anti-seize to prevent galvanic corrosion.
  • DMAX said thank you

#5 DMAX ONLINE  

DMAX

Addicted

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 569 Thanks
  • 227 posts

Posted March 12, 2018 - 04:48 PM

Thanks for the good ideas. The shear pin idea would probably help save the blades and belts from severe damage.
  • KBuzz said thank you

#6 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1195
  • 189 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 15, 2018 - 07:50 PM

On the side of the lifespan the ones on my 1655 were the original ones until when I got the tractor. The previous owner (father of a friend) used it for at least 20years mowing his 1.5acre and for 10+ years he mowed once or twice per year... you guess how hard it had to work.

When I got the tractor the outer pulleys were worn on the belt interface and the center pulley had the inner splines sheared off on the bottom half because of multiple bad reassembly which caused the blade axle to gradually drop until it removed all the splines.

I consider those pulley to be a weak point but not terrible either.

I bought a new center pulley... they are really pricey, something like 450$ Canadian (my dealer ordered the last 5 in Canada and out of those only one was running true...) and a friend of splitted the old center pulley to make one outer with the top half and from the half with sheared inner splines we bored it out and inserted the core of a old outer pulley to get it back working as a 2 piece pulley (they were locked together by threading 6x 1/4 bolts at the interface between the 2 parts)

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1638.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg

So far no problems for the last 6 years of using it on my lawn. It has no problem skinning the top of big roots too high from the ground!

Since those parts are quite near NLA, if I ever get this problem back I will fit 4 camshaft pulleys from whatever engine, find a timing belt that fits and add a roller to each belt if they are too long.

• olcowhand, DMAX, limebuzz and 1 other said thanks

#7 DMAX ONLINE  

DMAX

Addicted

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 569 Thanks
  • 227 posts

Posted March 15, 2018 - 09:22 PM

MacWorld Thank you for the great response. You’ve made me feel better about the lifespan of these pulleys. I really like how you took the broken and worn ones and made two good ones out of them!
  • limebuzz and KBuzz have said thanks