Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

1951 Ferguson tractor with Standard engine troubles.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 13504 Thanks
  • 5958 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 10:44 AM

This tractor was built in England. The Motor was built by Standard Motor Company. These motors were used in Ferguson tractors and certain types of English cars.
The motor in my tractor has an 85 mm bore. Earlier engines were 80 mm bore.
Any way, my engine started to foul the plugs in numbers two and three cylinders. Then started to smoke very badly. But not all the time. Some days smoke and some not.

#2 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 4860 Thanks
  • 2858 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 02:01 PM

Googled Standard Motor Company and only came up with mostly history type links. Not sure how to locate parts. When I was looking for parts for my 8N I found AGKITS.com. Ordered aftermarket parts there that were cheep enough.even for me. They don't have Ferguson listed. They have Massey Ferguson but I don't think that helps. Do you have a source.  If I knew how I would transfer the relevant post from the old thread to this one for clarity.  Don  

• propane1 said thank you

#3 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 13504 Thanks
  • 5958 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 02:16 PM

Massey Ferguson dealer can get parts. AI products after market parts.Took front cover off and found more bad news. Needs timing chain, both sprockets, governor weights. Still didn't look at the cam yet.

Noel

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 13504 Thanks
  • 5958 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 02:18 PM

Look up Ferguson TEA 20 engine parts, on google. some parts sites come up there.

Noel

#5 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 22095 Thanks
  • 7320 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 02:20 PM

Is there a model number on the tractor anywhere - I believe they were a TO-?? series - TO-35 maybe? 

Sorry Noel - didn't see your latest post.  So it is a model TEA20 then?

Edited by 29 Chev, March 09, 2018 - 02:22 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 15183 Thanks
  • 9997 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 02:46 PM

There is a service manual for a TE-A20 in our Manuals Section: http://gardentractor...service-manual/ . Is that the same thing? It seems that I looked this up for someone a few weeks ago too.

My opinion: if you are willing to put time and money into the tractor, you should just tear it apart and evaluate it once it is apart. If you can rebuild it, evaluate the transmission and rear end too. If they seem good, rebuild it if possible, replace the clutch and do all maintenance on it including paint.

The timing setup indicates that it is very worn. There are probably lots of little metal parts throughout the engine. The only way to reliably save the engine is to disassemble and clean eveything. While it is apart you can put in new rings(or pistons and rings),new bearings, do a valve job, replace the timing parts that are shot, and replace the oil pump. That should extend the life of the engine by anothe 40 years. Playing with the peripherals can be very frustrating and end up wasting alot of time. Good Luck, Rick
  • propane1 and secondtry have said thanks

#7 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • 4860 Thanks
  • 2858 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 03:56 PM

There is a service manual for a TE-A20 in our Manuals Section: http://gardentractor...service-manual/ . Is that the same thing? It seems that I looked this up for someone a few weeks ago too.

My opinion: if you are willing to put time and money into the tractor, you should just tear it apart and evaluate it once it is apart. If you can rebuild it, evaluate the transmission and rear end too. If they seem good, rebuild it if possible, replace the clutch and do all maintenance on it including paint.

The timing setup indicates that it is very worn. There are probably lots of little metal parts throughout the engine. The only way to reliably save the engine is to disassemble and clean eveything. While it is apart you can put in new rings(or pistons and rings),new bearings, do a valve job, replace the timing parts that are shot, and replace the oil pump. That should extend the life of the engine by anothe 40 years. Playing with the peripherals can be very frustrating and end up wasting alot of time. Good Luck, Rick

Like he says. Any thing short of a full rebuild is asking for trouble. In the past 65 years there could have been any number of undocumented half repairs so the only way to realistic hope for any longevity for the machine is to inspect everything I have never worked on a Ferguson but have worked with some. They seemed to be much better than my Ford 8N.  The advantage of the 8N was aftermarket parts were dirt cheep.  Don

• Gtractor, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#8 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • 13504 Thanks
  • 5958 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 03:17 AM

Fords are easier to get parts for too. I have down loaded the manual from the manual section. It’s 408 pages.

Noel
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#9 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • 4860 Thanks
  • 2858 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 10:17 AM

Good luck. I have had projects that turned into long term because they depended on monthly payments and "found" money to finance. Slows things down considerably, means more time to pay attention to fine detail.   Don