Garden Tractor Forums banner

Mother Nature's Ice Mountains

974 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bill56 
#1 ·
We had some pretty wild weather here over Easter.Very high winds over a tewo day span.I heard on the news about the ice mountains on Lake Winnipeg so after supper tonight we jumped in the truck and took a drive out to have a see for ourselves.Took a couple of pictures so thougth I'd post them here.They say no homes were damaged but some people were right on edge as the ice came within a couple of meter's of there home's.Glad I don't live anywhere near the lake.Larry:thumbs:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice pictures Larry.Glad I don't live there,we had 20c temps and sun all weekend.

#4 ·
poncho62 said:
WOW...unreal. What causes that, the wind blowing waves and it building up?

We have had some wind here the last few days, mist be the tail end of that storm.
They say Lake Winnipeg is like a small in land ocean.I know if you stand on it's shore in the south basin[the narrow end] you can barely see the horison on the other side.So because of it's size when any wind blows it rasies or lowers the lake level quite a bit.Pushes the water either way on windy days.Works almost like the tide,but not nearly as much.Anyway with the North wind over Easter and the ice being about ready to go it pushed the ice into shore and the pounding of the waves etc: just kept pushing it in closer and higher.I watched on the news where some people were eating there Easter Dinner and saw it comming in that they grabbed what they could and fled there home's.Guess I'd have taken off too if I saw a wall of ice like that comming at me and my home to.Larry

#5 ·
That is absolutely amazing and freaky at the same time, I think I would be packing my crap too if I seen a wall of ice coming my way. Glad everything worked out ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.