• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • Member No: 60181
  • 71 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted March 08, 2018 - 05:13 PM

I finally scored a deal on a 1050 with the hydraulic lift option, which makes me very excited for the future of the tractor. I'm wondering whether anyone can tell me what should be expected as far as hydraulic let down (I've also heard it called leak off). On this unit, if the engine is shut off, the blade drops to the ground in about 5 seconds. As soon as the starter is engaged the blade rises even before the engine fires. Is this by design for these units? Or do I have leaks causing that symptom?

What kind of refresh can I do to the unit and the cylinder as far as seals and bushings/bearings? Thanks for any input. I'll do a full post with pictures of the new machine when the weather breaks, but just wanted to start my research.

#2 Sammoore13bolens1053 ONLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053

Because I’m young doesn’t mean I’m stupid

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 89554
  • 187 Thanks
  • 280 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 09:54 AM

I finally scored a deal on a 1050 with the hydraulic lift option, which makes me very excited for the future of the tractor. I'm wondering whether anyone can tell me what should be expected as far as hydraulic let down (I've also heard it called leak off). On this unit, if the engine is shut off, the blade drops to the ground in about 5 seconds. As soon as the starter is engaged the blade rises even before the engine fires. Is this by design for these units? Or do I have leaks causing that symptom?
What kind of refresh can I do to the unit and the cylinder as far as seals and bushings/bearings? Thanks for any input. I'll do a full post with pictures of the new machine when the weather breaks, but just wanted to start my research.

Many smart people about here who know lots about bolens tractors, sam
  • logmillingman said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 15,553 Thanks
  • 18,319 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 11:14 AM

These are very simple units basically there are two gears that circulate the oil in the pump body and a spring loaded control handle , pushed to the left or right will raise/lower the lift arm by simply changing the direction of the oil flow.

I would check to make sure your return spring is working you should be able to move the lift arm right/left and have it return to neutral by itself, if no resistance is felt I would suspect a broken spring.

The hydro cylinder is basically a ram with or-rings , I sell o-ring repair kits if yours is leaking

Take a look at these documents you may find helpful

http://gardentractor...nd-information/

http://gardentractor...3-05-and-18709/

#4 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • 71 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for the response.  Can I assume that the fact that they're pretty simple units means that they are fairly easy to keep in good operating order?  You mention that there are O-rings/seals available for the lift cylinder -- are there also seals for the pump unit?  I just want to get an idea whether I have something that I can keep working indefinitely as long as I keep up on maintenance.

Has anyone on here rebuilt one that was pretty far gone and brought it back into service?

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 15,553 Thanks
  • 18,319 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 05:46 PM

I have done several on my machines, generally if your lift cylinder is smooth and not rusty o-ring replacement solves most issues.

The gears inside are obsolete but several are now making reproductions for them so everything is all still available.

• 29 Chev and logmillingman have said thanks

#6 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 3,066 Thanks
  • 2,144 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 06:58 PM

If you find the return spring broken,and Bolens 1000 doesn't have them,i got several
  • 29 Chev, logmillingman and Sammoore13bolens1053 have said thanks

#7 red79 OFFLINE  

red79
  • 71 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted March 10, 2018 - 11:56 AM

Thanks a lot for the info. Once the weather clears, I'll be cleaning up the tractor and running it a bit. From there I should be able to identify if and where the system is leaking and I'll also look into the spring issue while I'm at it. Thanks again.