#16 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 4,743 Thanks
  • 2,667 posts

Posted March 08, 2018 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for everyone's help and info. This pickup has disk brakes, the brake pads are new so it shouldn't be the brake wear indicator, the wheel bearings are tight but not over tightened so they should be fine. This squeak started before the brake pads or the bearings where replaced, so the odds of 2 sets of bearings be bad or the wrong size is slim.

The sound is definitely in that wheel and it's a rotating squeak not a ball joint or shock (shocks are also new). When I drive slow I can just lightly hear it and it gets louder the faster I drive, it is constant at 40MPH +.

The sound is like a chirp a wheel bearing makes when it's going out, I wonder if it's not something rubbing the rotor? I'm going to pull brake caliper off tomorrow to make sure noting is rubbing and I will check the tin around the backside of the hub to see if it's rubbing.

When  I push on the brakes while driving the pickup barely pulls to the left (side that's making noise), the sound does not change pitch or go away when the brakes are pushed. It just slowly fades out when the speed decreases.

I was talking to my brother about this issue and he thought maybe a collapsed brake line? Maybe it's letting fluid in but not out so the pad is rubbing.

I would think if that was the case, then the sound would go away once the brakes are applied???

Either way I'm at a loss, there's only so many things it could be and I replaced both of them :rolling:

I'm hoping to get this figured out as soon as I can, I'm on "call" waiting for my new niece to be born (should be next week or so), when I get the call I got to drive to tulsa to watch my other niece (2 years old) so I don't know when I'm needing to make the drive. The perk of the whole trip is I'm bringing home the Sears garden tractor with push blade, mower deck, 3 point, plow and cultivator that I restored for my brother in law and sister around 5 years ago. Since they are moving they asked if I wanted it back and I said YES!. :thumbs:

• propane1 and Jazz have said thanks

#17 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 4,743 Thanks
  • 2,667 posts

Posted March 08, 2018 - 08:26 PM

"It's a funny squeaky sound"

"you couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerine plant"

Just turn up the radio a little, the squeak will go away  :poke: :poke: :rolling: :rolling:

You win the prize!, you got the movie quote :rocker2:

• WNYTractorTinkerer and TAHOE have said thanks

#18 jimmy G OFFLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,308 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted March 08, 2018 - 08:42 PM

Sounds to me like a warped rotor, best clue is wheel gets tight spinning by hand, the noise is caused by the caliper moving back and forth in the housing
  • BTS and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#19 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,704 Thanks
  • 1,564 posts

Posted March 08, 2018 - 08:48 PM

As mentioned collapsed brake line is possible. Not just collapsed but the line can get twisted during install. Easy enough to check that is look at the brake line and pay attention to the lines on exterior of brake line. Do they follow straight and true? If not line could be twisted during last install. I know because I have made this error.

Edited by Jazz, March 08, 2018 - 08:48 PM.

• BTS said thank you

#20 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 4,743 Thanks
  • 2,667 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 12:34 AM

Sounds to me like a warped rotor, best clue is wheel gets tight spinning by hand, the noise is caused by the caliper moving back and forth in the housing

Haven't thought of that, any idea how to check to see if it's warped?

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#21 jimmy G OFFLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,308 Thanks
  • 831 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 08:27 AM

Haven't thought of that, any idea how to check to see if it's warped?

with the wheel off spin the rotor to the tight spot, use a tire iron or big screwdriver to pry or push the inboard pad toward the caliper piston just a little, the rotor should spin free,also look for uneven discoloration on the rotor face
  • BTS said thank you

#22 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 1,369 Thanks
  • 981 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 12:52 PM

You might also check for a stuck piston in the caliper. When you put pads on were the piston hard to push in. That could also be in conjunction with a warped rotor. I had to replace some of the calipers on my last brake job.

• BTS said thank you

#23 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 11,511 Thanks
  • 6,162 posts

Posted March 09, 2018 - 01:15 PM

I'm still thinking bearings.

Chirping could be the brake wear indicator.   

If it were brakes the noise would change when the brakes are applied.  My Wheel bearing test goes like this..  Drive down an empty back road and swerve right to left without using the brakes..  (~40 mph)  If the noise increases on the left turn it is the right WB, if on the right turn it is the left WB.. Happy cruisin!

• BTS said thank you

#24 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 4,743 Thanks
  • 2,667 posts

Posted March 11, 2018 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for everyone's help and info. I pulled the front wheel off yesterday, I stuck a screwdriver in the brake caliper and spread it apart. Without touching the brakes I drove it down the road and it didn't make a sound. When I started using the brakes it had a light squeak and the more I used the brakes the louder the sound got again. I pulled the slides out of the brake caliper and greased them. The brake pads still don't pull away from the rotor enough, the pads just lightly rub so it makes the noise. I don't know if I'm needing a new wheel cylinder or not? maybe the wheel cylinder isn't releasing like it should? I don't know why the pads aren't backing off enough?.

Either way I know it's nothing major and I will get if fixed when I get time

Thanks again for everyone's help :thumbs:

• Leonard VanCamp and jimmy G have said thanks

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,454 Thanks
  • 47,383 posts

Posted March 11, 2018 - 06:42 AM

You might have a bad hose not letting the fluid pressure off!

• WNYTractorTinkerer and BTS have said thanks

#26 lrhredjb ONLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 923 Thanks
  • 690 posts

Posted March 11, 2018 - 08:19 AM

Wheel cylinders/caliper pistons can get sticky when they get older due to dirt,rust,worn rubber seal, etc. I would rebuild or replace the caliper and guide pins.

Edited by lrhredjb, March 11, 2018 - 08:19 AM.

• BTS and propane1 have said thanks

#27 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 4,743 Thanks
  • 2,667 posts

Posted March 12, 2018 - 07:39 AM

I'll check into it

Thanks

#28 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 4,743 Thanks
  • 2,667 posts

Posted March 17, 2018 - 04:17 PM

Today I replaced off the brake line and the brake caliper. I figured that would stop the noise once and for all. Just got it finished, bled out the brakes and took it out for a test drive. And trough all my hard work, expense and trouble. The squeak is still alive and doing fine :wallbanging:.

I give up, I'm going to just live with a squeaking pickup, I'm not going to mess with it anymore.

while I had the brake caliper off, the hub spun perfect, nothing is rubbing (the tin around the backside isn't touching anything), there are no rocks, dirt or anything else that can be rubbing. I cleaned everything with brake cleaner when I put it all back together.

Edited by BTS, March 17, 2018 - 04:23 PM.