Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Brinley cultivator,I am selling what should I reasonably ask?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • Member No: 72922
  • 2,895 Thanks
  • 928 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 09:44 PM

I have this Brinley cultivator,Its in good solid shape other than paint ,I have a guy that has asked several times about it and I finally decided maybe I would sell it,,,,Maybe.I really dont know what to ask,Ebay has had them consistantly around $200,I bought it one of our auctions with 2 single bottom plows and a lawn plugger and a blade for garden tractors for $2 each So I would guess they are worth between $2 and $200 :rocker2:

Attached Thumbnails

• PTDC0057.JPG
  • PTDC0054.JPG
  • PTDC0056.JPG
  • PTDC0066.JPG

• boyscout862, Sawdust and John Arsenault have said thanks

#2 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,219 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 09:53 PM

A new Brinley spring tooth cultivator is on Amazon $190.  Not sure how the rigid shanks measure value wise.

I'd think $75-$125.

• Alc and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,690 Thanks
  • 9,475 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 11:45 PM

Around here the cultivators like that go for about $75 at the swap meets. On CL they ask $100 to $150. I have one but have never used it. I keep it incase I get serious about a big garden. Good Luck, Rick
  • Alc, Sawdust and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#4 karel OFFLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 2,420 Thanks
  • 1,540 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 04:15 AM

75.00 each

• boyscout862 and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#5 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1,585 Thanks
  • 753 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 06:04 AM

Ask 100 take 75 is what I would do

as you know always ask more than you want, that way when you except lower offer they feel like they got a deal and your profit margin is real good on those items

• boyscout862, Sawdust and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#6 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 2,895 Thanks
  • 928 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 07:34 AM

Around here the cultivators like that go for about $75 at the swap meets. On CL they ask $100 to $150. I have one but have never used it. I keep it incase I get serious about a big garden. Good Luck, Rick

I am still thinkin on for sure selling it,The guy made a real good opening offer $100 and would go up some if I just wait him out a bit more.But I keep telling myself that using it after I actually plow my garden sometime might be helpful,I have a JD31 tiller on my 110 and while it does a fantastic job its not much fun to run over a plowed garden,I thought maybe using the cultivator first might help???

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 2,219 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 07:39 AM

You need a disc after plowing.

The cultivator is to break up soil and remove weeds between rows.

• boyscout862, Sawdust and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#8 abu507 ONLINE  

abu507
  • Member No: 68410
  • 18 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 08:05 AM

Maybe I missed something but the plow is a potato plow

• KennyP and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 6,220 Thanks
  • 3,581 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 08:44 AM

If you think you got him hooked on $100.then take it. If you dont care for the guy then up the annie to $125.& buy you a set of disc plows. I never had much use for the cultivator like that. Like MiCarl mentioned discing after plowing is what I like to do. Is that single furrow plow home made. That rod on top looks like it was made to slide bar bell weights on. Anyway you go you stole all of them. Good find.

Edited by Sawdust, March 07, 2018 - 08:45 AM.

• Reed Breneman said thank you

#10 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 2,219 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 08:55 AM

Someday I'm going to need a cultivator like that and I'm going to wish I could find it for $100.

Looks like it's missing gauge wheels.

Brinly CC-500 Row Crop Cultivator manual

Edited by MiCarl, March 07, 2018 - 08:55 AM.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,466 Thanks
  • 47,395 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 08:57 AM

I bought one of those without teeth real cheap. Had the newer model that kept bending. Between the two, I came up with this:

DSCN3604.JPG

I have since attached the teeth differently. Hopefully Alice won't bend this one!

#12 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 2,895 Thanks
  • 928 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 10:09 AM

Maybe I missed something but the plow is a potato plow

Yep sorry my bad I dont have a pic of the nice single bottom plow I got at the same time,On a side note the potatoe plow IS for sale ,What should a person reasonably ask for it??I dont need to make a killing on it just fair is fair,

#13 Reed Breneman OFFLINE  

Reed Breneman
  • 2,895 Thanks
  • 928 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 10:17 AM

If you think you got him hooked on $100.then take it. If you dont care for the guy then up the annie to $125.& buy you a set of disc plows. I never had much use for the cultivator like that. Like MiCarl mentioned discing after plowing is what I like to do. Is that single furrow plow home made. That rod on top looks like it was made to slide bar bell weights on. Anyway you go you stole all of them. Good find.

I know where I can buy a brinley I think disc off a guy for $50 and I may do as you suggested,As for the guy wanting to buy the cultivator I dont like nor dislike him I just wasnt sure if I wanted to sell,I had a friend of mine offer a Foley Belsaw chainsaw sharpener that is complete and in excellent shape for it,This is a professional set up and I am considering it as I sharpen alot of chains for people and all I currently use is the harbor frieght special sharpener which is fine but can be a little more crude on its grinding then the Foley Belsaw,

• KennyP said thank you

#14 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 5,215 Thanks
  • 2,270 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 12:03 PM

,I had a friend of mine offer a Foley Belsaw chainsaw sharpener that is complete and in excellent shape for it,This is a professional set up and I am considering it as I sharpen alot of chains for people and all I currently use is the harbor frieght special sharpener which is fine but can be a little more crude on its grinding then the Foley Belsaw,

Trade for the sharpener.  If you sell it, you will put money in your pocket once. If you get a better sharpener you get paid repeatedly in the future. And you can sell the Harbor  Freight unit for more than you paid for the cultivator.  I have an H.F. sharpener, and it is fine for what little need I have for it.  But I'd certainly upgrade if I was doing a lot of sharpening.  

Bottom line is make yourself happy.     Rick

• KennyP, Sawdust and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#15 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,771 Thanks
  • 7,280 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 01:40 PM

I have two of those cultivators, one has the DB shovels on it.  Use them both every year.  I had an extra one that I sand blasted and painted up nice I got $120 so for yours, I would not take less than $75 for sure.

Definitely find a Brinly disc for your garden.  Works real good over fall plowed ground.  I have mine on a sleeve hitch with an electric winch lift.  Mine is a tandem but the singles work good also.

As for trading for the Foley Bellsaw chain saw sharpener - depends on which unit the guy has.  If it is the newer stand alone unit go for it.  If it is the attachment for the multi purpose grinder - -  your better off with the HF unit.

Edited by chieffan, March 07, 2018 - 01:42 PM.

• KennyP, Sawdust and Reed Breneman have said thanks