• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bluenoser OFFLINE  

Bluenoser
  • Member No: 82245
  • 89 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 05:14 PM

Looking to do a little work on my MF 10. It has had the motor replaced from the Tecumseh to a Kohler which is now tired and in need of a rebuild. Long story short an uncle gave be an almost new briggs 11hp (256412 model from a generator) to put in the tractor. It'll need a bit of tinkering to get right but should fit nicely.

My only problem is I don't want to have to rely on the pull cord for starting so I want to convert to electric start. I've checked and it has the mounting location for the electric starter, but the flywheel doesn't have ring gear on it. Based on the parts diagrams I've seen it looks like I "should" be able to buy the replacement ring gear and mount it to my current flywheel pretty effortlessly? Diagram - https://www.jackssma...flywheel-rewind

I'm reasonably competent in mechanics, electrical sometimes take me a bit to work around but a simple system like this shouldn't be too difficult. A starter that fits, a solenoid, ignition switch and possibly wire up an alternator and I should be good to go.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

the homeless tractor hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,972 Thanks
  • 5,148 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 05:24 PM

Rebuild the Kohler - you'll be happier in the end.

• boyscout862, Leonard VanCamp, chieffan and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Bluenoser OFFLINE  

Bluenoser
  • 89 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 05:31 PM

I plan to at some point, was just was hoping to mount this on for the time being to hold me over. Will probably use this one either way while I rebuild the Kohler but hate the thought of using pull start on the mower.

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 4,311 Thanks
  • 3,418 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 06:34 PM

Briggs and Stratton 391988  Flywheel Assembly.  Includes ring gear and Magnets for the charging system.

Any of these flywheels on Ebay will work. 

https://www.ebay.com... 391988&_sop=15

• boyscout862, chieffan and Bluenoser have said thanks

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,985 Thanks
  • 3,026 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 06:40 PM

I was under the impression that most generator motors have a tapered shaft.  Have you confirmed shaft size and diameter?

• boyscout862, chieffan and Bluenoser have said thanks

#6 Bluenoser OFFLINE  

Bluenoser
  • 89 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 06:46 PM

It does. I'm going to order an adapter of the right size. A quick search on ebay and they can be found for around $50-60. A little shopping around online/local machinist I might be lucky enough to find one cheaper

#7 Bluenoser OFFLINE  

Bluenoser
  • 89 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 07:21 PM

Briggs and Stratton 391988  Flywheel Assembly.  Includes ring gear and Magnets for the charging system.

Any of these flywheels on Ebay will work. 

https://www.ebay.com... 391988&_sop=15

So with 391988 I would just need to match up the alternator. correct?

This is the part I'm having troubles with mostly. There's 4 alternators listed for this model, 2 regulators and a couple different starters. Pretty sure the cheaper Arrowhead SBS0001 Starter will work for me, but trying to figure out what alternator and regulator I need. I'm assuming a simple lawn tractor solenoid from Canadian Tire and generic 5 pole switch will work.

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 4,311 Thanks
  • 3,418 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 08:23 PM

By the sounds of it you will have just as much into it as you would if you were rebuilding the Kohler.

I think I would rebuild the Kohler. The Kohler will last alot longer than the Briggs.  I Love Briggs engines for there good fuel economy and parts availability and simplistic design. But a good Kohler engine will out perform and out live an aluminum block Briggs any day of the week.

• Gtractor, boyscout862, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#9 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,790 Thanks
  • 1,696 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 08:47 PM

sent you a PM with manual

the alternator matches up with the number and size of the magnets on the flywheel. Also the color of the stater coil connector matches the voltage regulator. Red, green,or yellow

Edited by jms180, March 06, 2018 - 08:51 PM.

• Bluenoser and lloydmf10 have said thanks

#10 Bluenoser OFFLINE  

Bluenoser
  • 89 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 08:49 PM

oh definitely agree. Just won't have the time to rebuild the kohler and get it back into service before I'll need it. Never rebuilt an engine before so it'll be a learning process, most likely with a few mess ups and reordering of parts so I want to take the time to do it right. If it's too much cost and work I won't bother to put the electric start on the briggs but thought it would make a good temp/spare motor while I figure out the kohler

#11 Bluenoser OFFLINE  

Bluenoser
  • 89 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 09:03 PM

Actually just did some measuring and it looks like there's enough straight shaft before the taper that, if my cheap crappy thickness gauge is right, a 1" piece of copper pipe should shim it just enough to make my pulley assembly fit just right. have to do a few more measurements but I think I can make it work for a couple bucks and a little luck.

So I should be able to use it as a temp either way, so long as the shaft position lines up ok without causing too much headache. just hoping to avoid a pull start on my tractor. 

Edited by Bluenoser, March 06, 2018 - 09:39 PM.

#12 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,693 Thanks
  • 9,476 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 11:36 PM

Look around for another of the same engine with the starter that is blown. I salvage cranks, flywheels, carbs and heads from blown generators. These frequent power outages we've been having are tough on the generators that don't get oil in them.  I picked up a 5 kw generator for $25 with the engine blown but the generator head good. I was given one with a good engine but a burned generator head. I'll try to see which engine is in it tomorrow. My old slow brain just realized that you can probably salvage the parts you need from a dead lawn tractor. The parts should be the same whether the crank is vertical or horizontal. LTs show up at the dump once the weather warms up. Good Luck, Rick

• jms180 and Bluenoser have said thanks

#13 lloydmf10 OFFLINE  

lloydmf10
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 88933
  • 62 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 10:57 PM

I'm doing the same thing with my mf10. I am not too experienced but my kids are doing it as a 4h project and the motto is "learn to do by doing". as I'm new to electrical my question is do I need to do something with the magneto if I have an alternator?

#14 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 248 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted March 08, 2018 - 03:10 PM

It does. I'm going to order an adapter of the right size. A quick search on ebay and they can be found for around $50-60. A little shopping around online/local machinist I might be lucky enough to find one cheaper

I've handled one that typically comes up in searches and I was less than impressed with what I saw. It took a fair bit of modification to fit the taper properly and the provided key left much to be desired as well. If the adapter you're looking at is touted as being machined from stressproof, it's probably the same one. I would suggest either replacing the crankshaft if you can find a replacement or talk with a local machinist first.

It's not a completely terrible adapter, but for that price I don't think you should have to machine it further. I spent nearly as much time modifying it as I'd have spent making a custom one myself and I was never happy with the fit....given, if you don't have a lathe that's harder to do. I guess the short story is, it'll work but it's unlikely to be a simple drop-in solution, or at least it wasn't in my experience.

• limebuzz and Bluenoser have said thanks