34 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,693 Thanks
  • 9,476 posts

Posted March 05, 2018 - 11:43 PM

There are still people without power from Friday's storm. Now, we are supposed to get another on Wednesday. They are forecasting 4" to 12+".

I was outside to get wood today and noticed that one of the tent garages has ripped. I won't get to do anything about it this week. I did some straightening of tractor covers.

Tomorrow I will try to lay in a bunch of wood and get all of my shopping done. Tuesday is what I like to call Geezer day at the local grocery stores. Discounts for seniors. So I do my shopping on Tuesdays and save about 10%. It helps.

The weather guessers are also talking about another storm next Monday. I hope that this isn't a pattern for the future. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, March 05, 2018 - 11:49 PM.

• Gtractor, KennyP, MFDAC and 5 others have said thanks

#2 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 2,250 Thanks
  • 1,602 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 12:46 AM

be safe

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#3 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 5,709 Thanks
  • 2,392 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 01:44 AM

Remember the blizzard last March, Rick? I broke the axle tube on my Allis plowing that one. March has got to be the most unpredictable month in these parts.
  • KennyP, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#4 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 4,103 Thanks
  • 2,930 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 04:38 AM

Been downgraded up here since yesterday , but still expecting 6"-14". I'll believe it when I see it. Full tank of gas for the generator and the snowblower.  Good luck to all, stay warm and safe.

• KennyP, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,357 Thanks
  • 7,640 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 06:14 AM

It's going to be tough if they don't get people back in power today if it snows like there saying . Anything on the ground could get covered like wires , cross arms , metal brackets . Those poor people that are " single no lights " since last Fri. could have to wait even longer if more outages come .  Theres line crews from across the country working in the Northeast so thats a great help 

• lyall, KennyP, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,529 Thanks
  • 47,427 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 06:25 AM

You folks are getting hammered up there!

• boyscout862 and Reed Breneman have said thanks

#7 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,338 Thanks
  • 10,295 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 07:35 AM

I was outside to get wood today and noticed that one of the tent garages has ripped. I won't get to do anything about it this week. I did some straightening of tractor covers.

Your at the point to make a choice . . .         down grade your collection or get some rental space.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 13,693 Thanks
  • 9,476 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 08:46 AM

Your at the point to make a choice . . .         down grade your collection or get some rental space.

You are right, I hope to get rid of 50 tractors, 5 trucks, several generators, and just clean up a bunch of junk this year. I have 4 more tent garages to set up but need to clear a flat area in the woods. When they are in shaded areas, the tent garage tarps last much longer. I also have the option of digging a 40' x 50' foundation hole, 18' deep and setting up my WWII US Navy prefab steel bunker. It is 30' x 40' and 15' tall and would hold alot but would cost over $20,000 in concrete work. I will not use a storage space because I have plenty of my own woods. I just need to clean out and set things up better. Good Luck, Rick
  • KennyP, MFDAC, LilysDad and 2 others have said thanks

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 13,693 Thanks
  • 9,476 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 08:54 AM

It's going to be tough if they don't get people back in power today if it snows like there saying . Anything on the ground could get covered like wires , cross arms , metal brackets . Those poor people that are " single no lights " since last Fri. could have to wait even longer if more outages come .  Theres line crews from across the country working in the Northeast so thats a great help

We've got Canadian Crews too. I worry about the guys on the power crews, they are working 16 hour shifts. It is dangerous work and to be tired on top is looking for trouble. I usually stop and talk to the guys around my place. I thank them and tell them where to get good food and where there are public restrooms. Our local grocery makes excellant grinders and the "grinder of the week" is only $4 for a 12" grinder. Good Luck, Rick
  • Alc, lyall, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#10 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 3,053 Thanks
  • 1,366 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 06:06 PM

Yep here we go again, lucky for me we get dumped on all the time so very seldom do we ever lose power. We are kinda like the Canadian Crews we are use to the abuse. I did get my tractors ready, they say we could see 18" in our area. The timing for this one will be good it will start at 10:00 AM so will clear what falls at the end of the day and not have to deal with doing all 18" at a time.  

• Alc, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,568 Thanks
  • 1,469 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 06:28 PM

Just watched the news, still about 12,000 without power in eastern Massachusetts .

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 3,651 Thanks
  • 1,739 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 08:34 PM

What's coming your way is moving out of our area now. All we got was bad wind, but 100 miles east I-90 is closed with blizzard conditions. I think Leonard Van Camp is getting it and maybe CVans too.

Hoping you all get some relief out there!

DAC

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#13 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 684 Thanks
  • 483 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 09:23 PM

What's coming your way is moving out of our area now. All we got was bad wind, but 100 miles east I-90 is closed with blizzard conditions. I think Leonard Van Camp is getting it and maybe CVans too.

Hoping you all get some relief out there!

DAC

Snow ended around 12pm today, crews are still out cleaning up the mess. Spent all day today clearing cul-de-sac's with the water departments loader with a snow plow on it. Tomorrow I'll probably be clearing well heads and resevoirs. Man, thought I left the heavy snow in PA when I moved out here. Drifting is bad out here. Hope y'all back east catch a break and the storm isn't as powerful as they predict.  

• Alc, KennyP, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#14 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,924 Thanks
  • 5,455 posts

Posted March 06, 2018 - 09:40 PM

We got travel advisories. No rv or empty trucks on the main interstate roads in the eastern part of the state. But the prediction is lower winds than last week. Several trucks got flipped in the wind. And 6-10" of snow locally for tomorrow.
  • KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#15 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • 13,693 Thanks
  • 9,476 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 08:51 AM

Schools are closed, its snowing in the western part of the state and moving this way. I need to fire up the wood stove downstairs and just wait it out. I cleanned up abit outside yesterday and ran the 2000 to make sure its battery was fully charged. I parked it near the house where it is better sheltered from wind and covered it. I brought wood in and cleanned the downstairs woodstove. I went to Big Y and got us a party size pizza which feeds us for 6 meals. The young man that makes the pizzas normally makes them perfect. Somehow yesterday, he made it heavenly. I don't think it will last as long as they usually do.

Now, I'll  just monitor the storm and work on my tax return. I plan to plow just before sun down. Starting to see a few snow flakes now. Stay safe guys. Good Luck, Rick

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks