• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Windin99 OFFLINE  

Windin99
  • Member No: 87043
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 03, 2018 - 02:39 AM

I am trying to swap the engine on a 1956 Country Squire. I'm putting a K241 on it in place of the old Briggs.I am having trouble removing the coupler that holds the clutch assembly from the old engine. I have soaked it in penetrating oil and also tried heating it. All to no avail it will not budge. Any suggestions? It is still inside the bell housing which is part of the side plate of the motor. So no way other than a crow bar on each side through the slots, to do any leverage. Half scared to try a whack or two with a dead blow hammer to see if it will slide inward to start with! I do know for sure I'll have to get another bell housing but was hoping not to get a new coupler!

Edited by Windin99, March 03, 2018 - 02:41 AM.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,249 Thanks
  • 1,585 posts

Posted March 03, 2018 - 02:58 AM

I do not know your machine specifically and you have not mentioned set screws but I do know some machines have clutch parts and pulleys that are held on with setscrews. Some have a setscrew to hold the part on and also a second setscrew on top of that one to act as a lock. have you checked all holes for multiple setscrews. also have you checked out the manuals section of the sight third tab from the left at the top of this page. As a new member you are allowed to download three manuals per day. welcome and good luck.  Don  

• boyscout862, chieffan, RustyB and 1 other said thanks

#3 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 4,103 Thanks
  • 2,930 posts

Posted March 03, 2018 - 06:38 AM

:welcometogttalk:

and pics would help identify the issue.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,705 Thanks
  • 1,606 posts

Posted March 03, 2018 - 09:31 AM

Hi are talking about the clutch flywheel with the pulley grooves in it? If so be very care full it is cast iron and will break if you try using a puller on it, as posted there are 2 set screws in it and sometime they have 2 screws per hole. Some use wedges between the pulley and the engine to get it to move out heat does seem to be to effective as there is so much mass to heat others have used a portapower with the wedge again between the pulley and the engine othe use bolts in the engine to jack it off just a few suggestions

If you do a search on removing the clutch flywheel you should find how others have done it

I was lucky on my 49 when I removed it I used a pickle fork and it came right off

• secondtry and Windin99 have said thanks

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 5,242 posts

Posted March 03, 2018 - 11:13 AM

OI have never done it, but as stated I have heard the a portapower with spreader jaws is the best method.

• MNGB and Windin99 have said thanks

#6 Windin99 OFFLINE  

Windin99
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 03, 2018 - 12:28 PM

I never thought about two set screws! I did remove one from each belt grove before trying to remove the assembly. I'll check for the extra screws and try to heat it and use the pickle fork method. Thanks guys

• MNGB said thank you

#7 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,705 Thanks
  • 1,606 posts

Posted March 03, 2018 - 12:36 PM

Hi Windin99, just remembered this you will need a different flywheel to go from a Briggs to a Kohler the Briggs engine have a 1" crankshaft and the Kohler's have 1 1/8"  CS but still be care full removing yours the hogshead should work on either engine

What model Briggs is in the tractor a 23?

Edited by MNGB, March 03, 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#8 Windin99 OFFLINE  

Windin99
  • 3 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 12, 2018 - 01:41 PM

Ok.

I finally got the flywheel off with the help of a friend with some better engineering skills. What I thought was a Briggs engine turns out to be a Wisconsin. I guess I'm getting dumbatitis in my old age! Anyway, we used an air hammer and a wood splitting wedge. And after heating it, about 15 minutes it popped right off. It does seem that all the parts will be interchangable. The instrument panel, hood and front grill are going to be from an old Jacobson tractor since I haven't been able to acquire any sheet metal for a 56.Those parts closely resemble the pics I saw of a 56 on an antique tractor web site.I'm in the process of getting a digital camera that will load pics on my computer. I'll post some when I can. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions!

• MNGB said thank you

#9 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,705 Thanks
  • 1,606 posts

Posted March 12, 2018 - 05:33 PM

Hi Windin99, good to hear you got the flywheel off sometimes they can be a bugger ya finding a hood could be a challenge I have a sales brochure for 1957 (don't have a 56) I'll attach

Attached File  1957 Sales Brochure.pdf   8.05MB   13 downloads