• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 chrissmallwood OFFLINE  

chrissmallwood
  • Member No: 89295
  • 69 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 09:11 AM

Hello. I need some help adjusting my governor. Ive followed the manual and reset the governor shaft and arm and made sure the spring was in the correct holes. Ive tried adjusting the throttle arm clockwise while holding the governor shaft  and Ive adjusted the linkage screw all the way out but still cant get it to the correct speed. The best I can do is just under 3500 but Id like to get it to 3600. 

I verified the engine was performing correctly by disconnecting the governor and running the throttle by hand and it would easily pull to 4000 without hesitation. Any ideas on what to do to help get the speed up?

• chieffan said thank you

#2 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 3,053 Thanks
  • 1,366 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 09:40 AM

Maybe a good idea to tell people what kind of engine your working on. 

• chieffan and chrissmallwood have said thanks

#3 chrissmallwood OFFLINE  

chrissmallwood
  • 69 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 10:09 AM

Your right that would be a good idea. Didn't even cross my mind as I was typing it out. Its a K241

• chieffan said thank you

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,920 Thanks
  • 3,540 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 12:16 PM

Living in Illinois we need governor help too. badly so.
  • KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,808 Thanks
  • 7,294 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 01:01 PM

That ain't no lie and I am not from Ill but next door.

• KennyP said thank you

#6 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,249 Thanks
  • 1,585 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 01:28 PM

In Washington the Governor is beyond help we need a transplant. As far as the 241 governor with the engine stopped try pushing the governor arm in such a way as to open up the throttle, if it stops before wide open throttle it is possible your linkage rod is to long. You haven't mentioned any history. Is it a new to you machine? Are you the only one who has "fixed" it? Are all the parts original?  More information = more help.  Don

• KennyP said thank you

#7 chrissmallwood OFFLINE  

chrissmallwood
  • 69 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 02:01 PM

It is new to me and the only work Ive done to it is to remove the head to resurface it. I didn't touch anything internal or external other then the head. As to the originality of the parts I couldn't say.

When you mention the linkage rod you are referring to the threaded rod between the governor arm and the throttle correct?

Edited by chrissmallwood, March 02, 2018 - 02:01 PM.

#8 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • 2,249 Thanks
  • 1,585 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 02:46 PM

It is new to me and the only work Ive done to it is to remove the head to resurface it. I didn't touch anything internal or external other then the head. As to the originality of the parts I couldn't say.

When you mention the linkage rod you are referring to the threaded rod between the governor arm and the throttle correct?

That is the one. Since the machine is new to you what did you get for history from the P O. Did it function properly for him. Was he the original owner?  Does the engine idle down properly? I am sure that the manual can be found. Have you checked out our manuals section Third tab from the left at the top of this page? Don

#9 chrissmallwood OFFLINE  

chrissmallwood
  • 69 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 04:06 PM

Po was not the original owner. He bought as is then let it sit in the garage till he sold it. The engine does idle down correctly and the throttle will open all the way when I move the governor arm. I downloaded the Kohler manual and that's what I was referencing when I was trying to adjust it. It mainly told me how to reset the governor but I didn't see anything on fine tuning and diagnosing issues.

Edited by chrissmallwood, March 02, 2018 - 04:09 PM.

• secondtry said thank you

#10 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 3,053 Thanks
  • 1,366 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 06:31 PM

The only thing I can think of is getting a bit more on the governor arm , maybe disconnect it from the throttle shaft when you do it and make it open a little more by adjusting it just a little further then it is now. Thats the only adjustment that is not fixed in a certain spot , if I recall there are no splines on the shaft so also make sure that is tight and didn't move any, you can mark it when you done to make sure its not slipping.

I know by doing it that way you can easily make them over rev so I can't see any reason why you can't get it to rev to its limit.

#11 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 558 Thanks
  • 511 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 07:14 PM

Maximum rpm is limited by the amount of travel in the throttle cable. In most cases there is provision on the engine to do this. Sometimes it is a simple L bracket secured to the valve cover bolt. You may need to pull the throttle cable casing back away from the engine and reclamp it. It is not going to take much because you are only looking for a 2.8% increase in rpm. Not worth it in my opinion.

Garry

#12 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • 2,249 Thanks
  • 1,585 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 08:06 PM

Po was not the original owner. He bought as is then let it sit in the garage till he sold it. The engine does idle down correctly and the throttle will open all the way when I move the governor arm. I downloaded the Kohler manual and that's what I was referencing when I was trying to adjust it. It mainly told me how to reset the governor but I didn't see anything on fine tuning and diagnosing issues.

So that means at this point you have little idea what you are dealing with as far as previous "repairs". If the governor will pull it down to idle and the linkage will allow wide open throttle then increasing the tension on the spring attached to the throttle cable should increase the RPM. re positioning the throttle cable to pull more tension when wide open will increase rpm. if some one has replaced that spring with a lighter one that could also be your problem. The spring pulls the butterfly open, the governor arm pushes the butterfly closed, the balance between the two forces determines the RPM Don

Edited by secondtry, March 02, 2018 - 08:07 PM.

#13 chrissmallwood OFFLINE  

chrissmallwood
  • 69 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 08:26 PM

I'll just have to sit down and make some adjustments and see what kind of combination is the right one.

#14 chrissmallwood OFFLINE  

chrissmallwood
  • 69 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 03, 2018 - 07:57 AM

Ok I think I've made progress. On my tractor there was a return spring attached to the throttle on the carb going to the body shell. All the pictures I've seen I don't see that spring so I think someone put it there for some reason. I took it off and it was able to pull rpm so now I just need to adjust it down to the correct speed.
  • poncho62 and secondtry have said thanks

#15 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 2,259 Thanks
  • 1,837 posts

Posted March 03, 2018 - 09:02 AM

Ok I think I've made progress. On my tractor there was a return spring attached to the throttle on the carb going to the body shell. All the pictures I've seen I don't see that spring so I think someone put it there for some reason. I took it off and it was able to pull rpm so now I just need to adjust it down to the correct speed.

Are you talking about the very fine spring that goes to the heat shield on the side of the cylinder?...If so, I have had that spring on a number of my LGTs.....I think it belongs there.