• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 plab OFFLINE  

plab

• Member No: 4629
  • 6 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 05, 2011 - 02:57 PM

Hi all, new this this forum .I just bought myself an ariens gt20, the guy didn't know what year it was. Can anybody here tell me ? also I need the U joint for the drive shaft on the blower can these be had ? rather then buying the assembly ?

thanks, plab

#2 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted July 05, 2011 - 03:12 PM

Those small u-joints arents replaceable.Either you end up buying a complete shaft etc: or you fab up your own using yokes and joints. You can get weasler yokes and joints.The part# for the 3/4" x7/8" slip yoke is 510 -0600 the splined yoke #Saf-t-lok 105-0615 and the cross and brg #200-600 Larry

Edited by massey driver, July 05, 2011 - 03:17 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and MH81 have said thanks

#3 plab OFFLINE  

plab

• 6 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 06:15 AM

The part numbers, are those ariens numbers ? Where would I get the parts ?
Making up my own shaft would be the way to go then it can be repaired.

Larry thanks for the great info

Paul

#4 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 07:18 AM

The part numbers, are those ariens numbers ? Where would I get the parts ?
Making up my own shaft would be the way to go then it can be repaired.

Larry thanks for the great info

Paul

The part numbers are weasler part numbers.I'am sure any parts place that sells u-joints will beable to get them for you.Larry

#5 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 02:58 PM

The part numbers are weasler part numbers.I'am sure any parts place that sells u-joints will beable to get them for you.Larry

I just bought a custom u-joint to power a hydraulic pump for the loader on my GT20 from Drive Line Service. Their prices were good, especially compared to the Ariens dealer.

You can also keep an eye on eBay. There are a couple on there now.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 04:42 PM

:wave: plab Welcome to GTTalk! Nice to have you on board! I'm very glad to see that you're already getting the help that you needed. Hope you enjoy the forum.

#7 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 07:19 PM

:wave: plab Welcome to GTTalk.

Where are my manners?!?

Welcome to GTTalk! I have a GT17 with a loader, and a GT20 for mowing and snowblowing. The GT20 is an awesome machine. Its easily the best mowing tractor I've ever used. Good luck with it, and post some pictures soon!

#8 plab OFFLINE  

plab

• 6 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 02:34 AM

thanks all, I'll get some photos posted asap .I'm not to good with that kind of computer stuff.
yesterday I pulled the motor out of it, the starter was dragging . turned a new bushing for the drive end cap
and its just like new again. ordered a new hydro fan it had a blade half missing, so that will hold me up for a little
wish that I had an owners manual for it. ??? ebay? anyway so whats the chain/handle thing for in the rear ?
I'm guessing its lift assist ???
Larry thanks again for the info great stuff

plab

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 07:35 AM

Somehow, I missed this post. :welcome: to GTTalk, glad you are already getting fantastic help. Way to go guys!

#10 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 03:59 PM

thanks all, I'll get some photos posted asap .I'm not to good with that kind of computer stuff.

Awesome.

yesterday I pulled the motor out of it, the starter was dragging . turned a new bushing for the drive end cap
and its just like new again.

Wow. That's ambitious. For what you may lack in computer skills, you more than make up for as a machinist :-)

ordered a new hydro fan it had a blade half missing, so that will hold me up for a little

I had the same issue. I could not remove the drive shaft without removing the engine, so I just cut the new blade and slipped it over the shaft, then bolted it in place. Works great.

wish that I had an owners manual for it.

You can download them directly from Ariens
Ariens Owners Manuals

anyway so whats the chain/handle thing for in the rear ?
I'm guessing its lift assist ???

Correct. For example, when you want to install the mower you let the chain all the way in so it is slack. This allows the mounting points for the lift to drop down easier and clip the mower to the tractor. Once the deck is attached, you pull the chain tight and lock it in position.

#11 plab OFFLINE  

plab

• 6 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 06:41 PM

so that's what the chain is for. ain't that slick . I think I'm really liking my my new tractor..
This will make my fourth tractor. I have a 1968 white(jacobson) it has a k241 10hp kohler and it runs just super
but its really slow blowing snow just not enough power. also I have a bolens don't remember the model but its hydro
and has a K301 kohler..this is my mower it has a rear discharge deck . last years project, a 1969 cub 154 lo-boy
I did lots of machine work on this . drive shaf.clutch fly wheel etc.
I'm not a machinist by any means I just own a lathe.. its a toy :)
My bother and I have restored 6 farm tractors and now we're getting into the Garden tractors.

plab

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted July 07, 2011 - 09:34 PM

We're very glad to have you with us plab! A lot of us got our start in farm tractors. I have a few Casees in the shed to prove it. It sounds like you'll fit right in here! If you would like to learn a little about how to post pictures...or anything else for that matter, click here. There are answers on a lot of how-to type things on the forum. If you cannot find the answer to a specific question, just ask and one of us will help you out! And again, Welcome to GTTalk!