Garden Tractor Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nominations For Tractor of the Month of April 2018

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  DougT 
#1 ·
I'm out again this month too. I never paint any thing, just fix mechanical stuff and use them. So you would not see any change in any repairs I do.

Noel

#2 ·
I would like to nominate my Bolens 1053 garden tractor.

It originally left the Bolens factory in 1970 according to the Tube Frame article that Bolens 1000 did that is posted on the website here.
http://gardentractortalk.com/articles.html/_/history/bolens-tractors-the-tube-frame-series-1962-1978-r68

By the time I purchased it a few years ago it had seen a few "modifications" and arrived with no engine or hood. I originally purchased it as a parts tractor and it sat for a couple of years - every time I walked by it I kept hearing it softly whimper "please fix me".

Since the Bolens 1053 was only produced for one year I just didn't have the heart to see it sit in this condition so I decided it would be a challenge to see how respectable I could make it look - you can view the thread that I did on it while it was being worked on here.
http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/57980-bolens-1053-return-to-service-project/

Attached are pictures of the tractor when I got it and how it looks after being worked on. Hope this qualifies as an entry and that there are lots of other member entries.
GREAT JOB!!! I have a soft spot for bolens too. Looks great.

#3 ·
#9 ·
I would like to nominate my Mclean 4-wheel tractor.

I purchased this tractor without even knowing what it was, I just knew that it interested me. I started doing my research after I got it home. Once I found out what it was I thought that I would be able to find all kinds of info out about it, WRONG. Mclean did not put a serial number on these tractors so pinning down the exact year is virtually impossible, all I can say is that they were made from the 50's to early 60's.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20160428_175416687.jpg

Do to the rarity of this tractor it turned out to be the most difficult restoration that I have ever done. With no available parts a lot of time was spent reproducing new ones. The transmission was by far the greatest challenge. The only parts that were not reproduced are the shift pawls.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20160428_175323376.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20170401_183439297-min.jpg

The restoration on this tractor started in 1/17 and was completed in 5/17. My Mclean is now mostly a trailer queen, traveling to many local shows and some parading.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20170514_150010374-min.jpg
I seen this tractor at Portage. I like to go to tractor shows and make a list of tractors I wish I could find. I added 2 tractors at Portage. Yours and a case 150.

Beautiful tractor with a unique drive. Definitely on my to find list

Attachments

#10 ·
I Would like to triple vote on this tractor if possible :)
The work that went into this one is amazing. The attention to detail is top notch. This tractor was a runner up as best in show. Your "to find" on this tractor @Dayton_King might be a pipe dream as these are quite rare. Good luck with your search tho and if you ever get to the Portage show again be sure to stop by and say hello.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.