• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 3,311 posts

Posted February 28, 2018 - 01:13 PM

I broke my  starter/generator stud and the wire inside on my SS15 and a new one on the cheap side is going to be a $120. Has anyone replace the field coils with one of these kits from e-Bay ? https://www.ebay.com...5.c100752.m1982

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 5,696 Thanks
  • 2,390 posts

Posted February 28, 2018 - 02:24 PM

You need to have the correct tools to install the field coils. This is something best left to the electric motor shop guys. Can you solder a new stud on the wire, or did it break off near the coil?
  • boyscout862 and bbuckler have said thanks

#3 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 358 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted February 28, 2018 - 02:40 PM

That shouldn't be a bad job, I wouldn't be afraid to tackle that. My Dad has replaced them before. You do need an impact driver to get the field coil screws out.

#4 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 10,429 Thanks
  • 3,379 posts

Posted February 28, 2018 - 05:05 PM

I have not replaced the field coils with the ebay ones but I have removed the field coils in a starter generator and replaced one of the coils with a new one.  If you attempt to remove the coils you will need the proper bit to fit the screws that hold the field coils in the housing as stated.  Pay attention to notice if any paper or cardboard material was between the field coil and the housing or shoe to act as an insulator.  If there is odds are the material will be brittle from years of heat and not be reusable - I cut some thin gasket paper to replace what was there in the one I did.  The other thing when you go to put the field coils back in make sure you get the shoes that the field coil goes over square with the housing - it is very easy to get them turned just a hair so that they will not be in line with the armature and then they may rub on the armature once things get warm and expand from the heat.  On my first attempt I had one field shoe off a little bit and it rubbed when things got to operating temperature.  Ended up having to take things back apart and used a small square on the end of the housing and along the side of the shoe to verify alignment.  As stated you may be able to solder a new piece of wire to where the old wire broke and install a new stud - hope you get it working.  

#5 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 3,311 posts

Posted March 01, 2018 - 09:12 AM

Anybody know where I can order a new stud for it ? 

#6 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,429 Thanks
  • 3,379 posts

Posted March 01, 2018 - 11:34 AM

If you have the number off of the unit you should be able to take that to an auto parts store and they should be able to find an electrical rebuilder that can supply one if they are still available new.  Sometimes you can make a new stud from a machine screw or small carriage bolt - if you have any starter / alternator repair shops locally you could also check with them.

• bbuckler said thank you

#7 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,249 Thanks
  • 1,584 posts

Posted March 01, 2018 - 12:49 PM

Every city is different. In Spokane Washington I would go to Western Sales. The old man behind the counter may have one in his pocket. Just look for the oldest auto electric shop in town. Don

#8 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 3,311 posts

Posted March 01, 2018 - 05:35 PM

If you have the number off of the unit you should be able to take that to an auto parts store and they should be able to find an electrical rebuilder that can supply one if they are still available new.  Sometimes you can make a new stud from a machine screw or small carriage bolt - if you have any starter / alternator repair shops locally you could also check with them.

I'm going to try a carriage bolt and putting terminal on the end if the wire.

#9 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,429 Thanks
  • 3,379 posts

Posted March 01, 2018 - 06:49 PM

I'm going to try a carriage bolt and putting terminal on the end if the wire.

You may have to file the carriage bolt to shape and make sure it is insulated from the housing - sometimes a siphon tube from an old windex bottle can be cut and used as an insulator sleeve and an oring or gasket paper against the inner and outer part of the body will work as an insulator.  You may be able to solder a wire to the carriage bolt head if you can get it clean enough by filing the coating and then wire brushing the area.  Hope you get it fixed and working.

#10 bbuckler ONLINE  

bbuckler
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 3,311 posts

Posted March 01, 2018 - 07:02 PM

You may have to file the carriage bolt to shape and make sure it is insulated from the housing - sometimes a siphon tube from an old windex bottle can be cut and used as an insulator sleeve and an oring or gasket paper against the inner and outer part of the body will work as an insulator.  You may be able to solder a wire to the carriage bolt head if you can get it clean enough by filing the coating and then wire brushing the area.  Hope you get it fixed and working.

The old insulator is still good and usable 

• 29 Chev said thank you