Garden Tractor Forums banner

New machine and brand is set to be picked up!

3K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  dropped82 
#1 ·
After perusing the Let it Go app, I stumbled across a large frame Bolens.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

They were asking 400. I though it looked a little rough bit since its 10 minutes away. It was worth an interest. I went back and forth for a while till I finally went yesterday and managed to strike a deal. It's currently not a runner. Comes with a deck. Tires aired up. Guy said it quit getting fuel. Hydro had no water in it. I noticed an electric pump and non original throttle cable. Also has a different muffler. Picking it up Tuesday. I figured I couldn't go wrong at 100!!!! That was his price after I told to there was no way of give him 400. It'll fit in nice with all my other big boys in the shop. I've never owned anything Bolens. Looking for any insight on this machine. I'd like to find a 3 point for it. Or maybe even build one.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
This one has the big 23hp Kohler. It's pretty much the same size as my Massey loader and Deere 420. Seems that's what my collection is heading towards. All the big boys built.

#6 ·
Certainly nothing wrong with that! But you better build a very large building to store them big boys in!
They do take up a lot of space!!!

#7 ·
After perusing the Let it Go app, I stumbled across a large frame Bolens.
attachicon.gif
Screenshot_20180224-150619.png
They were asking 400. I though it looked a little rough bit since its 10 minutes away. It was worth an interest. I went back and forth for a while till I finally went yesterday and managed to strike a deal. It's currently not a runner. Comes with a deck. Tires aired up. Guy said it quit getting fuel. Hydro had no water in it. I noticed an electric pump and non original throttle cable. Also has a different muffler. Picking it up Tuesday. I figured I couldn't go wrong at 100!!!! That was his price after I told to there was no way of give him 400. It'll fit in nice with all my other big boys in the shop. I've never owned anything Bolens. Looking for any insight on this machine. I'd like to find a 3 point for it. Or maybe even build one.

Good story.....great deal, great machine! I love big garden tractors and this one is no exception. It'll fit in well with the Massey Ferguson 1655/1855.

#17 ·
Good find one of the few large frames I don't own yet.

#18 ·
Got her home today. No good pics right now. It was dark when I unloaded. Deck weighs a ton. Either tomorrow or Wednesday, I'll try and get some better pics and info on it.

#19 ·
One thing I noticed is the lack of turning radius. My pickup can turn tighter. I'm hoping there's an adjustment somewhere to get some more out of it. It doesn't turn, it just changes lanes haha.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
One thing I noticed is the lack of turning radius. My pickup can turn tighter. I'm hoping there's an adjustment somewhere to get some more out of it. It doesn't turn, it just changes lanes haha.

Turning radius isn't the best, but, you'll get used to it fast and the good thing is that the machine is hydrostatic so FWD/REV motions are a breeze.

You can make small adjustments to increase the radius just a bit, but nothing dramatic by any means. Here are the instructions:

fSe6Q25h.jpg

4o3IqvBh.jpg

#21 ·
Here's a few more photos I took tonight. It'll be a little while before I start messing with it.

I've heard of cracked bolsters and I'm assuming mine is good. Didn't see any breaks anywhere. Deck is actually in pretty good shape. Will probably never use it though. Would really like to find a 3 point for it. I think it could join the plowday crew!! Brown Automotive tire Tread Wood Rim
Wood Gas Bumper Motor vehicle Machine
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Fender
Brown Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive lighting
Road surface Wood Automotive tire Tire Floor

Attachments

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Given by what I've read searching, it's either a 79 or 80. It also has dual hydraulics. Was that standard? Wish it had power steering but I'm not complaining. At least not yet haha.

Will probably order new throttle and choke cables. Seen those new on feebay. Also, going to put some seafoam in the fuel tank tonight to start breaking things loose. Might make cleaning a little easier down the road.

#24 ·
Thanks for more pictures! Glad to hear you got it home. That's a 1979, as it's serial number 01-0189. Production run 01. That would make it the 89th HT23 ever made.
She looks a bit rusty, but should clean up fine. Do you know yet if it runs?
I haven't got to that point yet. I have to get my plowday machines squared away since I have one coming March 31st. Then once I'm confident in that, I'll start toying around with it.

Reactions: logmillingman
#25 ·
Thanks for more pictures! Glad to hear you got it home. That's a 1979, as it's serial number 01-0189. Production run 01. That would make it the 89th HT23 ever made.
She looks a bit rusty, but should clean up fine. Do you know yet if it runs?
0101890 Makes it number 1790

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.