• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drivadesl OFFLINE  

drivadesl
  • Member No: 16725
  • 4 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 04:44 PM

Hi all.  I've recently acquired a 1973 Power King 2414 in decent running condition, but she needs some clean up.  Sorry, no photos at the moment, but one item that needs correcting is routing of both battery cables.  Presently the positive battery cable runs along the outside of the drive tunnel to the engine compartment.  The battery itself sits on the sheet metal adjacent to the wheel well, and has the ground cable attached to the sheet metal via a screw into a tapped hole.  The battery is held in place with a bungy cord.  

So if someone has a photo that shows the correct routing of the positve cable, and where/how the ground is attached, that would be helpful.  A bonus for showing the proper way battery is held in place.  

Thanks

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#2 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 119 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 07:55 PM

my ground wire on my 74 2414 is attached to the seat mount bolt with a big eye. my battery is on the sheet metal between the seat and the fender. my positive cables run up the tunnel on top of the transmissions, under the sheet metal. 

• drivadesl and chieffan have said thanks

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,704 Thanks
  • 1,605 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 11:33 PM

Hi drivadesl, welcome to PK ownership great tractors, on all three of the PK's I have the ground is attached right next to the battery batteries are all secured via bungees the positive cable runs inside the tunnel over the top of the trannys and torque tube exits a hole in the tunnel at the dash. This is about the only picture I have

HPIM2213.JPG

• drivadesl said thank you

#4 drivadesl OFFLINE  

drivadesl
  • Member No: 16725
  • 4 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted February 26, 2018 - 08:27 PM

Thank you both for your replies! The photo helps with the ground cable, but by the descriptions, I can see now how to route the positive cable.  MNGB, are the angle pieces original to the PK to keep the battery in place?  I'd think they originally had some straps or threaded rods that clamped down keeping the battery in place between the angles?  Nothing wrong with bugees, just wondered how it was done originally. 

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,849 Thanks
  • 8,036 posts

Posted February 26, 2018 - 08:34 PM

Have seen, used the GM block at base of battery, one each side, have made a frame for around battery and two long 1/4" bolts and wingnuts on a strap accross, and bungees, and ratchet straps. Just wing it and make what you like. I have even seen plastic battery boxes from boats used, with lid and all. Best to check space under seat tho for that. I also have and not used a plastic batt tray and the hold downs kind of universal to bolt down that area, not used yet.  I moved my GT sized battery right up front on the tractor in my Avatar. It's angle iron welded up and bolted to side of frame, close to starter. Short run cables that way, and grounded right to engine mount bolts.

• MNGB said thank you

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,704 Thanks
  • 1,605 posts

Posted February 26, 2018 - 09:00 PM

Thank you both for your replies! The photo helps with the ground cable, but by the descriptions, I can see now how to route the positive cable.  MNGB, are the angle pieces original to the PK to keep the battery in place?  I'd think they originally had some straps or threaded rods that clamped down keeping the battery in place between the angles?  Nothing wrong with bugees, just wondered how it was done originally. 

Hi no I added the aluminum angles, I think originally they had rods and a hold down that slipped over the top of the battery but I've never seen a PK with the OEM as GL posted most anything that holds it in place and you like it is good

Here's a link to a thread about the battery  hold down

http://gardentractor...ket#entry802066

Edited by MNGB, February 26, 2018 - 10:56 PM.

• drivadesl said thank you

#7 coxhaus OFFLINE  

coxhaus
  • Member No: 88903
  • 136 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted March 01, 2018 - 05:33 PM

I wanted to add my solution for holding a battery in a PK2414 tractor.  I bought 2 stainless steel eyebolts.  The eyebolt size is based on the thread hole in the battery plate on a PK2414 tractor.  The eyebolts are kind of big I think they were 5/16" sold at tractor supply.  I also bought a car battery at Walmart which fit exactly between the eyebolts.  The eyebolts are so large that with the battery installed between them the eyebolts cannot unthread because the eye hits the battery.  The eyebolt becomes vibration proof because you cannot take them out without first removing the battery.  I then used a rubber strap to hold the battery down.

I also chose a side terminal so the tractor seat will never bounce and short on top posts.

You will notice my + battery cable goes through a grommet in the center tunnel and routes along the center tunnel.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0207.jpg
  • IMG_0208.jpg

• Alc and drivadesl have said thanks