• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,155 Thanks
  • 1,101 posts

Posted March 13, 2018 - 09:51 AM

I have never started peppers before, heard they were hard to start. Would like to try this year, I grow jalapenos and green bell pepper. Is it too late to start from seed?  I live in Mi. also and usually don't set out pepper plants until May 20-30. I am really gettin' the bug to go play in the dirt. If I can start anything now it will make my day. I would like to start some cool weather crops like broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, onions etc. Might be able to get away with that. I GOTTA PLANT SOMETHIN'.

Thanks,

Bill

I have a utility closet with a furnace (for a part of the house we don't normally use and keep at 50 degrees) and a water heater.  It stays about 72 degrees above the heater.

I put my pots with seeds in there in a covered box (it's not a seed tray per se, but more of a plastic shoe box).  I planted three batches of seeds: 1 batch I got from a pepper last year, a batch my aunt gave me 4 or 5 years ago, and some old ones I recently found in the garage.  The new seeds were all up in about a week, about half the four year old seeds are up and no sign of the others.

I put a CFL lamp in the closet and run it about 16 hours/day with the box open now that the seeds are up.

Once I stop getting new plants I'm going to move them into the 50 degree part of the house in a sunny window to slow them down a bit.  They'll outgrow the pots before I put them out if I don't slow them down.

This will be the first time I've tried to slow the plants down.  I usually start too late and don't get peppers.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#17 Mustard Tiger ONLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • Member No: 84537
  • 122 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted March 13, 2018 - 02:01 PM

I grow jalapenos and green bell pepper. Is it too late to start from seed?  I live in Mi. also and usually don't set out pepper plants until May 20-30.

Nope, you've still got plenty of time. I've always gone with 8 weeks for normal stuff (peppers, tomatoes, etc). We plant at the end of May too, and the only things I have started so far are onions and celeriac. I'll be doing some broccoli this week, and then everything else can wait until next weekend (or later for the melons and squash).
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#18 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 817 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted March 24, 2018 - 01:51 PM

Did my indoor tomato and pepper plantings for me and the neighbours today.  These are all on heat pads, entire light table is 25C or 78F.

Tomatoes

12 San Marzano

4 Matts Wild Cherry

4 Moskvich

4 Tappys Heritage

Peppers

14 Tomcat Sweet Bell

6 Serrano

6 Poblano

2 Mad Hatter

2 Carmen Sweet Banana

Attached Thumbnails

• plants.jpg
  • plants2.jpg

Edited by ShotgunWedding, March 24, 2018 - 01:52 PM.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#19 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,289 Thanks
  • 5,019 posts

Posted March 24, 2018 - 04:19 PM

Still too early to start seeds here, so I "slipped"  a bunch of geraniums and some Virginia Creeper vines yesterday.  They should be growing strongly by the time our Horticultural Club has it's spring plant sale in May.

• Alc said thank you

#20 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 799 Thanks
  • 616 posts

Posted March 24, 2018 - 06:49 PM

Did my indoor tomato and pepper plantings for me and the neighbours today.  These are all on heat pads, entire light table is 25C or 78F.

Tomatoes

12 San Marzano

4 Matts Wild Cherry

4 Moskvich

4 Tappys Heritage

Peppers

14 Tomcat Sweet Bell

6 Serrano

6 Poblano

2 Mad Hatter

2 Carmen Sweet Banana

Sounds like u r going to make some salsa.

Edited by lrhredjb, March 24, 2018 - 06:50 PM.

#21 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 817 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted March 29, 2018 - 03:51 PM

As of today (Mar 29), all the San Marzano's and Tappy tomatoes are up!!!

Serrano peppers are just starting, there are 3 poking out.

I planted some onions also forgetting to mention, half of them are up too.  So, stuff is coming along!!!

• KennyP said thank you

#22 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 817 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted April 17, 2018 - 08:01 AM

Update on the plants.  Pretty well everything germinated well.  Tomatoes and peppers were germinated on heated grow pads.  Here is how everything looks.

Tomatoes are off the heat and doing well.  Four different varieties.

Peppers are still on heat and will remain on heat.  They are all looking fine too.

Onions are coming along nice down on the bottom level of grow light close to cold cement basement floor to keep them cool.  Also have herbs down there (labeled eggplant) and some more peppers on their own heat pad.

Planted some more stuff last night.  Planted watermelons and muskmelons and cucumbers (on heat), four different lettuces on the cool bottom beside the onions and a few more herbs, a basil and a cilantro.

Attached Thumbnails

• plant4.jpg
  • plants 6.jpg
  • plants 5.jpg

• Alc, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,082 Thanks
  • 46,745 posts

Posted April 18, 2018 - 07:19 AM

Hope the grounds thaws out for you to plant them!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#24 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,289 Thanks
  • 5,019 posts

Posted April 19, 2018 - 11:33 AM

Nice pics, gives me hope for spring.  Do you give the onions a "haircut' or let them keep reaching for the light? There is a divided camp in these parts as to which is the right way to go. 

I'm thinking of getting an early start on the giant pumpkin project.  One of the plans this year is to start one out in a medium sized cardboard box and cut the bottom out when I move it to the garden to avoid shocking the root system too much. Should allow me to let the plant get good growth before I turn it loose.

#25 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 817 Thanks
  • 371 posts

Posted April 19, 2018 - 11:38 AM

HI Lorna, it's funny you mention that as my wife and I were discussing just last night.  I've never done it, always was scared to.  Do you/have you done it?  I was thinking of doing half and seeing...but they are all so precious I would hate to set them back.  Looking for recommendations!!!

Please please keep us abreast of the giant pumpkin project!!  What seeds did you get?  Atlantic Giant? 

I have a funny story of our one and only attempt a prize winner at the Port Elgin fair and Giant Pumpkin contest in the mid 90's I could tell...