#1 ShotgunWedding OFFLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 945 Thanks
  • 420 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 11:48 AM

It has begun...at least slowly.  I realize this is very early, but I make notes every year to plant some slow germinating/growing herbs early every year and never do.  This year, I got the jump on things.

Planted 2 parsley, 1 rosemary, 1 marjoram and 1 basil.  Neither the marjoram or basil are slow...its just nice to have some early ones for eating before May.

The rest of the stuff, tomatoes, peppers etc etc wont be going under the heat and grow lights for another few weeks, probably the weekend of March 24.  Anybody else have some early starts?

Attached Thumbnails

• herbs 2018.jpg

• Alc, oldedeeres, FrozenInTime and 2 others have said thanks

#2 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,790 Thanks
  • 1,696 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 12:34 PM

its almost time to plant sweet corn here if it stops rain and dries out some. 

• oldedeeres and ShotgunWedding have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,659 Thanks
  • 5,167 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 12:50 PM

Nice to see the Vesey's seed packets.  Like you I have started a few herbs just because I have "farmer's fever" so bad at this time of year.  Planted the seeds in the cups of a cardboard egg carton and covered it with a clear plastic bakery product lid....instant mini green house!   I don't start the rest of the seeds until well into April, and generally that's even too early unless we have an early spring.

• Alc and ShotgunWedding have said thanks

#4 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 1,369 Thanks
  • 981 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 01:26 PM

I haven't started seeds early for some time now as the dogs took over the window. I used to start a large I talian tomato that my mother used to plant every year. She used to get at least one that weighed 2#.

Edited by SimplyRad, February 25, 2018 - 01:26 PM.

• Alc, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,349 Thanks
  • 7,634 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 01:41 PM

I started some lettuce seeds yesterday , I just need to decide where to put them , right now  they are in my basement workshop , about 60*f and no light on them . 

• oldedeeres and ShotgunWedding have said thanks

#6 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,219 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 04:22 PM

Earlier today I started some pepper seeds.  They're going to be cool until next weekend then I'll put them where it is warm.

Started WAY too late last year and only got 1 pepper.

• Alc, oldedeeres and ShotgunWedding have said thanks

#7 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 2,286 Thanks
  • 1,453 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 05:19 PM

This is my first year for this. I have started several hundred in 3 or 4 different batches starting back in November. It all started in the fall when I wanted to try to winter a few pepper plants in the basement. That turned into making a 4x6 greenhouse to try keep the temps alittle higher than what the basement usually runs. The november started seeds were a test run to see if the LED grow lights would work. Turns out the 45w lights were only good enough to keep them alive. I moved the new plants up to the top shelf to get natural light during the day. That helped but they were still slow growing, so I bought some 300W LED units and that made a big difference. Now I have 20 tomatoes that are getting crowded on the floor that need to be moved out, another 20 that need to be repotted, and about 50 pepper plants that appear to be dead or stunted from the poor lighting. About a week ago I started 50 celebrity tomatoes, 18 pepperoncini, 18 habanero  and 18 cayenne peppers. Looks like I got about a 70% germination rate on those. A few days ago I changed to a different  potting soil and started 18 super sauce, 18 giant pink belguim tomatoes, 18 tomatillos, 18 anaheim 18 bull nose bells and 18 serrano peppers. This last batch will be 60 day plants by planting time and should start producing alittle quicker than the store bought plants. I plan to start a dozen sweet corn seed in a few weeks to see how that goes. If it works out, I should have some corn ready by the middle of may.

• Alc, oldedeeres and ShotgunWedding have said thanks

#8 Mustard Tiger OFFLINE  

Mustard Tiger
  • Member No: 84537
  • 157 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 06:13 PM

I've got all my starter trays filled and ready, just waiting for my seeds to arrive. Getting impatient, but it feels good to be doing something garden related at least.

tater, what color and brightness were your 45W bulbs? Even 4 foot long florescents are only 32W and they work great. LEDs should be lower wattage for the same brightness. How close did you have them to the plants?

#9 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 2,286 Thanks
  • 1,453 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 06:24 PM

this is what I started with... https://www.amazon.c...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had the light  at 4 to 6" . that only hit about 50% scale on the light meter.

Edited by tater195, February 25, 2018 - 06:25 PM.

• Alc and Jazz have said thanks

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 11,767 Thanks
  • 7,278 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 08:30 PM

Buy all our plants started by the Amish.  Get good quality and reasonable prices and don't have to mess with grow lights and all that stuff.  Long time till garden work starts in this neck of the woods.  Have a tractor to finish up first and Turkey season for 5 weeks or more.  Then might think about garden.  Long as I can still navagate the timber going to get my hunting time in.  Can do the easy sit around stuff when I get old and stoved up. :smilewink:

• lrhredjb and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 10,659 Thanks
  • 5,167 posts

Posted February 26, 2018 - 04:21 AM

You and me both,     :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:!!

#12 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,704 Thanks
  • 1,564 posts

Posted March 08, 2018 - 03:46 PM

I will bring the matter of seeding up with our chief cook and bottle washer. Sounds like a good plan to at least get the herbs started.

#13 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,219 Thanks
  • 1,129 posts

Posted March 08, 2018 - 06:38 PM

The pepper seeds I started 2/25 started to poke their heads up this morning.

#14 billy bee OFFLINE  

billy bee
  • Member No: 87693
  • 17 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted March 13, 2018 - 08:18 AM

The pepper seeds I started 2/25 started to poke their heads up this morning.

I have never started peppers before, heard they were hard to start. Would like to try this year, I grow jalapenos and green bell pepper. Is it too late to start from seed?  I live in Mi. also and usually don't set out pepper plants until May 20-30. I am really gettin' the bug to go play in the dirt. If I can start anything now it will make my day. I would like to start some cool weather crops like broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, onions etc. Might be able to get away with that. I GOTTA PLANT SOMETHIN'.

Thanks,

Bill

#15 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 2,286 Thanks
  • 1,453 posts

Posted March 13, 2018 - 09:23 AM

The rule of thumb for planting peppers from seed is 6 to 8 weeks before the last frost. A few weeks early wont hurt anything. My last batch of peppers are looking better after upgrading the grow lights and are ready to be repotted. I still have 3 or 4 weeks before i can move them outside.