• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 onetonford OFFLINE  

onetonford
  • Member No: 87428
  • 51 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 12:54 AM

Got a struck MT3000 crawler awhile back tore it down to the bare frame and rebuilt repaired what needed to be done to it and as I reassysembled it got a fresh coat of Cat yellow paint it has been fun putting it back together and running It pushes dirt very well for it's size. I have made a new blade mount for it to make it tilt foward and back. I am now in the process of building a backhoe for it. The first pic is how it looked when I first got it. The second was the first day I got it all back together and running. The third picture was after I changed the blade mount with the tilt which works alot better than the original did it makes pushing dirt and keeping it level alot easier. I did rebuild the 18hp briggs with ten over pistons and it is running great I still need a fuel tank as the original is more of a sprinkler than holding tank for now I have a plastic one from a MTD on it but doesn't last long about 1/2 hour. Been searching ebay and craigslist but the only ones I find are either just as bad as mine or the new ones are just more than I think they are worth. Have considered building one from SS plate I have laying around and setting it on top of the track covers where I have seen others have put them. right now tho I am more into getting the Backhoe working and at present stuck at the swivel hydraulic cylinder set up just can't seem to get the range I want without making a whole new mount at the back and I really don't want to hang it further back as now the weight is already tipping it back and counter weights are going to be needed. Later on I will take care of that with a FEL that is going to be built after the hydraulics for the backhoe are compleated than that little machine will be complete for now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 00101_d4ee1i0GXNG_.jpg
  • 1st bath.JPG
  • pushing dirt.JPG

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Alc and 16 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,525 Thanks
  • 47,427 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 05:53 AM

:wave:  Welcome to the forum! Those are cool little machines!

• boyscout862, chieffan and RustyB have said thanks

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,357 Thanks
  • 7,639 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 06:10 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !   The little  track machine are pretty neat  :thumbs:  Have you looked at those backhoe plans for GTs to see if anyone of those had the swing design your after ? I think the ones that use a chain can swing a bigger arc .( might be on full size hoes ) Good Luck 

• boyscout862, chieffan and RustyB have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,693 Thanks
  • 9,476 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 06:52 AM

Welcome to GTT. Nice work! I think that I saw a manual for one of those in our Manuals Section(3 free downloads per day). Good Luck, Rick
  • chieffan and RustyB have said thanks

#5 RustyB ONLINE  

RustyB
  • Member No: 82061
  • 190 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 07:47 AM

Looks great! You did a nice job on it. That'll be a nice machine to have around and play with.

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,482 Thanks
  • 4,736 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 08:47 AM

:welcometogttalk: 

I like it!

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,336 Thanks
  • 10,295 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 09:18 AM

Glad your here. Grab a chair and stay awhile.

#8 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 655 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 09:36 PM

Little crawlers are fun.  I have an old Struck MD which I restored years ago.  Don't do any work with it, just for show.  B & S engine in it is tired & I just picked up an electric start Robin to put in it.

Skip

• KennyP said thank you

#9 onetonford OFFLINE  

onetonford
  • 51 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 10:18 PM

I'm building the backhoe from plans I got for a towable backhoe the way they do it it has all 16" stroke cylinders. The issue is a 16 is around 26 inches pin to pin. that would put it under the tractor but that area is too close to the ground. I'm thinking when I build the frame for the stabs I could mount a ten inch stroke cylinder to those and make a shorter arm on the swivel only problem is how because of the way the swivel is made the chain Idea is possible I guess I got some extra 50 pitch that I bought for the drive chains. would just need to figure the math on it for size of cylinder and draw bar on the swivel. since that part would have the lowest torque compared to the arms and dipper it could be doable. So it goes back to the drawing board for now I have another problem to deal with now on my home (some punk kid shot a steel ball and broke a side window to the front door) and my wife wants the kitchen painted so everything else is on the back burners for now. Including my MGW stillson tractor I'm refurbing. That's the olny problem with retiring she keeps giving me Honey dues like roofing ac fooring the house main floor and non stop painting.

• Alc, KennyP and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#10 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 928 Thanks
  • 388 posts

Posted March 01, 2018 - 09:02 PM

Looks good. Nice job.

#11 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,249 Thanks
  • 1,585 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 01:23 AM

Looks like a very fun little machine. would a hydraulic motor work work for the swing on the hoe. Higher cost than a cylinder but effective.  Don

#12 onetonford OFFLINE  

onetonford
  • 51 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 03:08 PM

I have several Hydraulic motors but none with gearing which would be doable but without the gearing it would be hard to keep in position.

• secondtry said thank you

#13 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • 2,249 Thanks
  • 1,585 posts

Posted March 02, 2018 - 03:19 PM

There again #80 roller chain and sprockets, available at most farm and ranch stores. Not free but reasonable.   Don

#14 onetonford OFFLINE  

onetonford
  • 51 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted April 06, 2018 - 10:04 PM

O.K. here is what I got started so far on the backhoe and until it stops raining it sitting in the shop. I know that now I will have to build a FEL for it as now it is front light and pulls the most amazing wheelies. Scared the bejibbers out of me when I drove it back into the shop good thing the frame hits bottom before it could roll backwards.....

The last two pics are of my helper he's not much for welding but he great with keeping the mice out.

Attached Thumbnails

• backhoe 1.JPG
  • backhoe 2.JPG
  • backhoe helper 1.JPG
  • backhoe helper 2.JPG

Edited by onetonford, April 06, 2018 - 10:20 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#15 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • 2,249 Thanks
  • 1,585 posts

Posted April 06, 2018 - 11:34 PM

Looks like one for cat. Don

• Mark 149 J. said thank you