34 replies to this topic

#16 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,693 Thanks
  • 9,476 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 05:55 AM

Don't give up yet. Some of the worst snow storms have been in March after a warm spell. The Blizzard of 1888 was in March and it was a killer. The worst flood in CT was March 1936. It had been cold with a foot of snow on the ground. A warm heavy rain came in and blew out most of the small mill dams and alot of bridges. We aren't safeyet. Good Luck, Rick

#17 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,357 Thanks
  • 7,639 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 06:02 AM

I hope you didn't jinx us LOL .   I'm a little north of you and only used the tractor once to plow and even that time didn't do the gravel driveway, the other times it wasn't much to use  shovel !

• boyscout862 said thank you

#18 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,922 Thanks
  • 5,453 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 07:10 AM

Kind of a flop as far as winter goes around here. We sure had quite a few days where the roads were nasty on the way to work. I will likely let the snow plow on until the day I start working in the garden.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#19 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,713 Thanks
  • 1,568 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 08:24 AM

We've got over 12" of fresh stuff from Friday to this morning. Bring your blower over here.

Same here and woke up to another foot of snow this am and its still coming down.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#20 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,916 Thanks
  • 3,537 posts

Posted February 27, 2018 - 09:32 PM

I had been looking for a snowblower to fit an Ariens/NH for 3 or 4 years that was in decent shape, not $350+, and not 300+ miles away... finally got it around last Turkey day and had to rebuild/restore it.... put more money into it than I was wanting to, JUST got it finished around MLK day, (would not have needed it before then anyway the way this winter went)  and have used it on 3 or 4 pretty good storms between then and mid Feb,

now dealing with flooding rains and sandbags (at work),

blower (or plow for that matter) haven't been touched in a couple of weeks, but I'm glad I had BOTH of them here for about a month....  I have GOT TO get my driveway blacktopped, before next winter!!!!  blower worked great, better on my neighbors' driveways that weren't made of gravel.... 

sure makes quick work of clearing the drive... beats the walk behind blower, by almost 2x the width and about 2-1/2 X the HP....working a job that I can get called in to freeze my azz off working on a frozen diesel outside, and my wife wouldn't have been able to shovel all of that...add to that our only kid just moved out and bought his own house.... I have to make the best of the time that I do get to clear the snow..... 

and Rick... I'm with you 110%.... I don't know if Mother nature will cooperate but I am way past ready to get the yard overseeded and start mowing...... 

#21 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,616 Thanks
  • 1,639 posts

Posted February 27, 2018 - 10:29 PM

Don't give up yet. Some of the worst snow storms have been in March after a warm spell. The Blizzard of 1888 was in March and it was a killer. The worst flood in CT was March 1936. It had been cold with a foot of snow on the ground. A warm heavy rain came in and blew out most of the small mill dams and alot of bridges. We aren't safeyet. Good Luck, Rick

Last year we had 18" the 3rd week of march when they called for 4 to 5"  I'm not calling winter over yet as I could see a day here or there were something may need done. The long term forecast for us though like has been said is showing the trend to continue the way it is going.  I checked 3 times in the past week and it has stayed the same forecast.  One day here till the end of March with a day time high in the 30's and that was only a forecasted 39.  The trend showing is 40's or above during the daytime with lows that are not going to be cold enough to freeze the ground overnights to a point that snow will stick.  IF and thats a BIG IF that holds true I don't see much more plowing to be done this year.  I am genuinely hoping that holds out because plowing roads with thawed out ground is a nightmare!  One wrong move and I might meet an angry resident who's berm got bladed into their yard.

#22 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 4,520 posts

Posted March 04, 2018 - 07:42 PM

Well a lot more dust on my snow blower and throwers. No snow at all. And most of the little bit of snow we did get, in the yard, is gone. And no snow in the long range forecast. But St Patrick’s day is not here yet. About one inch or less of snow coming Tuesday, then changing to rain late Tuesday into Wednesday.

Noel
  • Alc and 29 Chev have said thanks

#23 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 744 Thanks
  • 584 posts

Posted March 05, 2018 - 09:53 AM

"But St Patrick’s day is not here yet."

Noel

When you are out blowing snow on St. Paddy's day wearing a leprechaun hat and holding a green beer...we'll want some pics of that.  You do know that, right?!  =)

• KennyP, propane1 and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#24 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,336 Thanks
  • 10,295 posts

Posted March 05, 2018 - 10:23 AM

Well a lot more dust on my snow blower and throwers. No snow at all. . . . .

Noel

You don't have ground hogs up there, do you?

• propane1 said thank you

#25 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,339 Thanks
  • 5,820 posts

Posted March 05, 2018 - 12:00 PM

My blower hasn't been on a tractor since I built my snow plow in Early 2012, just takes up room in back of garage.

It's a pain to use on gravel too, I always get a rock up inside gears and it throws a chain.

• propane1 said thank you

#26 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,916 Thanks
  • 3,537 posts

Posted March 05, 2018 - 01:29 PM

Yup mine is collecting dust too, maybe more so since I see that one of my brand new seals is leaking that gold dust-laced red Ariens gear lube making the dust stick better

#27 Cjet69 OFFLINE  

Cjet69
  • Member No: 68442
  • 727 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted March 05, 2018 - 09:45 PM

My blower hasn't moved from this position in the barn all year.

100_8804 (Medium).JPG

#28 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 107 Thanks
  • 185 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 04:24 AM

6-12” today...joke is on me. Think I can mow my driveway?
  • KennyP said thank you

#29 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,922 Thanks
  • 5,453 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 04:44 AM

6-12” today...joke is on me. Think I can mow my driveway?

Please take video of it if you try it. So I can laugh for you.
  • KennyP said thank you

#30 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 107 Thanks
  • 185 posts

Posted March 07, 2018 - 12:17 PM

So far a good 6” with probably that much more on the way. However, blacktop is still mostly black so no harm, no foul.
  • KennyP said thank you