4 replies to this topic

#1 hddlh OFFLINE  

hddlh

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8018
  • 46 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted February 24, 2018 - 10:44 AM

Does the model JS have the same type lever operated clutch like other models? Looked at one in pieces and looked like some parts were missing. Thanks

#2 GardnMastr ONLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 416 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted February 24, 2018 - 12:37 PM

The action is the same. The brand could be different. Most have a friction disk driven from the outer diameter. The metal plates are driven from the inner diameter. The lever supplies the squeeze pressure. There is a cam and roller that locks it in so you don’t have to maintain hand pressure. There usually is a threaded adjustment ring for wear. Carlyle Johnson made some. Dodge clutch made some. So do you own a JS? Please reply with a picture, model, and serial number, off both the B & S 23 engine and the frame. I think we can answer your questions. The frame serial number usually begins with 22___. Thanks.
  • hddlh said thank you

#3 hddlh OFFLINE  

hddlh

• Contributor
  • 46 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted February 24, 2018 - 02:06 PM

No I don’t own, was looking to purchase. S/N was 22153. Apparently it’s missing clutch pieces. Owner wanted 400 for it. It’s been outside for a while and trans doesn’t turn, think it has frozen water inside. Also missing engine shroud, inside of rear rims rusted, tires not so good. For what it is I don’t think it’s worth more than couple hundred dollars. Thanks for answering my question

#4 GardnMastr ONLINE  

GardnMastr
  • Member No: 85758
  • 416 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted February 24, 2018 - 06:51 PM

Did it have a B & S, a few had a Clinton engine? How was the hood and grill? If you decide against buying, you might list it here. There are some looking for a Gard’n Mast’r tractor, thanks.

#5 hddlh OFFLINE  

hddlh

• Contributor
  • 46 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted February 24, 2018 - 08:01 PM

Had b&s engine, hood grill pretty good. If doesn’t sell I’ll forward info
  • oldiron1 said thank you