• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 119 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 06:12 PM

as the title says, im searching for a brake pedal rod for my 74 pk. i need the one that attaches to the pedal itself and has  the spring on it. my rod/clevis is so rusted i dont think i can remove the clevis without damaging the threads.  anyone have one they want to sell?

#2 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,357 Thanks
  • 7,638 posts

Posted February 24, 2018 - 06:12 AM

Have you been soaking the clevis with anything ? If I remember they have 1/2"-13 USS course threads so I would think that even heat would get them loose if needed . I have an old 1612 short hood frame with the brake rods on , not sure it they are the same as yours if you end up needing them .

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,704 Thanks
  • 1,605 posts

Posted February 24, 2018 - 05:15 PM

Hi remove the rod assy put it in a vice heat the rod end chreey red with an oxyacetylene torch and turn the rod end off with a wrench if it want to stop turning after some turns reheat it it will come off then all that's needed is to clean the threads aand reinstall the rod

#4 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 119 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted February 24, 2018 - 09:11 PM

yeah theres nothing left of the clevis to remove. its pretty much see though with all that rust. its also fused to the rod, can partially see threads where the clevis is supposed to be. im almost 100% certain if i take a torch to it, it will wipe the threads out no problem. 

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,500 Thanks
  • 47,416 posts

Posted February 25, 2018 - 06:45 AM

If the clevis is shot, take an angle grinder and cut off wheel to it. Cut almost through to the threads. flip it over and do the other side. If you have heat, apply some, than use a chisel in the cut to split it apart. Run a die over the threads and put a new clevis on.