#16 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,568 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 03:46 PM

According to Brian Miller, some needle valves have two holes at the point and they don't have an idle problem. Other ones only have one hole and he says to drill that one hole out with a #60 drill bit.

That is a small drill bit!  You could probably get the same results by twisting a small push pin through the softer brass.  I'll leave mine the way it is for now.

#17 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,950 Thanks
  • 2,856 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 05:09 PM

I am getting ready to rebuild both carbs on my 2 Kohler's in the next month, this will be very handy. Thanks.

• Mark 149 J. and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 39,150 Thanks
  • 46,321 posts

Posted February 24, 2018 - 07:14 AM

This has some great info, Mark. If I pin it here, a lot of folks won't find it as they won't look in the Cub forum. And you didn't tag it for carb rebuild (sent a PM to olcowhand to see if he can add that). There is the option to make an article of the info or add this info to the Tech Wiki. Not sure yet.

• TomLGT195, Copperhead300 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#19 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,568 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted February 24, 2018 - 11:55 AM

Here are a couple more items to check while rebuilding the carb.  I will edit the first post with this information when I'm done.

First, before you do anything check to see if the throttle shaft is worn out.  The shaft will move a lot from top to bottom but the side to side movement is key.  Simply move the shaft side to side and see how much movement there is.  It will move a small amount but if it can rattle around in the bore then it will need bushing installed or replace the carb.  The Kohler service manual has very detailed instruction on how to drill out and install bushings.   A worn out throttle shaft will make the engine run lean and make it very difficult for it to run smooth at idle.

If all is good with the throttle shaft, I like to leave the choke and throttle shafts in the carb body.  It reduces the risk of having one of the small screws that hold the butterflies in from vibrating out while its running.  These tiny screws can cause damage to the engine if they get sucked into the combustion chamber.

On the end of the carb that bolts to the engine, you will find a very small opening in the bore of the carb.  This is part of the idle circuit. 

20180224_081232.jpg 20180224_081226.jpg

This opening will get plugged with sand.  I like to take a small gauge multi-strand wire and insert it into the opening to make sure it not obstructed.

20180224_081625.jpg 20180224_081759.jpg

Here you can see the idle screw and small opening are directly in line with other.

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 341, 301, 321, kohler, k series