• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GeeWhiz_71 OFFLINE  

GeeWhiz_71
  • Member No: 89546
  • 10 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 22, 2018 - 01:18 PM

Hello everyone! I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times before, but I wasn't able to find any discussions on my search of the forum.

I want some (affordable) lug type ag tires for my DB Super 575. It has 5" x 15" rims. Most affordable ones are for 16" wheels or the 15's I have found are for narrower wheels. I have found some Goodyear or Firestone for almost $200 each. I am not looking for restoration quality tires. I am gonna use mine. That would be more money than I paid for my DB with 5 attachments. Anyone been down this road already and found a good source for affordable tires? Any information anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

#2 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,808 Thanks
  • 815 posts

Posted February 22, 2018 - 03:06 PM

I have not found any good cheap sources for DBs or any other , They just don't give those away . I know of many projects that are just not worth the time to restore mainly because by the time you put tires on them they are worth less than the rubber you put on it.

If you want to use it , you have to invest the $

Edited by MGP59DB, February 22, 2018 - 03:07 PM.

• Gtractor, boyscout862 and GeeWhiz_71 have said thanks

#3 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,602 Thanks
  • 889 posts

Posted February 22, 2018 - 05:10 PM

Unless you are married to ag type tires, put some cheap mud grips on it and a set of chains. You should be able to find some decent used truck tires somewhere for little to nothing. It's not like you are running 70 mph down the highway with them.

The other option is to keep an eye out for another DB with tires that you like and buy it. That's how I got some pretty nice ags for mine. Swap out the wheels and tires and then resell the tire donating DB.

I like the looks of the ag tires, but I think chains perform much better.
  • Alc, boyscout862 and GeeWhiz_71 have said thanks

#4 GeeWhiz_71 OFFLINE  

GeeWhiz_71
  • 10 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 10:43 AM

Thank you both for the reply. 

JB I had pretty much decided to do what you are suggesting. I had one of my existing tires broken down so I could accurately measure the rim width. After an exhausting search online for affordable tires, I was just going to have that tire and a new tube remounted and filled with water, then buy some cheap chains and add them on there. I wasn't sure how good those would work, but after hearing your opinion of those performing better than ag tires I feel better about that decision.

#5 GeeWhiz_71 OFFLINE  

GeeWhiz_71
  • 10 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 10:49 AM

Also JB, your idea of buying another unit just to get some tires has definitely crossed my mind, but these DB's are hard to come by around my parts. Very rarely are any posted for sale withing 4 hours of here and when they are they are asking way too much money for units in poor shape with maybe 1 or 2 attachments at most. When I browse these forums and see the availability of DB's in the upper midwest region makes me wish I was closer to that area, at least for a week or so, to load up on stuff.

#6 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,602 Thanks
  • 889 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 05:07 PM

I know how you feel about liking things that aren't popular in your area. I have a Case that is almost impossible to find attachments for around here.