Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Vote For Feature Tractor March 2018

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Feature Tractor March 2018 (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Which tractor should be featured?

1. MW PlowTrac by B10Dave (7 votes [17.07%])

Percentage of vote: 17.07%

2. 1955 Gravel Model L by James Bosma (1 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

3. 1934 Sears Handiman by Rustysteele (6 votes [14.63%])

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

4. David Bradley 917.575112 by 1RUSTYNUT (1 votes [2.44%])

5. 1940 Standard Twin by 1940Twin (21 votes [51.22%])

Percentage of vote: 51.22%

6. Simplicity H by twowheeler63 (1 votes [2.44%])

7. Wiseacre Tractor by GTpicker01 (4 votes [9.76%])

Percentage of vote: 9.76%

#1 DougT ONLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,994 Thanks
  • 5,020 posts

Posted February 01, 2018 - 02:52 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of March has now officially started and will end the last day of Febuary. This month's theme is walk behinds.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of March and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 7 nominations this month. Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below. Let the Voting Begin!

• Rustysteele and jimmy G have said thanks

#2 B10Dave OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1808
  • 788 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted February 06, 2018 - 07:53 PM

Well; this contest is certainly off to a slow start. I will enter my MW PlowTrac walk behind. It has been repowered with a 5hp newer Briggs but the rest is all original. I originally purchased the roller and cart from a friend in western NY and picked them up at the Steam Show in Canandaigua. After some thought I decided that the roller and cart should remain with the tractor they came with so I contacted John and made a deal for the tractor and reel mower. After a 280 mile round trip the collection was reunited.

The Plow Trac is as far as I know the equivalent to the Simplicity FC without the hood. It came with a 4hp engine and 3 spds forward and reverse. There is also a planetary set on the axle to double the number of gears. This tractor is one of 4 Simplicity built walk behinds I own....Dave

• olcowhand, DougT, Gtractor and 15 others have said thanks

#3 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1,386 Thanks
  • 687 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 06:57 PM

I will nominate my 1955 Gravel Model L walk behind

This walk behind with the 30 inch rotary mower is a beast.

The motor is a Gravel 6.6 H.P. T block with Fairbanks-Morse mag.

I have two different blades for the rotary mower, one is 1/2 inch thick and the other is 7/16 inch thick

The 1/4 inch thick blade is for finish mowing and the heavier is for brush and tall grass cutting.

I have only used this set up with the thicker blade and it does a marvelous job on clearing land that has overgrown in weeds and saplings.

I hit one of those small disposable propane tanks and the mower never missed a beat.

The propane tank was almost in two pieces afterwards.

When I got this tractor the sides of the mower deck were rusted out and the tires were rotten.

Found a cheap set of 8 inch lug tires and fabricated new skis and sides on the deck.

Engine is equipped with optional chain drive electric start.

I also have the 24 inch square shoot snowblower 

Edited by James Bosma, February 07, 2018 - 06:58 PM.

• olcowhand, DougT, Gtractor and 14 others have said thanks

#4 Rustysteele OFFLINE  

• Member No: 72710
  • 299 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted February 08, 2018 - 09:22 AM

I`ve been away from here for a while, and here I find that walk-behinds are this month`s category, my specialty! I`m entering a 1934 Sears Handiman with a Briggs Model K on it. My grandfather bought it new from the Sears store in Manchester, CT in 1936, with it`s single speed and single lever for controlling the drive and steering, it probably wasn`t the most popular model, Sears was probably happy to see it go! Back about 2 years ago, after my father died, my evil stepmother called in the scrapper to empty the farm out. I didn`t learn this until over a year later, and had given up this tractor as lost, until last year at the Zagray show in Colchester, CT where I saw it sitting behind their engine building! I tracked the owner of it down and was able to make a swap for it, so it`s back in the family.

It turns out that the scrapper couldn`t bring himself to destroy it, so he kept it off to the side until the last owner spotted and bought it. It`s a good running tractor, although I do need to bush the worn throttle in the carb. My father always said that there was another set of drive sprockets for the two chains that drive the axles, these sprockets were supposed to be a different size so you could either speed up or slow down the tractor, but I was never able to find them, so I`m not really sure that they exist. This tractor doesn`t seem to show a lot of wear, I guess my grandfather only used it for the smaller gardens, he had a Fordson to do the main work. In 1939 he started an excavating business, and gradually got out of farming.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5541.JPG
  • DSCN5539.JPG
  • DSCN5546.JPG
  • DSCN5547.JPG

Edited by Rustysteele, February 08, 2018 - 09:26 AM.

• olcowhand, DougT, Gtractor and 15 others have said thanks

• Member No: 83716
  • 108 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 09:19 PM

It appears no one else is going to enter one  so I will enter my David Bradley. After all how could you have a 2 wheel contest with out at least one off these in the mix.

I spotted this out while I was out working sitting under the guy's barn. One thing lead to another and come the weekend I picked up and took it home. It is a 917.575112. If any of you guy's would happen to know the year range please let me know. It had a Wisconsin ACN . Some one had stripped the spark plug threads  in the head and installed an insert that was loose and leaking. With a little tinkering I was able to get it to run enough that I felt like engine was usable. It came with the weed cutter, and a set of cultivators. They where all it need some attention and repair.   

With hunting season coming to the end I began working on the old girl.  Took a part stripped and painted serviced the engine. Reinstalled the insert in the head. I had to reinstall the governor in the engine as it was out of wack.  Then cleaned the cultivator frame and painted it. Currently working on the weed cutter now.

I tried the cultivator out this weekend and was very pleased with it.  

Attached Thumbnails

• db2  (10).jpg
  • db2  (21).jpg
  • db2  (22).jpg
  • 20180123_171641.jpg
  • 20180123_171648.jpg
  • 20180210_145921.jpg
  • 20180210_150059.jpg

• olcowhand, DougT, Gtractor and 16 others have said thanks

#6 1940Twin OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 64862
  • 131 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted February 12, 2018 - 01:08 PM

I'd like to give this a go again and nominate my 1940 Standard Twin. Here's the story behind how it became to be:

In the spring of 2002 a friend of mine who I had gotten into the hobby with me mentioned an upcoming equipment auction. It was an outdoor action and was substantial in size. I agreed to go and check it out. This was my first experience at an auction like this, let alone any. I remember arriving and being awe-struck over rows upon rows of various equipment and miscellaneous items up for action. We went up to the office and got our numbers. My friend was gracious enough to give me a quick "auctions for dummies" lesson and off we went to see what we could find. I worked my way up and down several rows and had found one or two items of interest, but not exactly what I was originally looking for.

For some reason earlier that morning I had thought it would be really cool to have a crank start garden tractor. I had always enjoyed when my parents would take me to the local antique car show when I was a child and there would be a few old cars with their crank handles prominently displayed out front. Then I saw the Standard Twin. It was sitting at the very end of a row. Most the paint had chipped and worn off the engine cowlings, and there was a mix of rust, dirt and grease covering the remainder of it with some faded blue and red paint here and there. I wasn't the nicest looking tractor, but it was by first sight at a Standard Twin and it sure was different. I grabbed a hold of the engine pulley and it spun free with plenty of compression. As I did so I noticed the recess in the front of the crank shaft, then the crank sitting in the holder above the transmission. A crank start?! Indeed it was, and I was completely sold on it. As history has it I ended up as the winning bidder.

After I had gotten the tractor home I was excited to get it running. The gas tank was for the most part clean inside and I had my fingers crossed that it was the same for the carburetor. I put some fresh gas in it and started cranking. At first it wouldn't light off. Then it started shooting a 6" flame straight out the exhaust, but still wouldn't start. By this time it was dark outside so I decided to quit for the evening and give it a try the next day. I thought quite a bit that evening what the issue could be. Timing maybe? Valves? I decided to take the valve covers off and have a look before I tried anything with the timing. I found that the exhaust valve for the number one cylinder was stuck partially open. I applied some oil to it and got it freed up. I then started cranking again. Before long I had it running, and I loved the sound of that in-line twin.

At this time I was a senior in high school and was required to complete a "senior project" as credit towards graduation. I recall the school explaining the requirements and giving examples of what could be done, none of which I was really interested in. I wanted to do something that represented who I was, and that I was passionate about. Then I had an idea, I could restore a tractor, but I needed to sell the idea. As most people on here know, there's more to restoring garden tractors than cleaning off dirt and rust and applying new paint. Such a task requires project management, budgeting, and in the case of my senior project, time management with a deadline. This is not to mention a little skill and patience. The school agreed that my tractor restoration project was acceptable. I had a few tractors other than the Standard Twin that were candidates for restoration, but I decided the Twin would be the best choice. It would be a challenge but wasn't too complex to where I couldn't complete it within the timeline that I had.

My goal for the Twin was to keep it as original as possible, down to every nut and bolt. Other than some cosmetic issues, the tractor was in otherwise good mechanical condition. The tractor had one main issue though, the wheels were not by any means to any data I had found through research to be original. It had what looked to be wheels off an old truck with custom hubs to fit the axles of the twin. This was going to have to change to keep it original, but I had no idea where I was going to get original wheels for a 60 year old garden tractor in the few months I had before it needed to be completed. As luck has it I was able to get in contact with someone who had a Standard Twin parts tractor for sale, including a set of original steel wheels. Everything else on the tractor was original as far as I could find, well...except for the spark plugs. This I had a solution for as well. While at a show during the summer prior I had come across a vendor selling tables full of antique spark plugs for $1.00 each. At that price I grabbed what I could, both what I knew I could use and some that may be useful in the future. Indeed I had purchased set that fit the Standard Twin, and were from the same era. I switched out the newer Champion plugs for the correct "old style" plugs after checking the gap was set correctly and to this day I think it runs better with them than any newer style plug. Next came the paint. I had found that Standard used a few different paint schemes over the years on these tractors. This one was dark blue with red. One of the valve covers had some paint that was well preserved from years of oil residue and dirt build-up. It cleaned up well and I was off to get some paint. I was able to find a red that matched closely, but the blue was more of a challenge. I had people tell me that certain paints were similar to the dark blue that Standard used, but for something that was going to decide if I would be graduating high school or not, I was in need of a better solution for the blue. That's where PPG came to the rescue. The guys at the local store were more than helpful. They took the valve cover and mixed a custom match for me, giving me tips on how to use their products. With paint in hand and all the parts cleaned up and media blasted as applicable, I got to painting. This was the first tractor I had used an HVLP spray gun on, and I wish I had gotten one sooner. It did an excellent job of applying the paint. I had noticed that the gas tank mounting bracket had a two tone paint theme two it, going from blue to red as it got up towards the tank, so I decided to mask it off and keep this original as well. With everything painted it was time for assembly, original steel wheels and all.

I was happy with how my "crank start" tractor had turned out, just in time for presentation as my senior project. I loaded it up and took it to school with me where a board of teachers awaited to judge it and my project management skills. After a full presentation on the project and everything that goes into restoring a garden tractor, everyone seemed impressed. It wasn't until I showed them the tractor in person and offered to start it that one of the teachers told me to wait as they wanted go get the Principal to see it run as well. Everyone was quite impressed as I cranked the tractor over and it came to life. I was given full credit for the project.

Years later now it has always been one of my favorite tractors to take out to shows and has been a good conversation starter with many fellow garden tractor collectors.

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• 1940_Twin_1.jpg
  • 1940_Twin_2.jpg
  • 1940_Twin_3.jpg

• olcowhand, DougT, Gtractor and 17 others have said thanks

#7 twowheeler63 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3509
  • 39 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted February 13, 2018 - 08:07 PM

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• Simplicity H (2).jpg
  • Simplicity H.jpg

• olcowhand, B10Dave, KennyP and 8 others have said thanks

#8 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 718 Thanks
  • 605 posts

Posted February 14, 2018 - 09:34 AM

I'd like to nominate my Wiseacre Tractor. These tractors were built in Jersey Shore Pa for a limited amount of time in 1948. According to info from a fellow GTTalk member Tbrooks who lives in Jersey Shore. The Wiseacre Tractor Company was incorporated in April 1948 and went bankrupt in November of 1948. Neither of us are sure about production numbers and when I reached out the Lycoming county historical society, no information could be found. 

This tractor was in sad shape when found. It was behind a shed with a tree growing up through it, and I wish I had taken a picture!! The original wheels and engine were not salvageable. Instead I had parts leftover from a bolens Power Ho and that is where the engine and wheels came from. The bolens wheels would not mount on the hubs of the wiseacre so holes were drilled in the solid part of the hub and tapped so that I could bolt the wheels to the hub. The blue color that I painted it is as close as I could find to the original blue. I would love to find an original clinton engine with a 6:1 reduction gear for it someday!

My uncle built a sulky for it so we could ride it around at shows, but don't drive it down a hill!

Wiseacre3.jpg  Wiseacre2.jpg  Wiseacre4.jpg  Wiseacre1.jpg

• olcowhand, DougT, B10Dave and 10 others have said thanks

#9 DougT ONLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,994 Thanks
  • 5,020 posts

Posted February 22, 2018 - 07:51 AM

Voting is now open for March's feature tractor. Good Luck to all contestants.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#10 DougT ONLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,994 Thanks
  • 5,020 posts

Posted February 28, 2018 - 10:16 PM

Get those votes in. Only a couple hours left for voting.

#11 DougT ONLINE  

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,994 Thanks
  • 5,020 posts

Posted March 01, 2018 - 05:02 AM

Congrats to 1940twin on the win and thanks to the others for participating.

• Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks