front axle bushing replacement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 72357
  • 119 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 02:55 PM

so im reconstructing my frame on the front of my 2414. iv got to get the pipe on the frame rewelded as it came apart in two pieces. question i have is when i put the pivot shaft into the axle side of things, there is a tiny bit of play between the needle bearings and pivot shaft. is that ok or should i just remove them and slam two new bushings in? next question is when i tighten the axle, the axle will be right up tight to the frame or what? also should there be a bushing on the frame side of of the pivot shaft?

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,222 Thanks
  • 9,288 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 05:35 PM

I don't know the answer but you may find the answer in the Manuals Section. The parts manual may show what you need. I have lived with a little play between needle bearings and their shaft but, it can call cause premature failure. Good Luck, Rick

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,652 Thanks
  • 7,941 posts

Posted February 21, 2018 - 08:58 PM

This is pivot in center?  Some years had a welded in pin. Solid in frame, welded inner side. Some years had a sort of seperate shaft with nuts on each end held with cotter pins, but inner one may still be tack welded to frame. The double nut kind also had a step or spacer or something in them that allowed spacing after the mount nut was drawn up and pinned.  The kind solid in frame, I have at times left nut some backed off after torqueing to get set, much like wheel bearings and put in the pin to hold. Yes, a washer between frame and axle is nice, have seen both ways, sometimes w/out. If you don't do this, an axle can sometimes rub on frame on cross-over diff places, specially if bent or worn over years. I've never used the needle bearings, just put in new bushings on mine. Heavy as all this is, I don't think one would have chance to wear them out in your ownership time, even if it still had a little play long as you keep greased up. One doesn't have to always do as manual says if your modification "improves" the original and just makes sense, ha! :smilewink:

• a.graham52 said thank you

#4 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 72357
  • 119 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted February 23, 2018 - 06:01 PM

thanks for the info. problem i had was the axle had been loose long enough, the tack welds broke on the nut and the leverage and wear in the frame caused spacer that was welded on the frame to break into two pieces. we repaired this by finding a huge nut that snugly fit the pivot shaft, welded the nut to the frame both on the bottom and the side and then welded the original nut to the new nut. i dont think it will ever come apart again. i left the bearings alone knowing how easy it is to get to them if need be in the future.