Value of 1979 2418 Power King tractor?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slarra OFFLINE  

• Member No: 3527
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 02:19 PM

I own a 1979 2418 Power King tractor, plus some implements, that I'm going to sale.  After Googling a bit, I (surprisingly) was unable to find comparable sales listings.  Can any forum members point me to a reference or website that might help a guy figure out what his old tractor is worth?  I'm not wanting to wring top-dollar, as the tractor needs some help (runs, but hard to start), plus the buyer will have to come pick it up in Boise.  But, I do what to know what is a fair price so I can discount from that as the starting point.  I also have a (somewhat novelty - ie. tiny!) Massey Ferguson 24S Deluxe riding mower (needs a LOT of help), so I'm trying to price it as well.  Thanks!

#2 Austen OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33768
  • 1,673 Thanks
  • 908 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 04:55 PM

Hi, welcome to GTT!

Can you post some pictures and state what the attachments are? Vintage garden tractors are harder to find on the west coast often commanding higher prices in return. Assuming it is in average condition, a very ballpark figure might be around ~$2k.

• slarra said thank you

#3 slarra OFFLINE  

• 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 09:54 PM

I'd say this 1979 Power King 2418 (sn 49775), which has the tandem transmission, is in fair condition.  When I bought it in 2005, it was missing the right brake cylinder, and still is.  It's condition started to decline a couple years ago, when I sold my place and could no longer keep it in a garage.  I had a more modern lawn tractor, so - as stuff started to break - I didn't fix or replace it.  Now it's time to hand this ol' tractor over to someone who can care for and appreciate it.  Otherwise, it'll become another rusty junker.

It ran great until a couple years ago, when I began having an increasingly hard time getting it started.  Last summer, I only fired it up once, and it seemed to run hot.  The hydraulics still work great tho.

The implements have sat outside since I've had this rig, so they are getting quite rusty.  I have a 48" belly mower deck (however, one of the spindles broke), grader blade, moldboard plow, cultivator/spring harrow, disc cultivator, tool bar with busters and discs, and a draw bar.

Lemme see if I can figure out how to post some pics.....

And here's that MF 24S Deluxe mower (poor condition, motor's kaput, but cute!): 

Any further input regarding the value of these items is appreciated.  I need to find them a new home, with someone who will appreciate them more than I can/do.  I have to get some $ out of them to avoid confirming my wife's suspicion that I'm a complete idiot, but I hope to make someone a good deal, especially since they'll have to come to Boise to fetch 'em.

#4 John44004 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 88145
  • 21 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted March 16, 2018 - 10:20 AM

Being it sounds like it has issues with the head, like alot of these did I'm interested at about 300-400.  John 440-994-9477

Edited by John44004, March 16, 2018 - 10:21 AM.

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,332 Thanks
  • 1,464 posts

Posted March 16, 2018 - 12:07 PM

Hi slarra, with the implements some good ones and the tractor needing work I'd say in the $1500.00 area

#6 slarra OFFLINE  

• 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 17, 2018 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback!  I my good sense (what little I have) tells me that the $300 offer here is almost certainly too good of a deal for the buyer, but I'm also not looking for top dollar or prolonging my wife's suffering.... I think a big factor is that someone has to come fetch it in Boise, plus it's not in fantastic condition (certainly not junk either, tho).  I'm probably gonna flop it out on Craigslist for $1100.  I'll post back here on the outcome, in case someone else is trying to price a similar Power King tractor.

• MNGB said thank you