24 replies to this topic

#16 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,337 Thanks
  • 5,818 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 08:01 AM

I picked one up last summer from a young kid who had no clue. He knew nothing about it, couldn't get it running so he decided to start tearing it apart for some reason and swap in a good ole Harbor Freight 212. I got him to stop after he pulled the head and bought it for $50, cylinder looks good, head is not beat up and it had a Overnight solutions ignition on it. I haven't done anything with it ye, but have plans for it. They get a bad wrap, but when you learn these old Tecs. they are really good motors.

I would like to find a couple more OH160's for a decent price.

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#17 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • Member No: 85766
  • 400 Thanks
  • 271 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 02:45 PM

I picked one up last summer from a young kid who had no clue. He knew nothing about it, couldn't get it running so he decided to start tearing it apart for some reason and swap in a good ole Harbor Freight 212. I got him to stop after he pulled the head and bought it for $50, cylinder looks good, head is not beat up and it had a Overnight solutions ignition on it. I haven't done anything with it ye, but have plans for it. They get a bad wrap, but when you learn these old Tecs. they are really good motors.
I would like to find a couple more OH160's for a decent price.

Not sure I know what that is "Overnight solutions ignition".

The guy that had the motor I got has this one too.
https://allentown.cr...6493667948.html

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 8,337 Thanks
  • 5,818 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 03:09 PM

I wouldn't mind having the OH180, those are the big block Tecumsehs.

It's the only available,  basically a plug and play, SSI style module on the market for those failed ones. All other replacements convert the ignition over to a battery-coil system

http://overnight-sol...les/Page391.htm

Edited by TAHOE, February 19, 2018 - 03:10 PM.

• 6mikey7 and 4getgto have said thanks

#19 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,901 Thanks
  • 3,523 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 10:03 PM

The guy that had the motor I got has this one too.
https://allentown.cr...6493667948.html

figures.... no starter ignition or carburetor. 

• TAHOE and 4getgto have said thanks

#20 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 3,017 Thanks
  • 1,356 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 08:40 AM

and then there are those that part out "good running" ones for no good reason.... 

There is a reason, the electronics can commission up to 200.00 and carb can get 100.00, the rest of the engine you can barley sell for scrap and its heavy and hard to ship.

I am pulling out a good hh120 and offered it as a complete running engine and so far all I got was people wanting to buy the carb and electronics. I have also offered a few free hh120's with no carb or electronics and no one is even willing to pay shipping. 

• ACmowerguy and 4getgto have said thanks

#21 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 3,017 Thanks
  • 1,356 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 08:44 AM

Great find, lots of these are going to the scrap yards simply from the lack of basic small engine knowledge

Good save

Actually I will be sending my hh120's to the scrap yard because of my knowledge. 

Carbs are over priced, electronics are over prices, no over sized piston kits available. 

#22 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 1,206 Thanks
  • 844 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 12:09 PM

I seen at least 3 Tecumseh cast iron engines, one looked like a hh, the others were oh, in a pile of scrap at the recycler, they looked complete,i didn't even ask to buy them.anymore that stuff just lays around if I buy it so I just left it.

#23 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • 400 Thanks
  • 271 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 02:18 PM

I seen at least 3 Tecumseh cast iron engines, one looked like a hh, the others were oh, in a pile of scrap at the recycler, they looked complete,i didn't even ask to buy them.anymore that stuff just lays around if I buy it so I just left it.

Yea if I didn't already have two of these in tractors it wouldn't have interest me either. Glad I got it though.

#24 4getgto ONLINE  

4getgto
  • 400 Thanks
  • 271 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 02:20 PM

There is a reason, the electronics can commission up to 200.00 and carb can get 100.00, the rest of the engine you can barley sell for scrap and its heavy and hard to ship.

I am pulling out a good hh120 and offered it as a complete running engine and so far all I got was people wanting to buy the carb and electronics. I have also offered a few free hh120's with no carb or electronics and no one is even willing to pay shipping.

You talk about it being heavy. Yea it is!!!
Gotta put it on a scale.

Edited by 4getgto, February 20, 2018 - 02:24 PM.

#25 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • 3,017 Thanks
  • 1,356 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 02:59 PM

You talk about it being heavy. Yea it is!!!
Gotta put it on a scale.

I tossed one on the scale before it was 125 lbs , I think that was with a starter generator, can't remember if I had it on or off. But that sure are heavy!

• 4getgto said thank you