7 replies to this topic

#1 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• Member No: 78623
  • 2,910 Thanks
  • 1,617 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 11:22 PM

I need to replace the spark plug wire on my Kohler K341.  Does it matter which type of wire that I use?  Will a automotive type wire, with there built in resistance, work on these engines?  Will it make the spark too weak?  They want so much money for one plug wire!  I have a partial set of Accel wires that I got at a yard sale and I'd like to use one of them on this motor.  Thanks

• Trav1s said thank you

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,914 Thanks
  • 3,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 11:26 PM

as long as it has the correct style of terminals (coil end like the old points-driven cars used to use)  go ahead and use one of those Accel wires..... if both terminal ends are like the spark plug end, then no it won't work with an original Kohler style coil. 

Might be able to cut the end off and buy the right style terminals at the parts store.... lots of those Accel style wires came as "cut to fit" and came with one end done at factory and a baggie full of terminals for the other end....... 

• Trav1s and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#3 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• Member No: 78623
  • 2,910 Thanks
  • 1,617 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 11:42 PM

as long as it has the correct style of terminals (coil end like the old points-driven cars used to use)  go ahead and use one of those Accel wires..... if both terminal ends are like the spark plug end, then no it won't work with an original Kohler style coil. 

Might be able to cut the end off and buy the right style terminals at the parts store.... lots of those Accel style wires came as "cut to fit" and came with one end done at factory and a baggie full of terminals for the other end....... 

I just tried one of the Accel wire on the coil and spark plug.  It's a tight fit for both ends but I think it will work.  They're 8mm high suppression wire, probably for a high output coil, and they're pre-finished on both ends.  The only problem is the length.  I could always cut it shorter.  The yellow color looks nice with the color of the motor.

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,914 Thanks
  • 3,533 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 11:52 PM

Dodges used the "old" style distributor cap ends all the way til the magnum engines came out in the early 90s,even though they were the 1st to make electronic ignition standard across the board, since 1972,  Ford and GM went to both "spark plug style" on both ends of their plug wires about '75ish when they followed with their respective electronic ignition systems..... so depending on what that Accel wireset was bought for, well who knows? 

Edited by dodge trucker, February 17, 2018 - 11:52 PM.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,849 Thanks
  • 8,036 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 12:37 AM

What about graphite or wire core? Would think old wire core be needed. Anything 8mm is probly graphite, may reduce spark charge if work st all?
  • boyscout862 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,914 Thanks
  • 3,533 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 11:19 AM

When I last needed a plug wire for a cast iron Kohler I asked the local NAPA guy if he might have one laying around from a broken set, I gave him the one off of another Kohler to match up with and he brought me one the next day no charge. IDK what core it is, but suppression core or resistance core wire should be fine. I mean they run them on cars in addition to resistor spark plugs and they do fine, a Kohler coil is essentially a car coil that only has to fire one plug instead of 6 or 8 plugs....

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 4,310 Thanks
  • 3,417 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 01:33 PM

I have a Taylor 8mm White custom length kit that I've been using for plug wires but they do burn out with a hotter coil like the Chrome plated 42,000 volt Accel superstock coil that was on the 127. I had to dig out an old solid core wire and put it on after It burnt up 2 Taylor wires. They work fine as long as you use a regular old Delco or Bosch coil. I've been using the 8mm Taylor wire on everything. 

I keep an old stranded plug wire handy for testing though because they will never fail to spark and a carbon core wire can burn out.

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,914 Thanks
  • 3,533 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 04:17 PM

I have a Taylor 8mm White custom length kit that I've been using for plug wires but they do burn out with a hotter coil like the Chrome plated 42,000 volt Accel superstock coil that was on the 127. I had to dig out an old solid core wire and put it on after It burnt up 2 Taylor wires. They work fine as long as you use a regular old Delco or Bosch coil. I've been using the 8mm Taylor wire on everything. 

I keep an old stranded plug wire handy for testing though because they will never fail to spark and a carbon core wire can burn out.

just because you have a "hotter" coil in place does NOT mean that it will produce that much energy.  All else equal it will not produce any more than a stock Kohler coil in good condition will.....  that stock coil has the "potential" to produce 30K volts maybe even 35K volts ever seen a car hooked up to a scope?  GM HEI was supposed to be a 60KV system, then later upgraded to an 80KV system (when they increased spark plug gaps to somewhere in the area of 0.060 or even 0.080) but with everything in good condition, it would not produce over 7 to 10KV as shown on the scope TV screen.... now foul a plug or burn a wire or throw some corrosion in the terminals between plug and wire or wire and cap, and then you will see them produce more voltage.... 

the meaning of all this is that it isn't the "super coil" causing the wires to burn out, any more than the same wire would burn out with a stock coil. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spark plug wire, kohler, k series