#1 Sammoore13bolens1053 ONLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053

Because I’m young doesn’t mean I’m stupid

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 89554
  • 187 Thanks
  • 280 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 05:04 PM

So, my bolens on what I believe is a 1050, but I need to adjust the clutch.
I’ve seen the diagram on how to do the adjustment, but it doesn’t really help, I got it just about so you can just push the clutch/brake pedal enough and put it into a gear.
Also I’d like to know is there a special way to Change the belts, mine only has one for the drive? Does this matter. Thanks

#2 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 10,416 Thanks
  • 3,376 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 06:30 PM

So, my bolens on what I believe is a 1050, but I need to adjust the clutch.
I’ve seen the diagram on how to do the adjustment, but it doesn’t really help, I got it just about so you can just push the clutch/brake pedal enough and put it into a gear.
Also I’d like to know is there a special way to Change the belts, mine only has one for the drive? Does this matter. Thanks

If you look at post # 122 in this thread - http://gardentractor...-project/page-9

the pictures I posted there may help you see what position the parts that make up the clutch are in when the clutch pedal is released or pushed down and also where the brake arm at the rear is in the two states.  The post is of the clutch on my 1053 which uses the same clutch set up.

If you check out this post by member Bolens1000 it should walk you through how to change the drive belts. http://gardentractor...garden-tractor/

Originally the 1050 should have had two drive belts but since yours has been repowered there may be alignment issues that won't allow two belts to be used.  My first 1050 only had one drive belt on it when I got it and I drove it like that the first year without any problems so unless you were trying to pull a very heavy load one drive belt should drive your tractor ok if the belt and pulleys are in good condition and the tensioner is working properly.

If you want to post some pictures of your clutch and engine set up we may be able to help you better since you say you are having problems with the adjustment.  I assume that you have downloaded a copy of the Bolens Tube Frame Service Manual which is in the manuals section on this site.  The manual is located here -  http://gardentractor...anual-552875-1/

​If you look at page 5-2 (76 of the Adobe Reader) in the manual it gives a detailed explanation of how to adjust the clutch.  The manual also contains a lot of other service information for your 1050 as well as other Tube Frame style tractors.

• boyscout862, logmillingman, dtsh and 1 other said thanks

#3 logmillingman ONLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 996 Thanks
  • 468 posts

Posted February 17, 2018 - 07:44 PM

:welcometogttalk:  Its great to see someone from Northern Ireland, good luck with your repair you already have 29 Chev helping you, he is a great guy with a lot of experience on the Bolens 1050!

#4 Sammoore13bolens1053 ONLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053

• GTt Junior
  • 187 Thanks
  • 280 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 05:16 AM

Ok thanks again guys I’ll try to get as many pics tomorrow, can’t get one on the huffy or the jd, Buttl get you ones of the cart and the bolens.
  • logmillingman said thank you

#5 Sammoore13bolens1053 ONLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053

• GTt Junior
  • 187 Thanks
  • 280 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 09:36 AM

Ok, so thanks, also what is end play is it a big job to do? And my clutch/brake pedal has a lot of “play” and also have to with my foot pull the clutch back, it doesn’t come towards me automatically, I have to pull it towards me kind off. And it screeches when I push the pedal in any thoughts? Thanks again

#6 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • Member No: 86754
  • 115 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted February 18, 2018 - 10:25 AM

Almost sounds to me from your description that either the clutch lining is worn out or that the area on the driveshaft that the clutch assy slides on is rusted or gummed up.  I would pull the driveshaft assy out and disassemble the clutch assy to inspect.  Clean all the driveshaft splines that the throw-out bearing rides on as well as the spline area on the throw-out bearing as well.  If the clutch plate is worn it will need a new plate glued to the pulley, if it is still ok clean all surfaces and reinstall.  I use some anti-sieze lightly on the driveshaft splines to keep it moving freely.  At that point you can go through the pedal adjustment process and get the pedal set up right.  The service manual explains this process pretty well.  Good luck and don't be afraid to try.  Once you look at everything torn apart it is really a simple process.

#7 Sammoore13bolens1053 ONLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053

• GTt Junior
  • 187 Thanks
  • 280 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 09:33 AM

29 chev, my pedal has a lot of “play”, anyway of removing this play. I tried adjusting the clutch and now it feels very slack, really don’t have a clue on what to do now?

#8 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,416 Thanks
  • 3,376 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 10:21 AM

29 chev, my pedal has a lot of “play”, anyway of removing this play. I tried adjusting the clutch and now it feels very slack, really don’t have a clue on what to do now?

Thanks for posting the pictures - looks like your tractor is very similar to my 1053 that I did the thread on.

If there is "a lot of play" (as you describe it) there is a very good chance that parts of the clutch linkage are worn - given that the tractor you have was probably produced around 1971 this is not surprising.  I would check for movement in each pivot point of the clutch linkage, clutch yoke where it contacts the two pins on the clutch bearing retainer and clutch yoke pivot area by slowly pushing down on the clutch pedal and observe the various pivot points to see if they are transferring the movement to the next part of the linkage or if the pieces are moving a bit before movement in the next part of the linkage occurs.  Any point that has movement is probably worn and the bushings, pins and contact points can be replaced or repaired to tighten things back up.

• logmillingman and Sammoore13bolens1053 have said thanks

#9 Sammoore13bolens1053 ONLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053

• GTt Junior
  • 187 Thanks
  • 280 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for posting the pictures - looks like your tractor is very similar to my 1053 that I did the thread on.

If there is "a lot of play" (as you describe it) there is a very good chance that parts of the clutch linkage are worn - given that the tractor you have was probably produced around 1971 this is not surprising.  I would check for movement in each pivot point of the clutch linkage, clutch yoke where it contacts the two pins on the clutch bearing retainer and clutch yoke pivot area by slowly pushing down on the clutch pedal and observe the various pivot points to see if they are transferring the movement to the next part of the linkage or if the pieces are moving a bit before movement in the next part of the linkage occurs.  Any point that has movement is probably worn and the bushings, pins and contact points can be replaced or repaired to tighten things back up.

Yep my dad and a engineer that work. For him looked ya it, I figured out that’s the problem. The said too. Don’t have a clue what to do though. The boxy looking thing around the clutch has loads of movement

#10 Sammoore13bolens1053 ONLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053

• GTt Junior
  • 187 Thanks
  • 280 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 04:34 PM

Are bolens tractor parts “mix and match” in a way and if so what models would go with the 1053

#11 Sammoore13bolens1053 ONLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053

• GTt Junior
  • 187 Thanks
  • 280 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 04:37 PM

Also my parking brake isn’t attached but looking at it is seems everything is there. Except for the ‘pulley’ the brake goes to when applied

#12 Sammoore13bolens1053 ONLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053

• GTt Junior
  • 187 Thanks
  • 280 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 04:41 PM

Also I stopped what I thought was the clutch from screeching, it was the belt, I just needed to adjust it. It can easily in high 3rd gear hot 25mph. But I tried adjusting the clutch/brake pedal and now it’s very floppy with no resistance in a way and won’t let me switch gear without grinding.

#13 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,416 Thanks
  • 3,376 posts

Posted February 19, 2018 - 05:44 PM

I figured out that’s the problem. The said too. Don’t have a clue what to do though. The boxy looking thing around the clutch has loads of movement

I am assuming what you are calling "the boxy looking thing around the clutch" is what the parts manual calls the two halves that are clutch yokes.  I have attached a picture from the illustrated parts manual for the 1053 that is located in the manuals section and have put red arrows pointing to the locations that usually wear - the slots in the yokes, the spacer and the yoke support.  The worn areas can be built up with weld and then filed back to shape to achieve a tighter fit.  This will probably require removing the driveshaft assembly from the tractor and unbolting the clutch yoke, spacer and yoke support so the worn areas can be welded and filed.

Attached Thumbnails

• Clutch PArts.jpg

• logmillingman and Sammoore13bolens1053 have said thanks

#14 Sammoore13bolens1053 ONLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053

• GTt Junior
  • 187 Thanks
  • 280 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 06:38 AM

I am assuming what you are calling "the boxy looking thing around the clutch" is what the parts manual calls the two halves that are clutch yokes.  I have attached a picture from the illustrated parts manual for the 1053 that is located in the manuals section and have put red arrows pointing to the locations that usually wear - the slots in the yokes, the spacer and the yoke support.  The worn areas can be built up with weld and then filed back to shape to achieve a tighter fit.  This will probably require removing the driveshaft assembly from the tractor and unbolting the clutch yoke, spacer and yoke support so the worn areas can be welded and filed.

Yep, that’s the one. Could I possibly weld them together? Or wedge so,etching in and weld them, like washers. We have hundreds of different sizes ones.

#15 Sammoore13bolens1053 ONLINE  

Sammoore13bolens1053

• GTt Junior
  • 187 Thanks
  • 280 posts

Posted February 20, 2018 - 06:39 AM

Also any idea if you can het new clutch pads?